GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering/tilt re-grease, v2.0 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 07:30 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/tilt re-grease, v2.0 ?

Just checking if there's any gurus out there, that have had the pleasure of dissecting this situation further than what I'm presently finding info on..

Actually, I'm going to ask in images I already posted in other, older related threads....which I did to politely not create more fractalized posts on same thing. But not many people are reading old posts.

I'm trying to re-grease my tilt/telescoping mechanism. Seems an extremely common problem to 2nd gen GS owners...the tilt motor getting frozen. Have read where dealerships will do this for a fee, but none in my area have experience with. Hope what I'm trying to figure makes sense from these images.

Could I gain something by undoing any of the areas shown in the diagrams (clean and replace more old grease)...or would it be like dumping the springs out of a Rolex with a tire iron. I can't afford to screw my steering column today, or spend $1-200 on a used one just to practice. If nothing can be added then "that's that" for me. I'll share my accumulated knowledge I've painstakingly gathered till now, to repay what I can. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Steering/tilt re-grease, v2.0 ?-myownpics-cleaning-titlt-gear-3.jpg   Steering/tilt re-grease, v2.0 ?-myownpics-cleaning-titlt-gear-2.jpg  

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-02-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 08:02 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

OK, now that I look at my "picture questions" it looks like I'm giving-up on doing these items by my comments....I won't(!) if I know there will be a benefit from - lol.

I've been like a bulldog till now, and don't want to walk away without a victory.

Just unsure if I'd be wasting time or taking unnecessary risk, and I've already invested a ton of man-hours, blood and sweat to here, trying to make best-educated guesses.
With a whole lot of other stuff on my plate in life.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not in a position to learn by myself the "hard way" here - lol.
Any constructive help welcome. Thank you

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-02-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 10:27 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyho
OK, now that I look at my "picture questions" it looks like I'm giving-up on doing these items by my comments....I won't(!) if I know there will be a benefit from - lol.

I've been like a bulldog till now, and don't want to walk away without a victory.

Just unsure if I'd be wasting time or taking unnecessary risk, and I've already invested a ton of man-hours, blood and sweat to here, trying to make best-educated guesses.
With a whole lot of other stuff on my plate in life.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not in a position to learn by myself the "hard way" here - lol.
Any constructive help welcome. Thank you
I have not ventured that far into disassembling the column. I have cleaned the motor many times and guess what… it’s stuck again. I am also wondering if removing that black shell will expose the gears for new fresh lubricant.
Old 12-03-14, 10:48 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

I have re-greased both of my motors before and like you, it's the tilt motor giving me issues again. Which motor was the one for the tilt again? The taller skinnier one or the shorter wider one?
Old 12-03-14, 06:19 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Thanks guys, appreciate you. Seems like putting our collective heads and experiences together is our best hope...which pays forward to future owners as well. The potential is there anyway!

Behemoth7, I guess ti would be the "shorter fatter" one....its the one with the white plastic collar, and is closest to the steering wheel itself. There's some useful pics posted within this thread (only 4-5 pages)... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pic-wheel.html

WBMX1981, you are one of the inspirations that got me to where I am (from that thread I think). But the consensus could almost seem this is temporary on hearing feedback from you, Johnno92, and Behemoth7 now. Thank you so much for the communication on this.

I have two thoughts on this at the moment...just "possibilities to consider" as of this evening.

We don't know if it was the choice of grease used...I learned that Lexus has its own $60-70/tube grease it recommends. Then learned from a local Sewell parts- department that you can also substitute NAPA Auto Parts "Sta-lube part# SL3174" (a CV Joint grease) for $5/tube. Later I corroborated that part# in a post on here from 2002. We don't know if all of you used standard lithium grease, for example, and it continually breaks down?? Only a consideration.

The other thing.... I have seen a couple places where someone replaced the "brushes" inside the electric motor. Some say the deterioration of which is what we clean out inside the housing, that black build up that supposedly disrupts electrical conductivity? One suggested this makes it the "same as a new motor"(?). I made a few calls today, and found what may be may my best local hope of generic replacement brushes...although its still a longshot - I have to show them the motor.

A couple last thoughts....I saw where people said their "dealership" did a relube and "adjusted pins" - I have found no dealers that do this and wonder about this "pins" reference. And of course the areas of the ($2000 to replace) column I was pointing out here...is there something substantial we haven't looked at accessing. Oh, and I've seen references of someone buying a brand new tilt motor and installing it for $300 or so....that sounds great, but I can find nowhere to get one??!!

Sorry to be so wordy! I figure if this were easily solved that would be one thing, but hoping if someone sees where we've been they can add something to move us all forward. This is a common headache for many. And a lot of the "gray areas' that still exist might have been better distinguished if someone had been a little more "wordy" if that makes sense?

Many thanks!

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-04-14 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-03-14, 06:32 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

One other quick thing - sorry. I was confused and still see present GS owners confused by the abundant info for fixing tilt-steering motors on 2nd gen LS400/430 and SC models. Totally different mechanisms....the abundant info on repositioning or replacing the plastic gear in those motors does not apply to the 2nd gen GS (300/400/430). We're still in the throws of a solution for ours. Albeit 15yrs later.

Come on GS-ers, lets do this!!! We're worth winning this for ourselves as well. :-)

I had a whole lot of other choices where to invest my insurance settlement to replace my daily driver ('93 Mereceds diesel), other than a 15yr old Japanese car with over 100k miles. I may still have to convince people this is a good choice based on those numbers....and having this forum was one of the things that convinced me. I'm not afraid of a little hands on maintenance, and the potential of this kind of info and a good car goes a long way.

I don't want to think I should have bought a 5yr old Hyundai, instead....really? We love these cars, they can be dependable as heck and one of the best values out there.

