GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Abused GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 09:48 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesn't look too bad
Old 12-19-14, 10:28 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me sad cruelty
Old 12-22-14, 11:20 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sad gs

The really sad part is... that is the "good" side. The other side has dents and what not, iirc. It's a middle aged woman that drives it but I haven't seen her around lately. I'm thinking maybe her son or boyfriend did this to it? Maybe one day I'll get a chance to take a pic of the "other side."
Old 12-26-14, 11:32 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Default sad gs

Saw this on Craigslist the other day...
Attached Thumbnails Abused GS-00b0b_1t21tj6fflb_600x450.jpg   Abused GS-00606_2f5pdu04vwv_600x450.jpg   Abused GS-01313_farugx9zxee_600x450.jpg  
Old 12-26-14, 12:03 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^idunno if thats the one i see all the time. maybe i can snag a pic. terrible. lol
Old 12-27-14, 06:21 AM
Nimbusdp
Driver School Candidate

Default My GS looks abused...

Hey,

My 2GS looks abused. It's about to hit 300k and the body seriously needs work, just minor scratches on the corners, lower portion of body paneling all coming off, sunroof has been stuck tilted open for 2 years... That being said, I work in a field that I love, helping other people through a problem I struggled with for a long time, and I am also a full time student. I make $125 per week before taxes, and almost all of my money goes toward living expenses. I'm lucky enough to not pay rent because I live for free on property because of the nature of my work, but life is expensive, and I don't ever have any excess funds for external work. I go around twice a week to places I know of that recycle aluminum cans and I save them all up and scrap them every 3 months or so. That money always goes towards the next fix my engine needs, which at 300k is basically everything. After rebuild of PS Pump and 3x tranny drain and flush, I just discovered a leak of radiator coolant where the hoses meet the engine under the throttle body. If I can't figure out a cheap fix for that it will probably be the nail in the coffin for my 2GS.

I say all of this because I read this thread and it made me kind of sad. I have been a long time reader of CL and recently have joined the forums and want to get active, and one of the first threads I read as a member on the 2GS forums is about a car that people want to rip pieces off of and burn. If you find it can you just send me the body kit instead of burning it? I would love to get new lower panels for Lacy because now they're all scratched and some hang down like half an inch because of cracked clips. I refuse to put duct tape on my Lexus, she is a performance car that has served my family faithfully for 15 years, but just because their isn't duct tape on her doesn't mean she looks like she is in good shape.

Just because she looks abused doesn't mean she is abused. I love that car more than people understand. I've been through countless adventures, drove her on my prom night, relied on her to quickly get me out of seriously dangerous situations, and have always taken the best of care for her. Sometimes in life though money becomes a little scarce and I've had to pick and choose my battles. For me I'd rather have her running smooth, quiet, and strong, then have a beautiful 2 ton piece of art sitting in my yard that doesn't move.

Sincerely,
~~Nimbus dp

P.S. If I were to save up enough to do the body work I would never get that particular body kit... The lines and style of the 2GS are classy... I'd pick a body kit that is a little less... harsh on the eye...
Old 12-27-14, 07:18 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Default abused gs

I think you've missed the point a bit my friend. There's plenty of Lexus running around that have exterior problems but run great because these engines were designed so well. No one is putting those cars down.

What, imo, most people do have a problem with are cars that looked good when they were purchased and then abused or neglected. That is truly sad. Or, for instance, cars that were given horrible paint jobs and tacky mods. To each their own, of course, but there are some things that most of us agree on that look awful.

Don't be discouraged. Maintain the engine properly and slowly work on the exterior issues and you'll have it looking good eventually. The people on this forum, especially the 2GS section, are all very helpful. You should look into your local section for other members in your area that might be able to help you locate parts. Good luck!

Last edited by mccrimmon; 12-27-14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 04:57 AM
Nimbusdp
Driver School Candidate

Default That makes sense

Hey,

I guess I understand. Would I ever put that body kit on my GS? No. Does my car look abused and beat up tho? Yes. But I appreciate the encouragement and I've been looking around more on the forums and there are definitely some people willing to trade / sell parts quite cheap. I almost had a replacement for my head unit because the LCD screen doesnt work anymore but somebody had already grabbed it up out of the free section. I'll keep looking around though, thanks!

~~Nimbus
Old 12-29-14, 07:18 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you should fix that tilt and that leak. both are relatively easy fixes. gonna need time.