GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2005 Lexus GS430....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 02:47 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
do you need/have room for a second car? or will you eventually sell the GS3?

the realistic/sensible side of me says, if you are going to spend 15k to get this GS430, and all you are craving is the v8 power, you can easily NA-T the GS3 and make more power... don't worry about the 100k miles...

if you are trading up and will sell the GS3, then get the 430 cheap enough and make a move... I'd buy that car at 12-13k honestly...
Just out of curiosity....do you have a NA-T setup on your GS3? The more I think about it, I wouldn't totally be opposed to looking into such a modification. However I'd rather leave it up to the professionals to be safe and I'm not sure if there are shops that do that kind of work in my area.
Old 11-19-14, 03:31 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a 2005 Gs430 and a 1994 Camry as my winter beater. The Gs430 will not be driven in snow and rarely drives in the rain.

My favorite car is actually the Camry She been good to me for several years and has been a winter beater for about 5 of my past "diva" cars that have come and gone. Plan on keeping her till she can't go no more.
Old 11-19-14, 04:04 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I have a 2005 Gs430 and a 1994 Camry as my winter beater. The Gs430 will not be driven in snow and rarely drives in the rain.

My favorite car is actually the Camry She been good to me for several years and has been a winter beater for about 5 of my past "diva" cars that have come and gone. Plan on keeping her till she can't go no more.
My parents still have their 93 Camry. Still ticking at well over 200k. Great car!
Old 11-20-14, 07:38 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes we all would like to spend between $12k to $13k for a low mileage 05 GS430,
But in reality that looks like to be almost impossible. Kbb also suggests over $15k.
I was just checking the Autotrader and there is not a single good 05 GS430 for sale that too with low mileage.
I think people who want these car will pay top dollar for it as they are so rare and hard to come by.
I can just imagine what a beautiful ride that would be with only 50k miles.
I think it should also have the Navigation and Mark Levinson, and GS430 also comes with the wood grain steering wheel.
One of the finest cars ever made besides the 2000 LS400.
Old 11-21-14, 08:04 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jaymk
Yes we all would like to spend between $12k to $13k for a low mileage 05 GS430,
But in reality that looks like to be almost impossible. Kbb also suggests over $15k.
I was just checking the Autotrader and there is not a single good 05 GS430 for sale that too with low mileage.
I think people who want these car will pay top dollar for it as they are so rare and hard to come by.
I can just imagine what a beautiful ride that would be with only 50k miles.
I think it should also have the Navigation and Mark Levinson, and GS430 also comes with the wood grain steering wheel.
One of the finest cars ever made besides the 2000 LS400.
Agreed. Its likely worth around $15k or so which is around what I would expect to pay.
Old 11-22-14, 08:43 AM
sxgs300
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my 2004 Gs300 with 42k original miles for $13k at my work (Honda) and that's with my employee discount. They were asking $15k so a Gs430 I'd imagine would be close in retail price. You are going to be buying from a private seller so you might get it cheaper.
Old 11-22-14, 08:54 AM
sxgs300
Driver School Candidate

Cell pic with df210
Old 11-22-14, 05:40 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sxgs300
I just picked up my 2004 Gs300 with 42k original miles for $13k at my work (Honda) and that's with my employee discount. They were asking $15k so a Gs430 I'd imagine would be close in retail price. You are going to be buying from a private seller so you might get it cheaper.
Congrats on Your new ride.
Looks beautiful,
Does it have the navigation and mark levinson?
Also can You please provide some more data on the GS430?
Like the mileage and the asking price?
Thank You.
Old 11-22-14, 06:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well egs, it's your money so if you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Just to play devil's advocate: I still think that's a steep price for a 10 year old car with 15 year old technology.

The equivalent German cars from that year have the next generation of styling, features and interiors. They just are horrible for maintenance.

But if you already have a great GS300 - I would be tempted by the turbo conversion setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-2JZGTTE-...-/350845558853

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/toyota-supra-twin-turbo-engine

You might pay have to find a specialty shop for the install but you get a unique car out of it. And I think those will hold their value more if left untampered.