"It isn't over till we decide it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Come on, who's with me!"
------"Animal House", Universal Pictures 1978

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-04-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 06:01 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

OK so, sorry to be a "monologue" at the moment....but I visited an electric motor parts place today. They didn't stock any brushes this small, but he pointed me to a source for some.

It will involve sautering the new wire-lead onto the old connector. He gauged the brush size as .17 x .17 x .50

He said the brush is way worn down and re-greasing likely won't do much, or for long (in his opinion). He felt that new brushes would likely last as long as has to this point (years)...unless something is wrong with the "armature" (post and windings), ini which case it could be rewound for about $100. Oh, and if anyone ever wonders about "gashes" in the surface of their windings...he said the mnfctr does that to "balance" them for spinning.

Trying to figure how fast I can get hold of brushes and try this....I really want to put my dash back together, so I can start on the other side and do the HVAC vent solenoids. I'm afraid to have too many fasteners and things take apart to keep track of at the same time.

Let you know what happens next!

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-04-14 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 08:35 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

OK so, sorry to be a "monologue" at the moment....but I visited an electric motor parts place today. They didn't stock any brushes this small, but he pointed me to a source for some.

It will involve sautering the new wire-lead onto the old connector. He gauged the brush size as .17 x .17 x .50

He said the brush is way worn down and re-greasing likely won't do much, or for long (in his opinion). He felt that new brushes would likely last as long as has to this point (years)...unless something is wrong with the "armature" (post and windings), ini which case it could be rewound for about $100. Oh, and if anyone ever wonders about "gashes" in the surface of their windings...he said the mnfctr does that to "balance" them for spinning.

Trying to figure how fast I can get hold of brushes and try this....I really want to put my dash back together, so I can start on the other side and do the HVAC vent solenoids. I'm afraid to have too many fasteners and things take apart to keep track of at the same time.

Let you know what happens next!
Keep us posted! I'm tear into the column once I know where to go.
Old 12-06-14, 04:02 AM
johnnyho
Rookie

Will do my brother. Appreciate the encouragement - lol, and glad to help. I will "hook you up" as long as this works. :-)

Like I said I'm not the first to try this. Found one mention from 2002 and another from 2012, but I won't bother to quote 'cause they only mention a sentence or so. But I'm sure glad they did that much! Can't know how its turned out a year later or anything, sorry, but seems worth the try to me.

To anyone familiar with electric motors they'd likely laugh 'cause its pretty basic stuff. This probably sounds like a left-handed girl discussing learning to throw a baseball (with all due respect to both)..

I ordered four of the brushes (about $6 each) that should get to me right after this weekend. And am brushing up (no pun intended) on my soldering knowledge meanwhile Lots of beginner explanations on Youtube e.g. - it is pretty basic stuff.

Or I even considered hitting up a TV repair guy I know to do the solder...lots of them out there with mucho sautering experience (in their sleep) and less to do now that we're transitioning to disposable flat-screens.

That being said...there's definitely something to be said for the idea of contaminated grease disrupting things as well - I;m not trying to say I'm smarter than anyone else or that can't work. However these experiences with 15yrs old parts (+/- 4yrs) mingt be indicating this as a more practical solution in this situation...or more so now than a few years back. For a part that can be in use multiple times daily...and there's nothing wrong with us enjoying some "bells and whistles" IMHO. Actually it's more than a "luxury" when the wheel sticks unexpectedly in awkward positions (if not turned off).

I will definitely post images and info on this, shortly...just waiting on the part.and progress asap.

Meanwhile I'm going to start on replacing some heat/AC servos today (mode and passenger), while weather stays warmer next 24hrs. Should be fun. Great info on that here...another common headache glad to be able to address because of others work here.

Hope you will have an enjoyable Saturday, and thank you again
Old 12-19-14, 10:01 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Hey guys, there's some newer info been posted at this thread that may be helpful....page #5 of this thread. This link may take you directly to, I think. Particularly the "extending the notch" for the brush wire lead, idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...c-wheel-5.html

Unfortunately my enthusiasm is curbed a bit at moment, due to frustrating situation I am looking for help with here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...i-screwed.html

Sorry I got into a mess at moment. I will finish these brushes in this or next weekend meanwhile, either way. Post results, pics and details either way.

Wish you a Happy Holiday, just in the meantime

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-24-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 12:12 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

both of those links are your "how bad am i screwed" thread
Old 12-22-14, 04:38 AM
13loody
Pole Position

I guess I got lucky with mine. When it started to make a buzzing sound and hesitating around 250k+ miles, I searched the forums and read it just needed re-greasing. Being too lazy to take it apart, I just cleaned it as well as I could by wiping off the old nasty grease by combining the tilt and telescoping over and over. Then I added shin-etsu grease and tilted and telescoped the wheel multiple times as well to get the new grease in. The noise and hesitation went away and I haven't had a problem since (6 months now).

If the problem comes back I'll probably take the time and energy to take things apart and use this as a guide. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-24-14, 12:04 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Sorry Marshun!!

I corrected that link .... if it lands you at the beginning of the thread, go to the last page of it (if short on time)

Old 12-24-14, 12:40 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnnyho, I'm most probably totally off the point here, but I'm clutching at any straw and it is after seeing your courage to take a good hard look at the upper steering column, that I decided to take the liberty to ask (have posted my problem, but nobody could help me). OK here it is: My RX350 has a rattle (metallic) in that part of the column on certain road surfaces (nothing to do with bad surfaces). For the life of me can I find the source and it has nothing to do with the universals. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-14, 10:34 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry Marshun!!

I corrected that link .... if it lands you at the beginning of the thread, go to the last page of it (if short on time)

ah. definitely saving that link.

Quick Reply: Steering/tilt re-grease, v2.0 ?