GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any possible way to make staggered 22's look good?

Old 01-22-15, 01:59 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any possible way to make staggered 22's look good?

I was thinking of going 21's, but there are a lot more 22's available. I checked some pictures and I feel like some could maybe look alright with some fender work and a drop.. Not a fan of Donks and I don't know too much about offsets, fender pulling, shaving ect.. I know half the members on here in the VIP scene know how to make just about everything look good. Is it possible? Or will it look too big and sit high?

Sorry I know big wheels are not everyone's cup of tea, And some will throw up reading this. But i came from a Chrysler 300 lowered on 24's and a silverado lowered on 28's. they were not donk, the wheels just perfectly fit the wheel well
Old 01-22-15, 02:24 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only seen a single 2GS with wheels over 20" that looked good (in my opinion), but even in that case, his car was low enough where it didn't look ridiculous, had bodywork to match and had a body kit which made the car "appear" lower to the ground. If you're willing to do the work necessary to make them fit the overall look of the car then by all means go for it. Otherwise, I'd say it'll look like a 4x4; even 19- or 20-inch wheels look ridiculous when not lowered... again, just my opinion.
Old 01-22-15, 04:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

i honestly think 22's are to big... The Chrysler can handle it because of the larger wheel wells and big body frame... its not in the best interest of the your GS lol...
Old 01-22-15, 05:15 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest wheel size I would put on a 2gs is 19s honestly. Even 20s just look a little too big, 22s would look silly.
Old 01-22-15, 07:30 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

19-20 max.... 22's are for big body's, such as the LS.
Old 01-22-15, 08:45 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a quick Google image search... The cars that look awful on 22's greatly outnumber the cars that look okay on 22's. If you manage to pull the look off, kudos to you, but that's a pretty expensive gamble.

I'm on 20's and they're just a little bit too big, IMO. I REALLY like 19's on these cars.
Old 01-22-15, 01:29 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One hell of a radius would be needed on the fenders and 1/4s. Most people aren't willing to cough up the coin when it comes time to replace tires on 21s. I'm all for daring to be different but I'm gonna have to say steer clear of the 22's

Last edited by nelson09; 01-22-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 02:30 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feed back guys, I just have this vision in my head... And it looks so good.. But like mveale said its an expensive gamble, I just get very temped when I look at mr jokester's car and whoevers cars these are

I think I'm going to keep the 20's. but if I stumble upon a cheap nice set of staggered asanti wheels on craigslist I might just try it. Ill get some coils and try to tuck tires and make it look like aggressive as possible
Old 01-22-15, 02:43 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I've only seen a single 2GS with wheels over 20" that looked good (in my opinion), but even in that case, his car was low enough where it didn't look ridiculous, had bodywork to match and had a body kit which made the car "appear" lower to the ground. If you're willing to do the work necessary to make them fit the overall look of the car then by all means go for it. Otherwise, I'd say it'll look like a 4x4; even 19- or 20-inch wheels look ridiculous when not lowered... again, just my opinion.
I agree, the ones who pull off 21's or 22's are far fewer than those who look ridiculous. It's difficult to make them flow on a stockish car, I wouldn't even consider them without a body kit. The one posted above doesn't look as bad as most since he got the fitment and drop right, with a nice kit I could see myself liking that car.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 01-22-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 02:57 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good to me.
Old 01-22-15, 04:15 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

When it comes to 22's on the gs, less wheel the better. When you have a solid face like the one above, it over exaggerates the size of the wheel The pic above doesnt look that bad, maybe its the angle. Also, if you do 22's, in my opinion bags are a MUST and maybe even a body kit, hydraulics would probably be optimal to get even lower. Just like North Style said, anything to make the car appear as low as possible. Theres a GS tubbed up front on hydros and he lays body no body kit. So its possible. Bags have the metal sleeve in the middle that stops it from dropping all the way down to its fullest potential. I dont have the pic on hand, but its quite a build.

Here are some fitted 22's:

up high:

Dumped

Tire fitment is where the problem comes in hand. Unless you go 25 series, you'll have a problem. I've found that even if brands have the same size and series tires, some have just a little more meat and you just cant use them. Even with 245/30's i've had to do some shaving on the steering knuckle bolt and use a spacer (more of an offset issue). I could only use the Pirelli P-Zero Nero, no others fit. Its an expensive tire, but it does last a LONG time. You could probably stretch a tire on as well. Up front is where most of the problem is, tubbing the front would make things a bit easier and give you an extre inch or 2 drop. When I dump my car up front, it sits on the tires, its not the top of the wheel well, its the sides cause its in a shape of an egg. The rears will sit on the floor (with a proper bag) with no problem, if you go fitted, you'll rub right where the bumper meets the quarter panel (some guys with 20s have that problem too). Pulling fenders isnt really gonna help like it does with 20s because theres more wheel, so you'd have to pull wider (front to back) and it will look weird, plus you'll be rolling tucked for the most part anyways to compensate for the extra height. Rolling is a big must though.

You cant do fitment with 22's like you do with smaller wheels. The more aggressive you go, the more donk it naturally looks with all the extra wheel. You can only go for complete flush.

With a little passion, patience and smarts (and $$), you can build a gs on 22's correctly.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 01-22-15 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 04:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and camber is your friend I have this much camber in order to dump with no damage. As you can tell from the bottom, the wheels are quite far out enough to be flush when raised.

Old 01-22-15, 06:07 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

thanks mr jokster! i just might do it... 25 series with a stretched tire is what i have on the rears of my 20's right now and the ride isn't too bad. i wouldn't mind a staggered setup (not too aggressive on rears) similar too the picture i posted. im not really into the whole slammed look so i would be fine just tucking the tire. is there any thing i should look for when looking for wheels, like offsets and stuff. i don't know much about wheel fitment sorry.
Old 01-22-15, 08:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

offsets are the same no matter what size the wheel is. Just find out what offset sits flush and get it, or just slightly less than flush. either way, I believe a flush or stretched tire is needed as to not have the nasty meaty looking tire that makes the car stance like a pit bull with too much muscle

Old 01-22-15, 09:46 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great example of 22's done right! Not sure if he's on the forum. Oh and it's on hydraulics
Attached Thumbnails Any possible way to make staggered 22's look good?-20150122_1820.png  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any possible way to make staggered 22's look good?