GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2003 GS300 Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 08:44 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2003 GS300 Throttle Body

Hi CL Guys,

I deprogrammed my throttle body on my car when I try to clean it and now I have to get another throttle body. The PPS and the TPS no work together and NO keep the engine ON. My question is; I have to take my car to the dealer to reprogram the new throttle body after I install it? or I can do it my self? When I say, I can do it be myself is I can install the throttle body, plug and play? or I really need to take the car to the dealer? Help please.
Old 02-01-15, 10:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You dont need to replace the whole throttle body. How did you "deprogram" it? Is your check engine light on? What codes is it giving?

The car should still stay on, just in limp mode. At the moment, my car is in limp mode and am still able to drive it, I just have to floor the throttle for it to work. If your car still revs like normal, then you have a different problem. When you start it, try revving it before it shuts off and see if it stays on. If it does stay on, see if you have normal throttle response, or if you have to floor the throttle to get any action. That can narrow down the problem.

To adjust the TPS sensor, you can loosen the 2 screws just a little, enough to twist the sensor counter-clockwise about 3mm-5mm and see if that helps. Clockwise will give less throttle, counter clockwise will give you more. Being that the car isnt staying on means it needs more throttle. However, I dont see cleaning it changing the adjustment, most likely the TPS went bad after getting wet and you need a new one. The APPS doesnt need adjusting.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 02-03-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 09:45 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
You dont need to replace the whole throttle body. How did you "deprogram" it? Is your check engine light on? What codes is it giving?

The car should still stay on, just in limp mode. At the moment, my car is in limp mode and am still able to drive it, I just have to floor the throttle for it to work. If your car still revs like normal, then you have a different problem. When you start it, try revving it before it shuts off and see if it stays on. If it does stay on, see if you have normal throttle response, or if you have to floor the throttle to get any action. That can narrow down the problem.

To adjust the TPS sensor, you can loosen the 2 screws just a little, enough to twist the sensor counter-clockwise about 3mm-5mm and see if that helps. Clockwise will give less throttle, counter clockwise will give you more. Being that the car isnt staying on means it needs more throttle. However, I dont see cleaning it changing the adjustment, most likely the TPS went bad after getting wet and you need a new one. The APPS doesnt need adjusting.
Hi Mr Jorster,
First, thanks of answering my question back.
I came to completely remove the TPS to look what happen there because I'm having trouble with my car accelerate from time to time. When I'm entering to another atreet and before I turn I need to stop the car, of courses LOL. and when I entrering to another street I try to advance in that new rod I feel that the gas pedal stock for like 2 or 3 second and also I feel that the car need gasoline. I feel like if the gas pedal had something that stalled for a several seconds. Also, happens to me in a lot of traffic when I need to accelerete and this accelerete the car. After I feel that the gas pedal stumbles a bit and aeveral seconds of that happen, the check engine light, the VSC light and VSC OFF light, all 3 lights show or turn ON at the cluster as the same time. I check the light code and what say is P430. The code machine said that is Bank 2 catalytic malfunction. I will change both O2 sensor in Back 2 ( the last 2 sensor) to see if that was the problem. but don't fix the problem. I completely remove the TPS and there was I believed to be deprogrammed the full throttle body. Because I call a person who work in the toyota dealer and he said to me that I had deprogrammed the throttle body. But I see that he did not know what he said. What I did next day was to play just a littlr be with the throttlr body and pull the acceleration cable halfway until felt that the throttle body inside begin to open and re install the TPS to back to the throttle body and the engine turn ON againg and working out well as factory. GOD help me to do this by myself. When I turn the enginee I wait to the engine was to the normal or maximum temperature to set the TPS to 800 RPM because when start go to 1,500 o something like that and that was I waiting the the engine got to the maximum temperature to make the last adjustment. The car is working, but whenever I feel again the gas pedal to stagnate a bit, the 3 light on the cluster come back again. So, my BIG problem is maybe one of the sensor on the throttle body. The TPS, the PPS or the TBLS Throttle Body Level Sensor? Tha's why people prefer to change the whole throttle body with the 3 sensors, because in the end of the day, is better to change the entire throttle body that spends money trying to figure out which one of the 3 sensor is to be the problem. Thanks for all your help and if this happen to you and you found out what really sensor is the problem, please let me know.

