GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Electrical/starting/etc. problems (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 12:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Electrical/starting/etc. problems (long read)

EDIT: New problems have occurred, please read down below to post 5. Thanks
Second edit: Car is completely dead now and I believe this thread ties together with whats happening now, heres the new thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rting-out.html It looks to be a problem with my ignition switch.

Ok so I'm pretty well endowed when it comes to electronics and mechanics, but at the moment I'm stumped... Here's a long story with different things I've done, I'll make random paragraphs to not let it look so long

For the last 3 weeks I've had what I would assume to be a parasitic drain (wake up every morning with dead battery) and as with many things recently since I've lost my job I get fatter and lazier... so I've done nothing to correct the problem, only keep it charged.

Some information:

I'm running 3 unisolated batteries
Alternator a month old
starter battery about 6 months old
~100ft of 0awg wire in addition to "The Big Three" for ample charging

Ok, so for 3 weeks this has been a problem, I thought at first the weather was the culprit because the first morning this occurred was our first freezing night and every night thereafter. One thing I did was charged over night and it was still dead in the morning (not every time, only charged over night a few times). Another thing was charged it in the morning NOT drive it all day to see if it would drain throughout the day and try to start it at night. It fired up just fine, thus making me --> in regards to parasitic drain and make me believe its more of a cold thing.

In addition... Since the alternator replacement (as well as something I do on the regular basis) I keep an eye on my voltage meter because I'm only running 150a alternator for a huge stereo system and dual air compressor set up for my air ride, so I like to know that things are at least stable... anyways, voltage has stayed rather steady at 13.8v-14v kinda low since back in the day its been at 14.4v, but the car is a grandpa, so cant expect it to run like a teenager. (btw I'm pretty colorful with my writing, so I apologize for the long windiness).

Some timeline to current issue (longevity of timeline is precedented):

So up to this past week voltage is as said above... Now to today. Last night I began charging at about 11pm, woke up at 7a and it was fully charged and car started up just fine. Went to church and noticed it was reading 13.7v, didnt think too much, its just a .1v variance. Came home at about 11a and car sat until about 6p and expected maybe a slow struggle start, but it fired up like a champ! Ok so I go visit the parental's and about 2 hours later we go to pick up a movie, starts just fine. I shut car off get movie, get back in car, start up and head off. At this point I notice the car charging at 13.4v-13.5v, pretty significant to me as an OCD sufferer. So thinking its possibly just the cold night and the HID's running, I shut off my headlights at a stop light.

Heres where it gets interesting. When I turned the headlights back on, my radio shut off as well as all the lighting for the climate control (and maybe the clock, not certain). They then turned back on within a second. As I drove off, I shut my headlights off and on again a few more times on the way home out of curiosity and the same power cycling happened with the radio and climate control lights.

Now I'm at parents house and begin again with turning the lights on and off to force what was happening to happen so I can soak in whats happening and begin troubleshooting. It got to the point to where it stopped happening and all was back to normal. Now I recalled again the problems with the dead battery and though oh boy, I bet the battery just died and I'm running purely on alternator power, so I test the hypothesis by turning the car off and attempting to start it again. Car fired up like a champ. I shut car off, on again like a champ. Did this about 4 times. On 4th time I noticed that the headlights didnt turn on.

On the 5th time, car took a shat on me! ALL lights dim as if the battery was completely dead, headlights off, fogs had enough power to be on (but dim) turned the key and not even a click. DEAD. So I'm like, great... Stranded. I go inside ponder on the situation, create a soundboard with mechanically inclined friends. Ideas consist of yes battery just took a shat and the fact that 3 batteries arent isolated. The obvious one or both of the auxiliary batteries possibly bad and draining the starter battery.

Now another bazaar incident. About 40 minutes later I went out to play with things again... Car started like it did right off the showroom at Lexus. Again with the -->

This throws out the idea of dead batteries. First thing that comes to mind is bad connection. Being that I just swapped the alternator, I was in high hopes that maybe one of the grounds or hot wire came loose, makes sense... NO DICE

So here I am. Uncertain if these 2 problems are related, or independent. Tonight I'm removing the fuse from the starter battery to the auxiliary batteries in order to rule out those draining the starter battery. Now I'm up for some opinions to what could be causing these peculiar phenomenons...

Thank you to all whom have taken the time to read all of this.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 03-23-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 12:36 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Where are you measuring the charging voltage from ?

Anyway you can eliminate the other batteries one at a time or all together. That would help you find maybe a battery as the culprit.
Old 01-12-15, 01:08 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea thats why I've removed the fuse separating the auxiliary batteries from the starter battery to see if it is those. If I wake up tomorrow and find everything is fine, that will narrow the problem down to the auxiliaries; then I can start from there and see which could be bad.

When I built the set up, I started with the batteries in the tire well and created multiple false floors above them, so getting to them will be a bit of a task, I didnt want to get into that until I was certain they were part of the problem.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 01-12-15 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 11:26 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well gees... I guess this long story didnt need to be written. Woke up this morning and the car started just fine. Looks like it was the auxiliary batteries going bad. Still a bit peculiar when i look at all the symptoms. I dont get how the car can act completely dead at one point, then fire right up minutes later. I would assume that if the batteries were dead, they would stay dead, especially if they drained the starter battery...
Old 01-13-15, 05:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Problem is NOT solved Heres what happened after fuse was removed.

