GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket deck, OEM amp bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 07:50 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftermarket deck, OEM amp bypass

I'm trying to get a double din touchscreen deck installed my '99 GS300, car toys is charging me over $1200 cause they have to bypass the stock amp? Is there any way to not break the bank for this?
Old 01-08-15, 08:08 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are getting ripped off. There is a DIY here on club lexus. Or go some other installer. Total rippoff
Old 01-09-15, 02:48 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, complete ripoff.

I was a car audio installer for many years and I've seen shop try this crap lots.

If you are running your speakers off the new deck's amp then you need to run new wires to the factory amp, if you have the normal pioneer factory deck, the amp is behind the glove box, probably an extra hour MAX to hook it up.

If your car has a factory NAK system that means 4 speaker wires to the trunk - still 1-2 hours time MAX,
Old 01-09-15, 08:27 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the sound quality when bypassing the stock factory amp with an aftermarket HU? I was all set to replace my head unit before I learned that it isn't compatible with the stock amp. Do you still have use of the subwoofer when bypassing it?

When I was looking to replace mine, I was told that I would have to purchase a new amp as well to wire it into to get the full sound of my current stereo. Is this true, or would a replacement head unit with an amp built in have all the functionality I need to get full use of the stock speakers and sub?

I'm not an expert in car stereos, so I've had trouble finding a good answer on this.
Old 01-09-15, 04:03 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mulasien
How is the sound quality when bypassing the stock factory amp with an aftermarket HU? I was all set to replace my head unit before I learned that it isn't compatible with the stock amp. Do you still have use of the subwoofer when bypassing it?

When I was looking to replace mine, I was told that I would have to purchase a new amp as well to wire it into to get the full sound of my current stereo. Is this true, or would a replacement head unit with an amp built in have all the functionality I need to get full use of the stock speakers and sub?

I'm not an expert in car stereos, so I've had trouble finding a good answer on this.
If you are not interested in replacing the speakers, you could get the same sound or better from a new deck running the stock speakers. In actual fact, I have found that a new deck with factory speakers sounds better than aftermarket speakers with the stock deck/amp.

However, you will not be able to run the sub very well - while I have heard of some people running the sub hooked up to one channel of the rear this is not recommended.

If you wish to run the stock sub, you may wish to get a very small aftermarket amp - less than 50-60W

Of course, if you are looking for the best possible sound then a full system is you're best bet, it would look something like this:

- New deck ( either single or double din, you'll need a dash kit to make it fit, the best one for DD is the oem JDM one)

- New door speakers (you can get the adapter plates from here: http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com) - get the 6.5 if you want more sound

- 5 channel amp (or a 2 ch and a sub amp) would say a smallish, good quality 5 channel is sufficient

If you are not after monster bass, you can power the stock sub with a small amp without needing to replace the stock sub, but any more than a moderate power level will blow it.

If you shop around and buy the right stuff, you could get all the above for about what these guys are trying to charge you for a deck install.

Probably 5-6 hours to install a deck, amp and 4 door speakers.
Old 01-09-15, 10:08 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I'm running an aftermarket head unit into my stock amp and it sounds great . Cost me 130 for the head unit and I installed it my self.
Old 01-09-15, 11:41 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam12345
You are getting ripped off. There is a DIY here on club lexus. Or go some other installer. Total rippoff
x2.

check out the DIY, I did it in a few hours and worked great. I would recommend using a different wire diagram tho, but that's just my personal preference.
Old 01-10-15, 09:28 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by angus
If you are not interested in replacing the speakers, you could get the same sound or better from a new deck running the stock speakers. In actual fact, I have found that a new deck with factory speakers sounds better than aftermarket speakers with the stock deck/amp.

However, you will not be able to run the sub very well - while I have heard of some people running the sub hooked up to one channel of the rear this is not recommended.

If you wish to run the stock sub, you may wish to get a very small aftermarket amp - less than 50-60W

Of course, if you are looking for the best possible sound then a full system is you're best bet, it would look something like this:

- New deck ( either single or double din, you'll need a dash kit to make it fit, the best one for DD is the oem JDM one)

- New door speakers (you can get the adapter plates from here: http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com) - get the 6.5 if you want more sound

- 5 channel amp (or a 2 ch and a sub amp) would say a smallish, good quality 5 channel is sufficient

If you are not after monster bass, you can power the stock sub with a small amp without needing to replace the stock sub, but any more than a moderate power level will blow it.