Thanks again bro.
Old 02-10-15, 10:07 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mcon
Hi Mr Jorster,
First, thanks of answering my question back.
I came to completely remove the TPS to look what happen there because I'm having trouble with my car accelerate from time to time. When I'm entering to another atreet and before I turn I need to stop the car, of courses LOL. and when I entrering to another street I try to advance in that new rod I feel that the gas pedal stock for like 2 or 3 second and also I feel that the car need gasoline. I feel like if the gas pedal had something that stalled for a several seconds. Also, happens to me in a lot of traffic when I need to accelerete and this accelerete the car. After I feel that the gas pedal stumbles a bit and aeveral seconds of that happen, the check engine light, the VSC light and VSC OFF light, all 3 lights show or turn ON at the cluster as the same time. I check the light code and what say is P430. The code machine said that is Bank 2 catalytic malfunction. I will change both O2 sensor in Back 2 ( the last 2 sensor) to see if that was the problem. but don't fix the problem. I completely remove the TPS and there was I believed to be deprogrammed the full throttle body. Because I call a person who work in the toyota dealer and he said to me that I had deprogrammed the throttle body. But I see that he did not know what he said. What I did next day was to play just a littlr be with the throttlr body and pull the acceleration cable halfway until felt that the throttle body inside begin to open and re install the TPS to back to the throttle body and the engine turn ON againg and working out well as factory. GOD help me to do this by myself. When I turn the enginee I wait to the engine was to the normal or maximum temperature to set the TPS to 800 RPM because when start go to 1,500 o something like that and that was I waiting the the engine got to the maximum temperature to make the last adjustment. The car is working, but whenever I feel again the gas pedal to stagnate a bit, the 3 light on the cluster come back again. So, my BIG problem is maybe one of the sensor on the throttle body. The TPS, the PPS or the TBLS Throttle Body Level Sensor? Tha's why people prefer to change the whole throttle body with the 3 sensors, because in the end of the day, is better to change the entire throttle body that spends money trying to figure out which one of the 3 sensor is to be the problem. Thanks for all your help and if this happen to you and you found out what really sensor is the problem, please let me know.

Thanks again bro.
Forgive my mistakes to write to you. Here in Florida is One o'clock and assume that I was sleeping several hours ago. What it take to be a fan of cars. Especially of the Lexus GS300. LOL
Old 02-10-15, 11:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I see what you mean by 'deprogramming' the TPS.

Your symptoms does sound like an o2 sensor problem, I've seen members with the same issues and code and the o2's were the problem. If it were the TPS, you'd get I believe p1122 and p1121.

As for being cheaper, unless you plan on getting a used throttle body, its cheaper to buy the 2 sensors and motor. The whole TB costs like $1500 bucks, the tps is $80 for orm $50 for aftermarket, the apps is $200 and the motor is like $100. Again, most likely its the o2's, judging by past thread reads.
Old 02-11-15, 06:03 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

I see what you mean by 'deprogramming' the TPS.

Your symptoms does sound like an o2 sensor problem, I've seen members with the same issues and code and the o2's were the problem. If it were the TPS, you'd get I believe p1122 and p1121.