I removed the fuse going to the rear batteries from the starter battery last night as said and woke up this morning and the car started (meaning no battery drain) I thought I narrowed the problem down. Only started the car, didnt drive it. Car sat from about 11p last night up till 5:30 this evening and car started up with no problem.

Well, pops needed a ride to church tonight (5:30p) so I replaced the fuse and took him. As I drove him home, my headlights and radio shut off and on. I drove home (went to bank first) as I pulled up to the parking spot I shut the car off and I immediately saw my headlights shut off and all my lights dimmed and just as I thought it would, it didnt start. I went under hood and removed the fuse to the rear batteries hoping that would solve the problem, it didnt, however about 1 minute later my dad heard a noise in the car. Whatever it was, it meant power was going through the car again and sure enough the car started without hesitance. .

I go to gas station and same thing happened as I pulled up, however, after pumping gas, the car magically turned on. This incident is now happening with the rear batteries not connected to the car anymore, so this tells me its yet another problem not having to do with the batteries.

As I drive pops home, my passenger headlight flickers, driver side shuts off then on and radio power cycles. This happens multiple times to his house and also back to mine. I park in garage and keep car on and try to force it to happen again by moving all wires on and around alternator, move and check the wires on battery and the grounds from battery (both ends). I cant get it to do anything. So as I stand there pondering, then the headlights flicker yet again and I assume the radio shuts off as well. This is with the car just parked in idle. I'm stumped.

About 30 minutes later I go to pick up pops to get some grub. As I pull out of garage, it happens again and the car actually sputters almost shutting off. I said screw it, keep going, I'm hungry... As I'm driving I lower window and it goes down extremely slow as if theres a dead battery, but car is operating fine. As I drive down the street, the power cycling happens again and car almost shuts off twice. I get to pops, leave car on, as I pull away preforming a 3 point turn, the car shuts off on the 2nd point. Car starts up right away with no hesitance (as it always has this whole time). I started thinking it was an alternator problem, but then remembered, if it were and the car shut off, the battery would be dead too and I wouldnt be able to start it.

Anyways, this does all seem to be some type of connection problem right? but I have no clue where to even look! I've checked all the connections as stated above. One thing I did notice in the past week, the ground terminal on the battery has increased acid build up which obviously shows a bad connection somewhere, but I have no clue where!?

Lastly, I'm thinking irrationally now, but I feel thats the only way i can think cause I'm stumped. My irrational question is, if the rear batteries have a loose ground (even though the power is no longer connected) would that cause these issues? Im assuming no.

Old 01-14-15, 11:51 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you I would get a multi meter and measure voltage from the alternator when it's acting up. I would also compare voltage from the alternator itself and the battery terminals, just to see if theres any difference.
Have you tried a amp draw test ?
Old 01-15-15, 12:39 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I completely forgot that the 300 wont run on alternator alone, when this popped in my head I said its GOT to be a connection problem and the only real place it could be is on the battery. So I went to check the battery again and it was ever so slightly loose and I mean Very little play. I was able to get a few turns of the terminal to make it tight and sure enough, it looks like its fine. I drove it around a little didnt get any power cycles. Fingers crossed cause electrical problems suck!

Thank you for those who actually took the time to read my essays, I feel like I made a noob mistake. The only thing I can think of is that during the initial problem (where I too checked for loose connections) I may have moved the wires loose just enough to make the new problem begin.
Old 02-19-15, 11:35 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Mr. Jokester,

Im hoping you can figure out my problem. I have the same problem with my cars electricals flickering and shutting off. The first time it happened was 9 months ago. The lights on my dash starting coming on and then my radio started flickering. I pulled over to see what was wrong, turned off the car and started it again, but it seemed really weak. I drove off since I was close to home and lights start flickering and car just dies on me. I had to get it towed home. Shop replaced the alternator.

Fast forward to yesterday. I saw that my battery light came on then my radio started flickering and then the VSC lights came on. Then the car just shut off as I was driving. Wouldnt start again. Shop is saying its my system but I dont even push my system hard. I have bass all the way down and volume at 25%. Its a JL W6 with JL 500/1 amp. They replaced the alternator again.

What can I do to keep this from happening again?
Old 02-19-15, 05:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

As I posted, I tightened the terminals and that fixed the problem. Check and clean all your connections.Also check the ground on your amp in case its aching. Also, could be your battery slowly dying. Maybe take it in to get checked, a cell could be blown.
Old 02-19-15, 05:35 PM
takashi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
As I posted, I tightened the terminals and that fixed the problem. Check and clean all your connections.Also check the ground on your amp in case its aching. Also, could be your battery slowly dying. Maybe take it in to get checked, a cell could be blown.
Yeah the terminal on our cars is really sensitive I think lol

As I was once turning my car on, and as the steering wheel lowered it suddenly shut off, and all the lighting and everything was off, and I had no power what so ever

But what do you know, it was the terminals, and like you say, it only had very minimal play, if any
Old 02-20-15, 07:05 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by takashi
Yeah the terminal on our cars is really sensitive I think lol

As I was once turning my car on, and as the steering wheel lowered it suddenly shut off, and all the lighting and everything was off, and I had no power what so ever

But what do you know, it was the terminals, and like you say, it only had very minimal play, if any
Glad you found the problem