If you shop around and buy the right stuff, you could get all the above for about what these guys are trying to charge you for a deck install.

Probably 5-6 hours to install a deck, amp and 4 door speakers.
Thanks for the detailed response.

For my needs, the stock speakers/sub is 'good enough' for me. I just want a refreshed head unit with technology from this decade.

Keeping the sub functionality is a must for me, so a bypass might not work. In that case, I'll have to price out a head unit/cheap amp combo. I'm not skilled enough to do the install myself (nor do I have the desire/time to figure it out myself) so I'll have to have a trusted stereo shop do it for me.
Old 01-10-15, 10:14 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Do not bypass. Use your stock amp and the sub will work food all u need is the head unit and connector adapter and trim plate
Old 01-11-15, 11:02 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Do not bypass. Use your stock amp and the sub will work food all u need is the head unit and connector adapter and trim plate
Where can one find this connector adapter and trim plate? I have not been successful in finding one.
Old 01-11-15, 05:51 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Where can one find this connector adapter and trim plate? I have not been successful in finding one.

They are standard toyota harness adapters. Any stereo installer store should have them. I paid 10 dollars for a set. Since I had a nav I had to buy two sets (a male and female set) because I had to leave my original head unit connected. I put it in the glove compartment where the cd player was. You will not need to do that. But you do need the wiring diagram on the DIY you run your new head unit speaker wires to the original speaker wires that go to amp. And you get your power acc and continous power from the connector that goes to original head unit. You run the amplified wires out of your head unit to the stock amp not the rca ones

98 05 Lexus GS300 GS400 GS430 Double DIN Car Radio Install Dash Trim Kit Wire | eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/141422678046?_mwBanner=1
http://www.parts-express.com/metra-7...m_campaign=pla

Last edited by sam12345; 01-11-15 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4rcedfed (04-18-20)
Old 01-12-15, 01:01 PM
mulasien
Rookie

They are standard toyota harness adapters. Any stereo installer store should have them. I paid 10 dollars for a set. Since I had a nav I had to buy two sets (a male and female set) because I had to leave my original head unit connected. I put it in the glove compartment where the cd player was. You will not need to do that. But you do need the wiring diagram on the DIY you run your new head unit speaker wires to the original speaker wires that go to amp. And you get your power acc and continous power from the connector that goes to original head unit. You run the amplified wires out of your head unit to the stock amp not the rca ones

98 05 Lexus GS300 GS400 GS430 Double DIN Car Radio Install Dash Trim Kit Wire | eBay 98 05 Lexus GS300 GS400 GS430 Double DIN Car Radio Install Dash Trim Kit Wire | eBay

http://www.parts-express.com/metra-7...m_campaign=pla
Thank you for this!

If this wires up to the stock amp, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-15, 01:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm interested to know what they're doing for $1200. I would assume they're doing everything to get everything to function 100% including the sub to work properly.

Anyway you can get a hold of the estimate to see exactly what they're doing?
Old 01-12-15, 07:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Wink

Thank you for this!

If this wires up to the stock amp, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
Yes but you must use the schematic on the DIY sticky to tap into the correct wires. The sub will work good because the stock amp is set up for two channels. My head unit is 54w divided by 4 per channel. Obviously I can't crank full volume or I would overdrive the amp but it's about right no ignition noise make sure you solder all connections for best connection and run the ground of your new head unit to same ground as amp (one of the screws that holds amp to frame) to prevent a ground loop

Also for the trim piece you can go to an auto parts store and they sell a paint that is called toyota interior trim paint or something along those lines that you can paint the trim piece and match the color exactly because the trim piece will be black and not match exactly

This is the one that matches my trim exactly

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/shw-...FaZDMgodGBcAsw

Last edited by sam12345; 01-12-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 11:51 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Also for the trim piece you can go to an auto parts store and they sell a paint that is called toyota interior trim paint or something along those lines that you can paint the trim piece and match the color exactly because the trim piece will be black and not match exactly

This is the one that matches my trim exactly

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/shw-...FaZDMgodGBcAsw
Or you could spend a few extra bucks and order the double din install kit that is a factory Toyota part and matches the trim 100% perfectly.

www.l-tunedparts.com is the place to get it from. $70 shipped to my door.

Last edited by mveale; 01-14-15 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket deck, OEM amp bypass