GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering/tilt re-grease, v2.0 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 06:37 AM
Nimbusdp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in to attempt total rebuild!

Hey,

I'm on vacation for the holidays with my family. When I get back to SoFlo I'll tackle this task with all of you. I can't afford anything at the moment, so this is one of those projects where we will NEED to come up with an answer or I won't be able to drive until we do. It's all good though school doesn't start until Jan. 6th and I have a lot of friends that owe me rides, as well as the fact that anywhere I really need to go is less than 3 miles from my house and I have a bicycle.

So, when I get home, I will look up a DIY for the 2nd Gen GS steering column telescoping and tilt motors. Then I will rip her apart and post pictures galore as I go. If you would like to send me some links that were more helpful and informative than others so we can all be on the same page as I attempt this that would be nice. Elsewise it'll be a read all the DIY threads then go from there kind of thing!!

(Sidenote: My skills are more geared towards electronics, specifically computer systems and programming, but I have a strong mechanical background and I grew up racing electric motor hobby cars so this shouldn't be too crazy... I've got a few tricks up my sleeve from those days.)

Sincerely,
Nimbus dp
Old 01-06-15, 12:35 AM
johnnyho
Rookie

Nipponbird, totally sorry for missing your post on here.

Holidays, job, and I'm trying to work on several things on this car at once....not completed on one yet - but still plugging.

Do see that link Marshun commented about for a diagram or like (if don't have one)...keeping in mind its for GS300/400/430

But brother, myself I can't think of anything this moment. While I will absolutely keep you in mind.
I have an underdash rattle that annoys the crap out of me, center dash, I don't know if replacing the A/C servos (passenger side) will solve till I finish that. I do feel your pain.

Come to think of it....that COULD be something to consider as cause for your issue?! There is a servo-mechanism (unit) for the A/C-heat ventilation, driver side (there are 5 total), that is under the dash along the center console (within inches of steering column). Noises from these units is described from a "sloshing", to a rattle, to "mice running around".

Caveat - I don't know if your issue may be RX350-specific or not...I'm lucky to be getting to know this GS - lol. That is the basis of my knowledge at moment, and there are certainly differences between models.

I can't do it at moment...its late and finishing this response to go to sleep. But try a search under your model like "dirver ventilation servo noise"...or similar? Anything I can point you to right now would be for a "GS", but I think it could be worth taking a look into.

Also I considered saying, you may have a mental block to the idea (if you're like me), but maybe trying a Lexus-experienced garage or dealership is worth the peace of mind? I may end up needing to take my own advice fon my rattle if the above doesn't rectify it.

Wish I knew more to say right now...also that you'd keep me up to date,.I am interested.

Wish you a good 2015 meanwhile, and it will be a good year! :-)

Last edited by johnnyho; 01-06-15 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 01:08 AM
johnnyho
Rookie

OK, cool NimbusDP!

See the last pages of the link Marshun was asking about or bookmarking....its a thread that been going on for awhile, but still being added to (is why skip to last pages if short on time).

That is more up to date, and I will update where I'm at now shortly...between here and there. Sorry about the "fork". Its hard to know who is still looking at those older threads (far as those wiser who have "been there done that" in the past and "moved on") is why started a brand new one. We'll keep things cross referenced for future seekers. :-)

Last edited by johnnyho; 01-06-15 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 09:16 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Sorry I haven't posted more on this in a bit.

I since sautered in the new brushes, sized and shaped to the originals, but the motor still doing the same thing. Worked some at first then stopped.

Don't know if:
*put too much new grease and is too much resistance
*Windings on the motor have a bad spot
*it was (or became) the ECU unit...I'm thinking is the big plastic piece right below the servo
*Something went wrong in my sautering

...you see where I'm going...still a lot of variables to consider.

I don't know if I can remove the motor again with the lead attached, and test if it is running without resistance of being in the in-column grease?

Or if should try disconnecting the battery and see if the ECU resets - did it cut off after a certain amount of resistance?

I didn't use light lithium grease like many, but the dealer recommended moly-d axle-grease consistency type.

I may take it to a business specializing in DC motors and see if they can test anything about the motor's windings or operations.

Anyway, still frustrated...sorry :-)
Old 11-01-15, 08:18 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

I regreased the plastic gears and also took apart the motor. I cleaned off the carbon build-up then reinstalled it all. The motor will only work enough to bring the wheel up or down one time then starts to slow then stop. If i wait a lil while its good again for another trip up or down then slows and stops again. Also, it's super loud!