GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Silly Me - hidden heated seats???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 08:49 AM
vsop4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Silly Me - hidden heated seats???

This might be a silly question but only been an owner of a '98 GS300 for just about a year. This morning here in Denver, temp was in the teens and I started the car, turned on both front and rear defroster an about 30 secs later, felt my butt getting warm. I have two other cars that have heated seats and so I know what it feels like, especially when it gets really cold. Now the car doesn't have the heat seat buttons on the console so the only explanation I can think of that it's somehow tied to the defroster and/or temp sensors. Am I going crazy?

Also, I looked a few other posts about hidden features but didn't find anything that specifically stated this as a hidden feature (but it all honesty, i used the search function as I didn't read every post on that really long thread).
Old 11-17-14, 09:57 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Could you have maybe passed gas? Never heard of that happening though, wouldnt make sense. I know I've felt my seats warm up a bit after sitting a while in the cold, but just figured the seats were so cold that my butt heat just eventually got it warm since they couldnt get any colder.
Old 11-17-14, 10:09 AM
vsop4me
Driver School Candidate

My wife complains about my gas issues but this is definitely not it As mentioned, I have two other cards that have heated seats and having lived in Denver for 14 years, I'm familiar with sitting on seats that have and not have heaters on cold days. That's not to say I may have been imagining it but it's definitely not normal. I also posted because this was probably the first that I have parked outside with cold temps like this AND turning on both defrosters on full auto.

I"m going to try and go through the same process again tomorrow morning but thought I'd check with you all to see if anyone has any similar experiences.
Old 11-17-14, 10:12 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you fart?
Old 11-17-14, 10:47 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Heated seats are a pretty common used car dealer-added thing. Could've also just been a previous owner who wanted heated seats in their car that didn't come with them. Normally they wire in a toggle switch on the side of the seat somewhere, but maybe they wanted to keep it looking factory?

I would verify by starting the car and parking it out of direct sunlight. Turn the heater off, hit the rear defrost button, and leave it running for a few minutes. If you come back to a warm seat, you've got a hidden, aftermarket seat heater.
Old 11-17-14, 11:14 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mveale
but maybe they wanted to keep it looking factory?
It's as factory looking with the seat heater buttons as it is without them.
But if they couldn't find a center console (they're all over ebay) with the heater buttons then they might have wired it on the rear/front defroster.
Old 11-18-14, 12:37 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I vote for dealer installed heater pads.

Is it only the "***" portion, or the back too?
Old 11-18-14, 12:10 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

U didn't feel anything dude, our heated seats suck even if it was on you wouldn't know
Old 11-18-14, 09:45 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
U didn't feel anything dude, our heated seats suck even if it was on you wouldn't know
I disagree, I wish I could turn mine down they get very warm after about 10-15 minutes, but on days like today where it was 20• I wasn't complaining
Old 11-18-14, 10:37 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DosyBoy
I disagree, I wish I could turn mine down they get very warm after about 10-15 minutes, but on days like today where it was 20• I wasn't complaining
+1

I wish there was more settings than ON or OFF in the switch.
Old 11-19-14, 02:05 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Ditto I have to turn mine off after about 8-10 mins, gets too warm. Definately not weak heaters
Old 11-19-14, 07:00 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine works too well...
But OP, you have warm body temp, when you turn on your heater, your body warms up as well. Also take into account the kind of pants you are wearing as well....

Someone could've installed a heat pad and wired it to the defroster but I see that as being unlikely. I think it's your body temp.
Old 11-21-14, 05:42 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Could you have maybe passed gas? Never heard of that happening though, wouldnt make sense. I know I've felt my seats warm up a bit after sitting a while in the cold, but just figured the seats were so cold that my butt heat just eventually got it warm since they couldnt get any colder.
Lmmfao..........
Old 11-22-14, 04:48 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a thread somewhere about how our seat heaters are horrible.. Well dang then mine must be broken cause I can barley feel it while driving.
Old 11-23-14, 06:37 PM
vsop4me
Driver School Candidate

Finally got around to checking it out again and it looks like someone may have installed aftermarket heated seats. I can't seem to figure out the wiring, it's going under center console and headed somewhere but that'll have to wait for another time. I really didn't about aftermarket until of you mentioned it....something is intermittent about it as I can't seem to activate it with any consistency but it's definitely heated, I can feel it. There does not appear to be a on/off button, or at least I can't seem to find it for now....not a critical feature so it'll have to wait before I check things out again.

Quick Reply: Silly Me - hidden heated seats???