GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 10:55 AM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 catalytic converters

Newbie here, but a long time lurker. I have a '01 GS430 that has been recently diagnosed with clogged/bad catalytic converters by a Lexus dealership. They advised me to replace it with OEM parts, but a single cat alone cost $1,500! I'm talking about the two cats that come after my headers/exhaust manifold on both sides. I'm wondering if any of you guys can point me to the right direction as regards to a trusted and direct fit aftermarket catalytic converter?
Old 01-13-15, 04:02 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for exhaust leaks first. See if this makes the CEL go away.
Old 01-13-15, 04:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

check ebay for stock or aftermarket replacements.... That price is crazy...
Old 01-14-15, 02:13 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Or get aftermarket high flow cats.
Old 01-14-15, 11:13 AM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Check for exhaust leaks first. See if this makes the CEL go away.
I've considered that and we looked closely into it, found no leaks.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
check ebay for stock or aftermarket replacements.... That price is crazy...
I found a Magnaflow one... anybody reading this have this on their car? http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...ow__49909.html
Old 01-14-15, 11:53 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious - would one see a performance gain from a high-flow cat and otherwise stock exhaust system? What are the other key bottlenecks, in order?
Old 01-14-15, 01:18 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

You will gain some from the high flow cats alone - if you don't want to make noise then the rest of the system will be tough.

If you don't mind noise you can get a catback system and the Y-pipe from megan for the SC430 fits with a small extension.

You could also do the Y pipe and keep the stock catback.
Old 01-14-15, 01:21 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by royalspade
I've considered that and we looked closely into it, found no leaks.

I found a Magnaflow one... anybody reading this have this on their car? http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...ow__49909.html
The Magnaflow (or other "jobber" cats) are garbage, there's a reason they are so cheap - I've seen them melt and crack lots.

Get a good set of spiral metal core cats and you'll be set, I have had those on my GS for years.

PM me if you need help, I'm in Canada too
Old 01-14-15, 05:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Magnaflows on my 02 GS430. Ran into the same problem as you, my right cat got clogged. Mine have been on for a year and a half and no problems so far (fingers crossed).

I didn't notice any real performance gain.
Old 01-15-15, 08:03 AM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
The Magnaflow (or other "jobber" cats) are garbage, there's a reason they are so cheap - I've seen them melt and crack lots.

Get a good set of spiral metal core cats and you'll be set, I have had those on my GS for years.

PM me if you need help, I'm in Canada too
I already pulled the trigger on the Magnaflow one before I saw your PM lol

Originally Posted by MattyG
I have the Magnaflows on my 02 GS430. Ran into the same problem as you, my right cat got clogged. Mine have been on for a year and a half and no problems so far (fingers crossed).

I didn't notice any real performance gain.
Awesome, fingers crossed mine lasts too haha. I don't mind not having any performance gain.
Old 01-15-15, 11:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

I already pulled the trigger on the Magnaflow one before I saw your PM lol

Awesome, fingers crossed mine lasts too haha. I don't mind not having any performance gain.
I hope you realize you just wasted money. I am surprised no one else said this since I must have said this myself at least 7 times to different people. 99.99% of the time its an exhaust leak or most likely the O2 sensors. The cats rarely ever go bad on these cars, they are built to last, hence why they cost $1500 and an american car has cats that costs $200 you can assume the diffference in price is for a reason. Also, non OEM cats will make the car lose power as it requires the back pressure the CATS cause because it all runs together to form a constant flow of pressure to deliver power to the car. Unless your changing the entire exhaust setup you might notice a loss in power from the NON-OEM cats. Change your O2 sensors first.

Last edited by DMPesso; 01-15-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 01:41 PM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I hope you realize you just wasted money. I am surprised no one else said this since I must have said this myself at least 7 times to different people. 99.99% of the time its an exhaust leak or most likely the O2 sensors. The cats rarely ever go bad on these cars, they are built to last, hence why they cost $1500 and an american car has cats that costs $200 you can assume the diffference in price is for a reason. Also, non OEM cats will make the car lose power as it requires the back pressure the CATS cause because it all runs together to form a constant flow of pressure to deliver power to the car. Unless your changing the entire exhaust setup you might notice a loss in power from the NON-OEM cats. Change your O2 sensors first.

I should have mentioned this before, my GS has noticeable power loss and feels sluggish. I have an (Ebay) aftermarket exhaust. Could an exhaust leak and or a bad sensor be the cause of the sluggish-ness and power loss?
Old 01-16-15, 01:26 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

If u got the "oem" version of the magnaflows u should be okay these come with double the metals that remove the CO and NOx and all. They are the magnaflow cat line that are California emissions approved.. so should last.

How many miles does ur gs430 have? Depending on the codes it's throwing may be a good idea to change all the O2 sensors..from my experiences once one of those goes bad all if them go bad. There's some decent deals in denso oem o2 sensors..
Old 01-16-15, 01:49 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

I should have mentioned this before, my GS has noticeable power loss and feels sluggish. I have an (Ebay) aftermarket exhaust. Could an exhaust leak and or a bad sensor be the cause of the sluggish-ness and power loss?
You would also hear if you had a leak.

If you feel a power loss - look through your cats with a light and see if they are clogged.
Old 01-16-15, 06:21 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

do you have any check engine lights? the O2 sensors can DEFINITELY make the car sluggish! but 90% of the time when an O2 sensor is bad it will throw a CEL.. When did you notice the power loss? This GS430 is designed very uniquely, depending on what kind of aftermarket exhaust you put on and what you removed in the process that could also be the reason for your power loss as like i said before the performance of the car depends alot on the back pressure the exhaust provides.

Quick Reply: GS430 catalytic converters