GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fuel Tank Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 12:28 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Removal?

There an alarming puddle of fuel under my GS. It's coming from the left hand side. Looking underneath, I can clearly see it dripping from the fuel tank, but a tiny bit higher than what I can see just by looking. There's less than 1/4 tank of fuel and it continues to drip, so I'm ruling out filler neck. Looking at the lower ege of the fuel tank, the seams seem to be seperating. Granted, the car has 280,000 miles. I think it's just rusted/rubbed out a small hole. I think fuel tank replacement is in order..unless anyone else has good ideas of what the leak might be?

At any rate, how is the tank removed? If anyone has a diagram or DIY it would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

~R
Old 11-04-14, 02:00 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Take the back seat out, it is under there. At least the pump access is.

Ill dig for more info as I find it.

Originally Posted by RRocket
There an alarming puddle of fuel under my GS. It's coming from the left hand side. Looking underneath, I can clearly see it dripping from the fuel tank, but a tiny bit higher than what I can see just by looking. There's less than 1/4 tank of fuel and it continues to drip, so I'm ruling out filler neck. Looking at the lower ege of the fuel tank, the seams seem to be seperating. Granted, the car has 280,000 miles. I think it's just rusted/rubbed out a small hole. I think fuel tank replacement is in order..unless anyone else has good ideas of what the leak might be?

At any rate, how is the tank removed? If anyone has a diagram or DIY it would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

~R
Old 11-04-14, 10:51 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Take the back seat out, it is under there. At least the pump access is.

Ill dig for more info as I find it.
Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the location of the fuel pump. I need to know about fuel tank removal though.

Thanks again for your help though!
Old 11-05-14, 06:24 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you were underneath, you should clearly see the 2 tank straps to remove. Should be 4 bolts
Old 11-05-14, 10:18 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I swapped mine out this summer. My tanking was leaking on and off for several years. I would keep using jb weld to stop the leak. One year I bought a used tank from the junk yard which I kept around while watching how long the jb weld would hold. Finally last year I had a shop put in the junk yard tank. Well just my luck it started leaking after a few months also. Luckily I kept my original leaky tank which I took to a shop to have reconditioned. That's the one I put in myself this summer. Been about four months now and so far so good.

Taking the tank out is mostly just nuts and bolts. If I remember correctly it's like this:
1) remove exhaust. everything from cats to back.
2) remove exhaust shields
3) remove drive shaft (don't unbolt rubber couplers from drive shaft)
3a) disconnect two parking brake cables at t-connector and move cables away from under tank.
4) disconnect fuel pump, fuel gauge sending unit, fuel lines from tank. (under the back seat)
5) disconnect filler pipe from tank at the clamped connection near top corner of tank
6) loosen tank straps at front end and lower tank slowly just enough to see hoses on top
7) disconnect fuel and vent hoses sitting across top of tank
8) disconnect lines to charcoal canister and vsv valve
9) take the tank out.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems. I can also check the service manual for other details.

Last edited by newgsman; 11-06-14 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added step 3a
The following users liked this post:
Isaiah (08-01-24)
Old 11-05-14, 10:29 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newgsman
I swapped mine out this summer. My tanking was leaking on and off for several years. I would keep using jb weld to stop the leak. One year I bought a used tank from the junk yard which I kept around while watching how long the jb weld would hold. Finally last year I had a shop put in the junk yard tank. Well just my luck it started leaking after a few months also. Luckily I kept my original leaky tank which I took to a shop to have reconditioned. That's the one I put in myself this summer. Been about four months now and so far so good.

Taking the tank out is mostly just nuts and bolts. If I remember correctly it's like this:
1) remove exhaust. everything from cats to back.
2) remove exhaust shields
3) remove drive shaft (don't unbolt rubber couplers from drive shaft)
4) disconnect fuel pump, fuel gauge sending unit, fuel lines from tank. (under the back seat)
5) disconnect filler pipe from tank at the clamped connection near top corner of tank
6) loosen tank straps at front end and lower tank slowly just enough to see hoses on top
7) disconnect fuel and vent hoses sitting across top of tank
8) disconnect lines to charcoal canister and vsv valve
9) take the tank out.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems. I can also check the service manual for other details.
Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for. How long did it take you?
Old 11-06-14, 01:45 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I spent a couple of weeks doing a bunch of things under the car but you can do just the tank in probably 3 or 4 hours maybe faster if you have a hoist and a helper. I forgot to add another step in there to remove the parking brake after you drop the drive shaft. Disconnect the two cables at the front t-connector located near the tail end of the tranny and just move the cables out of the way.