GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front wheel shake at 60MPH

Old 01-31-15, 10:11 AM
RSheridan9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel shake at 60MPH

Hey everyone, I have a 02 GS300. In June of 2014 I replaced Lower Control arms, Ball Joints, and Rod ends. Just last week I recently had EBC Ultimax rotors, Green stuff pads, and new steel braided brake lines. I have been dealing with the shake in the wheel at 55-65Mph since June which led me to the suspension replacement parts. I still have the wheel shake as of today. I did an alignment after the suspension parts and just before i replaced the brake parts. Does anyone have any idea what could possible be causing my wheel to shake pretty bad?? I feel like I am doing damage to my car I just do not know what it could be. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Ryan
Old 01-31-15, 10:49 AM
Aamirsc400
Driver School Candidate

have you checked the wheel balance on all 4 tires?
Old 01-31-15, 10:49 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

unfortunately it could be a ton of things.

Do a search there are megathreads on people trying to nail down the shake for their specific car. And what solves it for for 1 car might not solve it for you.

Most though have it the worst if they are using aftermarket wheels/rims with lowering.
If you stick with the stock wheels with good quality new tires and stock suspension, the shake is most hidden.
It is still there, just being cancelled out.

You can try all the cheap things first, but hold your breath if the shake is still there-or you think you got it, but comes back the next week when it turns cold, or after you filled up with gas, or if 2 blue cars then a yellow car drove past you (basically random).
Old 01-31-15, 10:56 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll point you to this thread to start reading:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...on-thread.html
Old 01-31-15, 11:10 AM
RSheridan9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aamirsc400
have you checked the wheel balance on all 4 tires?
Yes within the past 4 months all 4 wheels have been refinished and all 4 tires are in good condition.
Old 01-31-15, 11:13 AM
RSheridan9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raytseng
I'll point you to this thread to start reading:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...on-thread.html
Good info on the thread thanks for lookin out! I am going to check out the Daizen bushing kit and maybe some new sway links.
Old 01-31-15, 11:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

please check the DIY guide in my signature for your issues. Many great threads on shaking and suspension problems
Old 01-31-15, 12:45 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSheridan9
Good info on the thread thanks for lookin out! I am going to check out the Daizen bushing kit and maybe some new sway links.
Do NOT get the Daizen bushings kit.

I've just gone through the same thing, and I've read every thread in the suspension forum twice.

The biggest typical culprit is the Caster Arm Bushings. The only company that makes a good bushing that makes up for the design flaw in our cars is Figs. I just installed their poly caster arm bushings, along with their poly control arm bushings while I was at it, and not only did it eliminate the wheel shake, but steering feels tighter and more responsive, and the brake feel is much improved!

The upgraded caster arm bushings will remove a lot of the stress off the ball joints that causes them to catastrophically fail prematurely.

Of course, the next most likely thing is wheel/tire balance. I've heard that there is a 'road force balancer' that you want to make sure the shop you go to uses. I guess they balance it for a higher speed (more precise).

The last thing you can do is the poly steering rack bushings - for those I did go Daizen.

With those things taken care of, and an alignment done, there should be no steering wheel shake whatsoever. If there is, something is seriously wrong, most likely with the alignment or wheels/tires.

Now, the audible clunking is another thing altogether, if you find you have that once the above is done, I can help with that as well.
Old 01-31-15, 03:13 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stay away from any urethane bushings - EXCEPT the rack bushings

Things that effect vibration in the 2GS: ( besides the obvious wheel issues)

- Steering rack pretensioner adjustment

- Caster arms

- Upper and lower balljoints and tierods ( the uppers in particular caused a lot on my car, as the bushings in the arms also wear)

- The latest news from me is that my rear knuckle bushings were worn and that caused a vibration that I thought was the front.

My car now rides as smooth as glass, and this is my "winter beater" GS - with the things I've learned on this car I'll go over the summer GS once it's back on the road.
Old 01-31-15, 03:18 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had vibration caused by a seized caliper. It's something easy to rule out by jacking up the front of the car and making sure the wheels spin freely.

Also, get your tires road force balanced. It really does help.
Old 01-31-15, 05:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Dont forget to add to the list, could be wheel bearing.
Old 01-31-15, 06:24 PM
Beaugs4
Driver School Candidate

Also did you clean the hub mounting surface of any rust before installing new rotors? Ive noticed this can cause vibration
Old 02-01-15, 09:19 AM
RSheridan9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Do NOT get the Daizen bushings kit.

I've just gone through the same thing, and I've read every thread in the suspension forum twice.

The biggest typical culprit is the Caster Arm Bushings. The only company that makes a good bushing that makes up for the design flaw in our cars is Figs. I just installed their poly caster arm bushings, along with their poly control arm bushings while I was at it, and not only did it eliminate the wheel shake, but steering feels tighter and more responsive, and the brake feel is much improved!

The upgraded caster arm bushings will remove a lot of the stress off the ball joints that causes them to catastrophically fail prematurely.

Of course, the next most likely thing is wheel/tire balance. I've heard that there is a 'road force balancer' that you want to make sure the shop you go to uses. I guess they balance it for a higher speed (more precise).

The last thing you can do is the poly steering rack bushings - for those I did go Daizen.

With those things taken care of, and an alignment done, there should be no steering wheel shake whatsoever. If there is, something is seriously wrong, most likely with the alignment or wheels/tires.

Now, the audible clunking is another thing altogether, if you find you have that once the above is done, I can help with that as well.
Thank you very much. I have been looking at Figs and just to double check you are referring to the #2 Caster arm bushings correct? I replaced lower control arms, ball joints, and tie rod ends in June so I know I am good there. Also my all 4 wheel have been refinished and balanced within the last 4 months vitually making them brand new. Also the 4 tires are in good shape so no worries there.

If its just a bushing problem i will be so relieved! I feel like I have been chasing this problem for the past 6 months!.

I found the #2 Caster Bushings on Figs and they are reasonably priced.
Old 02-01-15, 09:22 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

yes those are the ones.
Old 02-01-15, 09:23 AM
RSheridan9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
Stay away from any urethane bushings - EXCEPT the rack bushings

Things that effect vibration in the 2GS: ( besides the obvious wheel issues)

- Steering rack pretensioner adjustment

- Caster arms

- Upper and lower balljoints and tierods ( the uppers in particular caused a lot on my car, as the bushings in the arms also wear)

- The latest news from me is that my rear knuckle bushings were worn and that caused a vibration that I thought was the front.

My car now rides as smooth as glass, and this is my "winter beater" GS - with the things I've learned on this car I'll go over the summer GS once it's back on the road.
When you say to stay away from the urethane bushings what exactly are you referring to? The ones from Figs? or from Daizen?

I was also thinking of Upper Control arms but I think if i shore up the lower half by replacing the Caster arm bushings i can have peace of mind at least haha. Replacing the caster bushings would mean i have replaced ever front lower suspension part possible within the last 6 months.

Any good suggestions on upper control arms?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front wheel shake at 60MPH