GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

weird issue panic braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 12:02 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Default weird issue panic braking

So I was on my way home from work yesterday driving on the freeway. Rush hour traffic so it was relatively slow around 75kph (45mph) but steady flow. All of a sudden the brake lights started coming on the cars in front of me. I hit the brakes also and my abs kicked in. It was one of those moments where you're just not sure if you're going make it unscathed. Any way I stopped ok and nobody rear ended me (yeh!).

A weird thing that happen during my panic stop. As I was braking, I also instinctively pumped my brakes ( I am old school when cars didn't have abs so it's just something I haven't programmed out of myself yet) and when I did this I noticed that for a split second my brake pedal actually locked in the depressed position. A half second later it released and I could pump again. The pedal has been fine ever since, it just seemed weird that it would lock up like that for a split second. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them.
Old 02-06-15, 05:12 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmm. ive never had that happen and ive had to do a couple really hard stops in the car.

but if i were you, i'd flush the system
Old 02-06-15, 05:52 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by marshun
hmm. ive never had that happen and ive had to do a couple really hard stops in the car.

but if i were you, i'd flush the system
Wow, such drastic measures for a single incident LoL
Old 02-06-15, 07:56 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking the car's emergency brake assist kicked in because it detected you were trying to make a panic stop.
Old 02-06-15, 09:08 PM
marshun
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Wow, such drastic measures for a single incident LoL
flushing the system is drastic? it takes like 30 minutes. the rears pump themselves and the fronts you can just gravity bleed. lol

but ive had several "panic stops" cause of traffic jams. 80-0 and nothing weird happened.

better safe than sorry
Old 02-06-15, 10:24 PM
newgsman
Instructor

I doubt its a fluid issue. The fluid has been effectively flushed a couple of times in the last two years because I had to replace both my front calipers. The driver's side I did a second time within six months because the first replacement started leaking prematurely. During normal driving the brakes feel fine and firm. My personal guess is the abs computer went wonky for a second.
Old 02-06-15, 10:31 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I also instinctively pumped my brakes ( I am old school when cars didn't have abs so it's just something I haven't programmed out of myself yet).

Theres your problem there.. Don't Pump the brakes. (User/Driver error)

Nothing wrong with the car.. you did something against the nature of the ABS system..
Old 02-07-15, 05:05 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Theres your problem there.. Don't Pump the brakes. (User/Driver error)

Nothing wrong with the car.. you did something against the nature of the ABS system..
This is what I was sort of guessing as well. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such an event. For a half second it was kind of scary.
Old 02-08-15, 09:51 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This is what I was sort of guessing as well. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such an event. For a half second it was kind of scary.
Well, I've owned my GS400 for 16 years now and have driven it in almost every condition including tracking it and have been very hard on the brakes til in was glowing hot.. Never once did it Fail me. Just mash it and it stops.. Doesn't get any simpler.. (I grew up with classic cars and understand the need to pump the brakes, only if your brake pedal bottoms out do I ever think about pumping them)

Drive your GS with confidence. For an older car, Its still one of the best on the road. Don't ever doubt what it can do.. A good condition GS today is a performance bargain for a Sports-Luxury Sedan.
Old 02-08-15, 08:45 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe whoever changed the calipers screwed up?
Old 02-10-15, 12:59 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Ok here's a bit of an update.

Last night I started hearing clunking coming from the left front side of the car. I don't think the clunking was there a few days before but last night it was very pronounced. It sounded like a broken spring or shock. A couple of years ago I had a somewhat similar sound but not quite as loud. That time it turned out that One of the brake pad clips either broke or fell out and the pad became loose causing it to clunk.

Anyway I took it to my mechanic this morning to have it checked out. It turned out that both of the caliper slider pin bolts holding the caliper to the caliper bracket were missing and the caliper was just hanging there. I was really surprised since I hadn't done any caliper work in almost a year (at least 12-15k miles). Anyway here put in new bolts and everything looks fine now.

Anyway loose both their slider bolts?
Old 02-10-15, 01:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Did anyone recently ask you to increase your life insurance coverage?
Old 02-10-15, 07:21 PM
marshun
Advanced

Ok here's a bit of an update.

Last night I started hearing clunking coming from the left front side of the car. I don't think the clunking was there a few days before but last night it was very pronounced. It sounded like a broken spring or shock. A couple of years ago I had a somewhat similar sound but not quite as loud. That time it turned out that One of the brake pad clips either broke or fell out and the pad became loose causing it to clunk.

Anyway I took it to my mechanic this morning to have it checked out. It turned out that both of the caliper slider pin bolts holding the caliper to the caliper bracket were missing and the caliper was just hanging there. I was really surprised since I hadn't done any caliper work in almost a year (at least 12-15k miles). Anyway here put in new bolts and everything looks fine now.

Anyway loose both their slider bolts?
how the hell? whoever worked on your brakes last probably jacked that one up

but if i had the crazy brake problem then i would hav elooked at it immediately
Old 02-12-15, 11:32 AM
magic5g
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Did anyone recently ask you to increase your life insurance coverage?