Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Problem can't seem to be fixed

Old 11-05-14, 12:54 PM   #1
Marklopez
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Problem can't seem to be fixed

Alright so Let me start off from the beggining. A couple of months back I did my spark plugs and my valve cover gaskets. Everything went good and my car was driving better than normal. Suddenly the CEL and the VSC lights come on. It was throwing the code "P0031. Which is O2 sensor. Bank 1 sensor 1" I replaced it yesterday and my ECU restareted but my light came back on after I drove a few miles. I know people say that a lot of times it's not the sensor and it can be something else. What should I check? If not should I go to the dealership for a diagnostics? Emmision are coming up. Thanks in advance
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Marklopez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 12:56 PM   #2
Marklopez
Rookie

Ohh and for the record the car feels better and it's less sluggish with the new sensor
Old 11-05-14, 03:42 PM   #3
lexo98
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

Anytime you get a code I would recommend to clean your battery post and cables. Reset the ECU and see if the same codes come up again. The electrical systems are super sensitive.
lexo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 10:27 AM   #4
DMPesso
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexo98 View Post
Anytime you get a code I would recommend to clean your battery post and cables. Reset the ECU and see if the same codes come up again. The electrical systems are super sensitive.
agreed

This car can drive like crap if something as simple as the battery post isnt fully tightened or cleaned. Check for an air leak as well near that O2 sensor, leaks are usually 420/430 codes but you never know worth a try. If you didnt leave the battery unplugged for at least an hour or two then you did not recet the ECU, also use the OBD to clear the codes as well.
DMPesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 10:51 AM   #5
Marklopez
Rookie

Thanks I'll do that as soon as I get home.
Old 11-06-14, 10:34 PM   #6
Marklopez
Rookie

I cleaned the posts and disconnected it. Let it sit for like 1 hour and a half. I guess it's the diagsosis
Old 11-08-14, 09:02 PM   #7
Marklopez
Rookie

So now it's throwing p0037 which is bank 1 sensor 2. What's the reason for this?
Old 11-09-14, 11:38 AM   #8
DMPesso
Lead Lap

Well first, did you use OEM denso O2s? You MUST use OEM O2s I can't stress that enough, don't know how many people I've heard of buying those garbage universal ones or some other brand just to have to change them again when they're CEL come backs on again. You should've just changed them all at the same time to avoid this. If you have the money change all the o2s because eventually they're GONNA go bad anyway so your gonna save yourself on labor unless your doing them yourself
DMPesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 09:58 PM   #9
Marklopez
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPesso View Post
Well first, did you use OEM denso O2s? You MUST use OEM O2s I can't stress that enough, don't know how many people I've heard of buying those garbage universal ones or some other brand just to have to change them again when they're CEL come backs on again. You should've just changed them all at the same time to avoid this. If you have the money change all the o2s because eventually they're GONNA go bad anyway so your gonna save yourself on labor unless your doing them yourself
Yes I used denso. I'm just curious on why putting a new one caused the other one to go bad
Old 11-09-14, 09:58 PM