GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tired of frosted headlights! Aftermarket lens conversion/replacement question:DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 08:02 AM
Stiggz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of frosted headlights! Aftermarket lens conversion/replacement question:DIY

Hi all...sorry, i searched and came up with nothing...

So some idiot hit my 03 GS on the driver's side and I head to get the headlamp replaced. The brand new headlamp is flawless and i love the way it looks...only thing that sucks now is that my older/passenger's headlamp still has the old frosted look because of the elements and time...I wish to remedy this...i am opposed to purchasing a new headlamp for my passenger's side because the sport design headlamp with titanium housing runs north of $600...i was thinking a cheaper alternative would be to purchase a cheap/aftermarket headlamp, unglue the lens from the aftermarket one and glue it to my stock headlamp housing...

has anyone gone through this process and if you have, which aftermarket lamps/glue did you use?

if there is a DIY on headlight lens replacement, it would be appreciated

thanks all in advance
Old 02-05-15, 08:32 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggz
.i was thinking a cheaper alternative would be to purchase a cheap/aftermarket headlamp, unglue the lens from the aftermarket one and glue it to my stock headlamp housing...
The biggest issue with most cheap aftermarket lights is the lenses going yellow in a very short amount of time. I think you have the right idea with gluing the lens onto your SportDesign housing, but if I were you, I'd spend the money and get the highest quality lamp in your budget.
Old 02-05-15, 08:45 AM
Stiggz
Driver School Candidate

ahhh...i actually never thought about that to tell you the truth...i will keep that in mind and thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-05-15, 09:56 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

You could take one off an aftermarket headlamp and just shoot some clear coat over both sides to prevent that from happening.

Firstly though, have you tried a headlight restoration kit yet?
Old 02-05-15, 10:28 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
You could take one off an aftermarket headlamp and just shoot some clear coat over both sides to prevent that from happening.

Firstly though, have you tried a headlight restoration kit yet?
Without a clear coat application, restoration kits are pointless and worthless and very much a temporary fix. In many cases the so-called restoration kits make it worse once it wears off.
Old 02-05-15, 10:35 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even with a restoration, it won't look as good as a new lens. Depo seem to be regarded as the better quality aftermarket lights, can't say for sure if the lens would bolt up though.
Old 02-05-15, 10:54 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Even with a restoration, it won't look as good as a new lens. Depo seem to be regarded as the better quality aftermarket lights, can't say for sure if the lens would bolt up though.
Been asking about this for years! Hoping somebody with $$ would take a chance
Old 02-05-15, 11:35 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Been asking about this for years! Hoping somebody with $$ would take a chance
I'd like to know as well, would be great for those of us who have retrofits in stock hid housings. My lenses are pretty clear right now but it'd be nice to know if it's an option.
Old 02-05-15, 03:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

There are plenty of Great "used" condition headlights in the $200 range... I just found a pair the other night as i'm always looking for stuff... either buy that or buy a Halogen Depo light and swap the lens... Parts have to meet or exceed OE specs so i'm sure fitment isn't an issue
Old 08-03-15, 02:53 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Definately get the sylvania kit off amazon, by far the best kit I've used, if you follow the instructions your headlight will look as new as the other one
Old 08-03-15, 05:43 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Definately get the sylvania kit off amazon, by far the best kit I've used, if you follow the instructions your headlight will look as new as the other one
Does it come with a means to clear coat the lenses afterward? Because if not, it's just as Mr Jokster said and eventually it'll haze again. I used the 3m kit with my previous lenses and while the lenses came out great initially, eventually they hazed again to the point where I purchased new headlights for my retrofit. If anything, a clear headlight film should be used over the lenses to combat the hazing... something is better than nothing.
Old 08-03-15, 07:13 PM
aj007
Driver School Candidate

I watched a bunch of youtube vids on this recently and basically you have to sand, then buff, then clear coat. I saw a kit that included a can of clear coat at Pep Boys, thought it was 3M but don't see it on their website.
Old 08-03-15, 10:21 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the clear coat includes UV-protection. Otherwise it's useless in a long run.

I just got this:

http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/1...-clearcoat.htm
Old 08-03-15, 11:26 PM
aj007
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, forgot about that. UV protects against yellowing... or so they say.
Old 08-04-15, 12:22 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lutkis
Make sure the clear coat includes UV-protection. Otherwise it's useless in a long run.

I just got this:

http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/1...-clearcoat.htm
How did that work out for you? Last a long time?

Quick Reply: Tired of frosted headlights! Aftermarket lens conversion/replacement question:DIY