GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radio Going bad or Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 04:51 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Radio Going bad or Amp?

Good Evening Club Lexus members, I've got a problem with my 1998 lexus gs300 nakamichi sound system.. The Head unit for the last month has been fading in and out (by that i mean it would randomly shut off and then start back up again) along with the speakers shutting off and then back up at the same time. Sometimes after an hour or more of driving the speakers would begin to pop and there would be a static noise in the background. Could someone tell me why this is? I think my battery is going bad could that be why? Also an important note i think the problem with the head unit shutting down is related to the volume at which the radio is being played, the consistency of how often the radio shuts down is much higher when listening to music for a few mins.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Here are two pictures of my head unit sorry for the night shots but i just took them. I think the Screen is also going bad, its been like that for the last year.

Old 12-29-14, 05:08 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new head unit.

looks like new head unit is required. cheaper to go after market.
Old 12-29-14, 05:12 PM
Foob
Driver

Thanks for the reply, but ive heard replacing the headunit to a aftermarket system is a pain in the butt to do? Lots of rewiring?
Old 12-29-14, 05:20 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

not really since you dont have the mark levinson system. best buy has deals where if the head unit is 100 or more the install is free. plus they make after market pig tails that plug and play.
Old 12-29-14, 05:20 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

the hardest part is not breaking apart any of the dash trim pieces when removing.
Old 12-29-14, 05:32 PM
Foob
Driver

Oh okay perfect so all this is related to the head unit itself? Nothing to the amp?
Old 12-29-14, 08:17 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Foob
Oh okay perfect so all this is related to the head unit itself? Nothing to the amp?
if your audio is not malfunctioning, i dont see why it would be the amp,
Old 12-30-14, 10:41 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

not the amp. unless u have the mark levinson system. but the complaint on those is that the head unit works fine but no sound out the speakers.
Old 12-30-14, 03:45 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx430
if your audio is not malfunctioning, i dont see why it would be the amp,
His audio is malfunctioning.
Old 01-03-15, 08:43 AM
Foob
Driver

Yes, my audio is malfunctioning. There's cracks and pops at random. If I should replace my amp is install easy on nakamichi?
Old 01-05-15, 12:39 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

My cd-changer stopped working and the radio does not work when i put the car into reverse ... been waiting to redo my entire sound system but no time ....
Old 01-13-15, 10:42 PM
Foob
Driver

Well, I'm getting a new alternator, new starter, and maybe a new battery. Due to some other problems, if the problem consists (which it probably will ) gonna get a new headunit (radio) would prefer as little touch screen as possible and bluetooth and the ability to match the colors to the other lights in the car would be a huge plus. Would be greatly appreciated if some one could reccomend a headunit for me.
Old 01-14-15, 04:27 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Still, even if your stock and deck needs replacing, there enough stock units available here and on ebay for cheap - quick easy swap if you do not want to upgrade for other reasons (sound quality. newer tech etc.)

There are lots of good used units for $50 or so.
Old 01-14-15, 12:36 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kornpeef
the hardest part is not breaking apart any of the dash trim pieces when removing.
Really? What are you using to work on it? A claw hammer and a big rock?
Old 01-18-15, 03:48 PM
Foob
Driver

Okay replaced the battery, car stars good now. Nothing wrong with ac or anything like that anymore. Have been looking around on amazon for a aftermarket radio, the Kenwood DDX-371 2-Din Multimedia DVD Receiver has caught my eye. I want to go ahead and replace the amp too, but I want to know the specs on the nakamichi amp that came with my car so that I could find the right aftermarket amp. Anyone mind helping me out? I need to know the number of channels, aND the wattage I should get.

Quick Reply: Radio Going bad or Amp?