As for being cheaper, unless you plan on getting a used throttle body, its cheaper to buy the 2 sensors and motor. The whole TB costs like $1500 bucks, the tps is $80 for orm $50 for aftermarket, the apps is $200 and the motor is like $100. Again, most likely its the o2's, judging by past thread reads.
Hi again,
I was changing the last 2 O2 sensors in Bank 2 with 2 new ones and the problems still. So, for me is not the O2 sensors. What motor is what are you talking about? The Throttle Body Level Sensor?? Or with one? Thanks your for all your help. You Rock
Old 02-11-15, 09:01 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dont you have to adjust the tps to read 5%? at idle? or did you do this already? going by your rpms on the gauge isnt that accurate

i may be thinking of another car. but im thinking this works for this car too.
Old 02-12-15, 04:29 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Hi again,
I was changing the last 2 O2 sensors in Bank 2 with 2 new ones and the problems still. So, for me is not the O2 sensors. What motor is what are you talking about? The Throttle Body Level Sensor?? Or with one? Thanks your for all your help. You Rock
Try unplugging the battery overnight and reset the computer and see if the code returns.

Originally Posted by marshun
dont you have to adjust the tps to read 5%? at idle? or did you do this already? going by your rpms on the gauge isnt that accurate

i may be thinking of another car. but im thinking this works for this car too.
Yes you're correct. If its higher, then your idle is higher, if its lower, the idle is lower. It wasnt really hard to make a guess after fidgeting with it a bit.
Old 02-12-15, 04:35 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If it is a throttle body issue, Lexus has a free campaign going where they are fixing issues associated with it and the infamous limp mode
Old 02-12-15, 08:17 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try unplugging the battery overnight and reset the computer and see if the code returns.

Yes you're correct. If its higher, then your idle is higher, if its lower, the idle is lower. It wasnt really hard to make a guess after fidgeting with it a bit.
cool. so im automatically thinking that his idle is too high
Old 02-12-15, 06:56 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

I know who to unplug the battery, but who can I reset the computer. I've never done that before. let me know when you have a chances please. Thanks again
Old 02-12-15, 07:29 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by burny
If it is a throttle body issue, Lexus has a free campaign going where they are fixing issues associated with it and the infamous limp mode
What I have to do? Call my local Lexus Dealer and ask or tell the person in service that I have problem with my throttle body and the service department say to me that I have to make appointment or what" I have not idea what I need to say or ask for services? I mention this to you because the nearest Lexus dealer that I have is an hour and a half from my house and are strong enough when I call the dealer and ask things like that. They do not want to help any one when ask something like that and I don't want to lose my time in go beyond and tell me that is not true. So, that why I'm ask you, that I have to say on the phone so they say to me if I have to take the car to the dealer or not? Thanks for your help also.
Old 02-13-15, 12:21 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I know who to unplug the battery, but who can I reset the computer. I've never done that before. let me know when you have a chances please. Thanks again
By unplugging the battery overnight automatically resets the computer.

What I have to do? Call my local Lexus Dealer and ask or tell the person in service that I have problem with my throttle body and the service department say to me that I have to make appointment or what" I have not idea what I need to say or ask for services? I mention this to you because the nearest Lexus dealer that I have is an hour and a half from my house and are strong enough when I call the dealer and ask things like that. They do not want to help any one when ask something like that and I don't want to lose my time in go beyond and tell me that is not true. So, that why I'm ask you, that I have to say on the phone so they say to me if I have to take the car to the dealer or not? Thanks for your help also.
There are no signs that its your throttle body, that was your initial guess but is incorrect (for now). The codes dont even direct you to that. Reset the computer and see if that solves the problem, the computer may not see that you put new sensors in yet.
Old 02-14-15, 08:48 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

By unplugging the battery overnight automatically resets the computer.

There are no signs that its your throttle body, that was your initial guess but is incorrect (for now). The codes dont even direct you to that. Reset the computer and see if that solves the problem, the computer may not see that you put new sensors in yet.
Thanks again.

One more think. I installi the O2 sensors more than 3 months ago. The computer is assumed to have already recognized, right?

To many thanks for all your help and good comments about my issue with my car.
Old 02-14-15, 09:18 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I just rechecked the code. I thought the code was for the o2 sensors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt this a bad Catalytic Converter problem? BTW, your 3rd post said you were GOING TO change them, now you're saying you changed them 3 months ago?

Quick Reply: 2003 GS300 Throttle Body