GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2005 Lexus GS430....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 11:58 AM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Lexus GS430....

Hey guys, I currently own a GS300 that just cracked over 100k. Love the car, but like most GS3 owners I'm craving the power of the v8. I found someone locally who is considering selling a 2005 GS430 with just 50k for miles.

Looking for some input as to what I should be paying for this car? Its hard to look at this particular car as a typical "blue book" used car as they are somewhat rare and while its a nearly 10 year old car, the miles are much lower.

Is there a certain price point where it wouldn't be worth it to buy such an old car?
Old 11-15-14, 02:22 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I love my GS400, never drove a GS300 or GS430. But I wouldn't be as happy with less power, I just like the power of the V8.

100k is still a new car to that engine, or even the 1UZ-FE/3UZ-FE V8. So if you are unhappy and have money to burn, go for it, you won't regret it. If you are content or just don't have the $ to it put into it, enjoy the GS, it is still a great platform.
Old 11-15-14, 02:35 PM
Neomoogle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by egs21
Hey guys, I currently own a GS300 that just cracked over 100k. Love the car, but like most GS3 owners I'm craving the power of the v8. I found someone locally who is considering selling a 2005 GS430 with just 50k for miles.

Looking for some input as to what I should be paying for this car? Its hard to look at this particular car as a typical "blue book" used car as they are somewhat rare and while its a nearly 10 year old car, the miles are much lower.

Is there a certain price point where it wouldn't be worth it to buy such an old car?
That's definitely a good find! I would ask him how much he wants for it before offering a price. You never know, he may ask for less than you're thinking it's worth. Also, do you have any pictures of the car? The condition will also help determine a fair price.
Old 11-15-14, 04:06 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
I love my GS400, never drove a GS300 or GS430. But I wouldn't be as happy with less power, I just like the power of the V8.

100k is still a new car to that engine, or even the 1UZ-FE/3UZ-FE V8. So if you are unhappy and have money to burn, go for it, you won't regret it. If you are content or just don't have the $ to it put into it, enjoy the GS, it is still a great platform.
Thanks. I am very happy with my current GS3. Just craving that extra power and I'd rather just get into the V8 vs. doing mods on the GS3. And if I can a GS430 with half the miles that is an added bonus. Price is going to be key.
Old 11-15-14, 04:08 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neomoogle
That's definitely a good find! I would ask him how much he wants for it before offering a price. You never know, he may ask for less than you're thinking it's worth. Also, do you have any pictures of the car? The condition will also help determine a fair price.
Good point. I'm certainly not going to mention price first. I'm afraid he is going to be asking a premium for it ($15k+) since they are hard to find in my area. That's going to be a tough call for me as I'm GS300 is paid for and still has lots of life left.
Old 11-15-14, 04:53 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should actually use the Blue Book pricing as a rough ballpark. That's the market talking. Yes, it is a rare find at just 50K and the last year of production, but it's not a collectible car.

I hope your potential seller's not at $15K because at that point you move onto a newer car with more features. Heck I'd be scoping out a 2nd Gen IS once you get into the mid-teens.

But if do want a V8, nothing wrong with an older GS400 with higher miles and lower price.
Old 11-15-14, 05:06 PM
929rider
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went from a 1999 gs300 to a 2001 gs430. I love the v8. i got the 300 to turbo but found my 430. I just put on an injen intake and it sounds great inside the car.
good luck buying it.
Old 11-15-14, 07:44 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
I think you should actually use the Blue Book pricing as a rough ballpark. That's the market talking. Yes, it is a rare find at just 50K and the last year of production, but it's not a collectible car.

I hope your potential seller's not at $15K because at that point you move onto a newer car with more features. Heck I'd be scoping out a 2nd Gen IS once you get into the mid-teens.

But if do want a V8, nothing wrong with an older GS400 with higher miles and lower price.
I actually booked it out on kbb and it looks like $15k isn't out of the ballpark which creates a problem for me because I agree with you that a newer car with more features would warrant a mid teens price. I have until the spring which is when he wants to sell so we will see what happens. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-15-14, 08:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely. That's the best way to buy a car is be patient and keep an eye on things. These cars are old school now.

But if you drive the V8 make sure you don't buy on impulse because it is a very addictive rush of power and sound .
Old 11-16-14, 03:14 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sounds like a great find on that 2005 with 50k miles.... Harder to come by with that mileage...
Old 11-16-14, 03:11 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
Absolutely. That's the best way to buy a car is be patient and keep an eye on things. These cars are old school now.

But if you drive the V8 make sure you don't buy on impulse because it is a very addictive rush of power and sound .
Haha. That is what I'm afraid of. The power is going to feel quite a bit different than my GS300. I may end up paying a little more than I want as the miles are so low and to find a comparable car at this price is going to be tough. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-14, 06:02 PM
remix704
Driver School Candidate

Default I recommend you to not buy that car,

Originally Posted by egs21

I recommend you to do not buy that car, cause they must be make the miles down, 2005 Lexus with 50k, isn't sound crazy for 10 years old car, I live in New York and I found a lot of cars that the owner make the miles lower to sell it for more money,
Just think before you about to buy that car, think twice my friend
Old 11-18-14, 06:32 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by remix704
I recommend you to do not buy that car, cause they must be make the miles down, 2005 Lexus with 50k, isn't sound crazy for 10 years old car, I live in New York and I found a lot of cars that the owner make the miles lower to sell it for more money,
Just think before you about to buy that car, think twice my friend
Thanks for the warning. While that is possible, the guy who is selling it works at my local Lexus dealership and I'm confident he will have all the necessary paperwork proving the mileage is accurate. I'm guessing this was a 2nd car for him that he did not drive in the winters (I live in the midwest) which would explain the lower miles. I do appreciate the heads up though, thanks!
Old 11-19-14, 05:51 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

do you need/have room for a second car? or will you eventually sell the GS3?

the realistic/sensible side of me says, if you are going to spend 15k to get this GS430, and all you are craving is the v8 power, you can easily NA-T the GS3 and make more power... don't worry about the 100k miles...

if you are trading up and will sell the GS3, then get the 430 cheap enough and make a move... I'd buy that car at 12-13k honestly...
Old 11-19-14, 02:46 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kamlung
do you need/have room for a second car? or will you eventually sell the GS3?

the realistic/sensible side of me says, if you are going to spend 15k to get this GS430, and all you are craving is the v8 power, you can easily NA-T the GS3 and make more power... don't worry about the 100k miles...

if you are trading up and will sell the GS3, then get the 430 cheap enough and make a move... I'd buy that car at 12-13k honestly...
I have room for a 2nd car, but my plan would be to sell/trade in the GS3. No need for two GS's in my garage at this time. I will probably look at getting a cheap winter car (older 4Runner) as a 2nd car so I can keep the GS430 out of the snow.

I'd rather not deal with the hassle of mods in doing a NA-T setup. I don't have the time to do that upgrade and I prefer my vehicles stock in terms of their engines. Plus I'd get 300hp stock with the GS430 and half the miles that are on my current GS3. Its a win-win in my opinion.

Yes, I will definitely spend in the $12-$13k range for the GS430.

Quick Reply: 2005 Lexus GS430....