GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine won't fire after crankshaft seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 03:18 PM
kyLance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine won't fire after crankshaft seal replacement

Hi - I can't find the answer to this in another thread, but feel free to redirect me if I'm missing it.

My car is a 1998 GS400, so a V8 - original engine.

I had a leaky crankshaft seal - it looked like the car bled out on my garage floor while I was searching for it. I replaced it, which required me to partially remove the timing belt.

So I read a lot about timing belts, as that's a new step for me. I got everything lined up and all the timing marks line up while the crankshaft is at TDC. I did have to unhook 3 electrical connections to get the left cam cover off, but it seemed like they all went back on easily. I have come to despise my tensioner, but it is back on properly as well.

I reattached the battery and attempted to start the car. The crankshaft turns, moving the timing belt and the accessory belt. It spins at the expected speed and does not appear inhibited. But that's all the car does. There are no sounds of firing or misfiring of any sort - just the crankshaft spinning.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I checked all fuses associated with the distributor cap and rotor, and they seem to be fine. I see no electrical connections that were damaged or changed. But it won't fire up. Can you think of a step that I could have left out that would prevent the engine from firing at all?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-15, 05:03 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

There is no distributor on a 1998 GS400.

Make sure your MAF sensor is plugged in and triple check your timing marks.
Old 01-04-15, 09:13 AM
kyLance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply FrankT. As for the distributor cap - I went back to the book now instead of using my memory. What I should have said was that I checked all fuses related to "Multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system" and all were fine.

Yes, MAF sensor is plugged back in and if I turn the crankshaft 2 rotations back to TDC, the timing marks on the cams line up as they should.

I'm going to see how to test that I have a charge reaching the ignition coils and will go from there. But if you or anyone has a better direction to point me, I'm all ears!
Old 01-04-15, 09:42 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm glad your marks line up, sounds like you are following the FSM.

Make sure that when the key is in the "ON" position that all the dash lights come on, especially the CE light.
That will indicate power or no power to the ECU.

Good luck...