By the way an 05 GS430 is valued at around 12K in Canadian dollars here so do the currency conversion and you'll see that 15K is at the top end, even in the US. That steep premium you would be paying is for the low miles... and as you'll find on this forum - mileage on these cars is not a big issue. Even your own GS is a low miler.

Last edited by MattyG; 11-22-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 10:01 AM
egs21
Pole Position

Matty,

You make some good points. I have had the internal thoughts about doing a 2JGZTE swap or a NA-T setup. The concerns with that are two fold: 1.) I am having trouble finding qualified shops in my area to do the work and 2.) I'm wondering if its worth sinking several thousands into a turbo set up when I can use that money to upgrade to a stock GS430 with a powerful engine that is unmodified and has half the miles of my current car?

The age of the vehicle compared to the money I'm spending is a great point on your part. I could buy a 3 year old Camry SE V6 with the same money. Of course that is a front wheel drive Camry and not a Lexus, but it would still be a quality car and would have comparable acceleration.

Or I could just choose to be satisfied with my current GS300 and not worry so much about having extra power.

Decisions, decisions.....

Last edited by egs21; 11-23-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 07:32 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the 05. That is a really rare car! If you pass on it, please pass on the contact info!
Old 11-24-14, 10:14 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Decisions indeed, but a nice problem to have Yeah a twin-turbo conversion is a lot of work and it looks like you don't have a reputable local shop.

If you go to the Canadian site, trader.ca (autotrader basically) you'll see a couple of GS430's that are sitting at dealer's lots in Ontario for under $10K with pretty reasonable miles. Don't know about condition of course.

I just don't see a 05 with low miles as a future collectible. You'll be an old man by the time that happens.

Agreed on the Camry and at this price point you're edging closer to the latest generation of Mazda 6 which is a sweet ride for a fwd car.
Old 11-24-14, 01:46 PM
ThisGSguy
Driver School Candidate

I love my gs400 gl
Old 11-24-14, 02:26 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
Decisions indeed, but a nice problem to have Yeah a twin-turbo conversion is a lot of work and it looks like you don't have a reputable local shop.

If you go to the Canadian site, trader.ca (autotrader basically) you'll see a couple of GS430's that are sitting at dealer's lots in Ontario for under $10K with pretty reasonable miles. Don't know about condition of course.

I just don't see a 05 with low miles as a future collectible. You'll be an old man by the time that happens.

Agreed on the Camry and at this price point you're edging closer to the latest generation of Mazda 6 which is a sweet ride for a fwd car.
I don't see the GS430 as a collectible car. I've just always wanted one since I was in college. I love my current GS300 and I see this as more of an opportunity to upgrade to a newer GS with far lower miles plus the added bonus of the v8.

The problem is I could spend another $5k or so and be within striking distance of other good cars that are more modern with tech plus are more fuel efficient. I love the Honda Accord sport with the 6 speed manual transmission. Of course it isn't a Lexus but its a good car in its own right plus it is far more efficient than the GS430.

Or I could just keep my current GS300 which is paid for :-)
Old 11-24-14, 07:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by egs21
I don't see the GS430 as a collectible car. I've just always wanted one since I was in college. I love my current GS300 and I see this as more of an opportunity to upgrade to a newer GS with far lower miles plus the added bonus of the v8.

The problem is I could spend another $5k or so and be within striking distance of other good cars that are more modern with tech plus are more fuel efficient. I love the Honda Accord sport with the 6 speed manual transmission. Of course it isn't a Lexus but its a good car in its own right plus it is far more efficient than the GS430.

Or I could just keep my current GS300 which is paid for :-)
Well let's see how long we can drag out this thread then...

You can't put a price on nostalgia and if it comes driving up a curve with a smooth roar that says $15K, that's gonna be tough to go against.

The V8 version of the car was on my bucket list and it delivers everyday in that way.

The wild impetuous side of me screams BMW 550i, while the sensible side says 2014 Mazda 6, once they get the diesel motor in there.

Can't afford none of those right now, but the GS will effortlessly continue to blow away a lot of surprised drivers who try me every day.

Quick Reply: 2005 Lexus GS430....