GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 2002 GS430 drinks a full tank in just 72 miles! Is that normal?

Old 01-28-15, 04:26 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow I drive like a mad man most of the time... and I get 10mpg average all city, with 20's,spare tire, and system. that's crazy. this tank I took it really easy on the gas and averaged 19.1 city. NOT BAD!!
Old 01-28-15, 07:21 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are leaking 3/4 of a gallon every 4 miles you drive it would be more than a "little gas smell" a clogged air filter will rob power but gas mileage should not be much worse since the computer compensates. Clean the maf, throttle body ect. Then look at sensors, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel injector leak, fuel injector cleaning. Your exhaust must look like a diesel at full throttle.
Old 01-28-15, 10:42 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 360mpg mostly highway vs. your 72mpg freeway/city. Wow. Something is definitely wrong.
Old 01-28-15, 10:58 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 4mpg there would be something so far off that the ECU would know unless it is blatantly leaking fuel somewhere.

Check for CELs, do some troubleshooting like checking fuel pressure etc then move onto maintenance type things like plugs and wires.
Old 01-31-15, 05:19 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

72 to a tank is unheard of.. even the poorest ragged out GS's getting atleast 220 to a tank that i've seen so far..

yeah, i would say you're leaking gas or somebody siphon your gas. Fill up another tank and try again is the only way to prove whichever the problem comes from..
Old 01-31-15, 07:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

how many miles on the vehicle. If its over 100k has the spark plugs, fuel filter been changed? I would definitely take it in if you have that poor gas mileage. Start with a bottle of fuel and injection cleaner...
Old 01-31-15, 08:10 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

would check the plugs. Wouldn't bother with the fuel filter, that would only restrict consumption, not encourage it.
But honestly i'd spend more time trying to find a reputable tech...granted, in Lagos that might be utterly impossible but give it a go. Maybe plug into the expat community somehow and they may have suggestions on a good shop
Old 01-31-15, 08:18 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
would check the plugs. Wouldn't bother with the fuel filter, that would only restrict consumption, not encourage it.
But honestly i'd spend more time trying to find a reputable tech...granted, in Lagos that might be utterly impossible but give it a go. Maybe plug into the expat community somehow and they may have suggestions on a good shop
Yes DONT bother with the fuel filter. Since you smell gas FIRST check your gas cap and check all your lines for leaks it's definitely leaking if you Gettin that low of MPG
Old 01-31-15, 08:33 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetdukes
Actually yes I am smelling gas occasionally when I'm driving...didn't know what to make of it cos I had the windows down. Will take your advice & check the fuel line.
Unless you got dumped exhaust tips in front of your rear axle you should never smell gas. Anytime you smell gas you should get that figured out instead of just saying to yourself I think that's gas I smell. I had this issue on my impala ss and it turned out to be a bad EGR valve and a small leak in the fuel line which was throwing off the pressure. I was loosing gas parked in the sun and running. Once i got my fuel pressure in order my mpg improved noticeably.
Old 02-02-15, 02:24 AM
Sweetdukes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Unless you got dumped exhaust tips in front of your rear axle you should never smell gas. Anytime you smell gas you should get that figured out instead of just saying to yourself I think that's gas I smell. I had this issue on my impala ss and it turned out to be a bad EGR valve and a small leak in the fuel line which was throwing off the pressure. I was loosing gas parked in the sun and running. Once i got my fuel pressure in order my mpg improved noticeably.
Hi guys sorry I went missing for a while...went through the full range of emotions, happy, upset, depression, anxiety...then said f*#k it...I'm going to do it myself lol.

I'd really like to thank everyone on this forum for their help...probably would have sold the car if it wasn't for you guys.
I started by opened the air fliter housing & saw that the previous owner had not put in the correct sized air filter leading to the MAF...which was pretty annoying to find out.

The MAF sensor which someone on here mentioned to check...I didn't have a clue what the hell that was for...but thanks to Google & YouTube I knew what it was and how to clean it...sorted that out with MAF sensor spray cleaner.

Got to the throttle valve next...and it too was dirty as hell! Cleaned what I could with a paper towel but will need to buy throttle spray cleaner to really go to work in there.

Then the spark plugs...after getting the first one out & seeing it was covered in carbon...I then proceeded to remove the other 7 of them. Now I know it's best to change your plugs if they are dirty...but the mechanic I was working with said it would be best to have the injector checked out too...cos apparently the plugs are not ment to get so dirty & the exhaust was spitting out black carbon particles too. So as a temporary fix had them cleaned and put back in & put in a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank.

I then noticed that there was an oil leak coming from somewhere...so jacked the car up & found that it was coming from the oil filter. New filter...bad plastic ring...so decided to change the oil filter completely as our mechanics here in Lagos are known for washing out used oil filters and putting them back and calling them new lol.

So whilst I was under the car...I looked all down the two exhaust pipes & found a whole bunch of holes on the pipes leading up to the muffler. I just couldn't believe it! There was a mediocre patch job on each pipe which was also leaking, along with some other holes on the tailpipes. So basically both exhausts need to be changed.

After doing all that & taking note of getting the injector checked out & having the exhaust pipes changed...my VSC lights were both off & stayed off

Once again thanks for all the help guys & I will get back to you once I've had the exhaust changed & injector checked out.
Old 02-02-15, 02:27 AM
Sweetdukes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
how many miles on the vehicle. If its over 100k has the spark plugs, fuel filter been changed? I would definitely take it in if you have that poor gas mileage. Start with a bottle of fuel and injection cleaner...
84k miles on it
Old 02-02-15, 03:07 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

wow, i'm astonished that a Lexus with 84K miles that hasn't been well taken cared for and has a lack of service to be in such poor shape.. like i said pretty unheard of but I'm now aware that even great cars as this can be a disaster if not properly maintained..
Old 02-02-15, 05:21 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't really believe that it consumes that fuel..at that bad fuel economy, i would think of a leak first or someone stealing fuel...
i'm interested in how your gas consumption will go down after a good service.
Old 02-02-15, 10:33 AM
Sweetdukes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
wow, i'm astonished that a Lexus with 84K miles that hasn't been well taken cared for and has a lack of service to be in such poor shape.. like i said pretty unheard of but I'm now aware that even great cars as this can be a disaster if not properly maintained..
Well cosmetically it looks great...its only when I began to drive it & eventually looked closely @ what was under the hood did I really notice all the bs.
Old 02-02-15, 10:53 AM
Sweetdukes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brainsurge
I can't really believe that it consumes that fuel..at that bad fuel economy, i would think of a leak first or someone stealing fuel...
i'm interested in how your gas consumption will go down after a good service.

I, like you, could not believe the rate of fuel consumption either. I literally filled up the tank...hit the freeway to where I was going to & came back the same way...only to notice that my tank was practically empty @72 miles on the clock!

The guy I bought the car from tried to pass off the fuel consumption rate as absolutely normal.I never owned a V8 but was like if this is the rate of fuel consumption then I guess I'm going to quit this elite club immediately.

I've always browsed these forums, even before buying a Lexus...I was seeing 200-300 miles on a full tank. So it made no sense to me how I was getting 1mile = 1litre? Which prompted me to create an account & ask wtf!?

Hopefully after all the work is completed...I will start to see a huge difference in milage & fuel consumption.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 2002 GS430 drinks a full tank in just 72 miles! Is that normal?