GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

01 GS430 Alternator Fuse Replacement. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 07:24 PM
BLAXCGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 GS430 Alternator Fuse Replacement. Please help!

Good Day:
How are you? I trust that you are well. I have an issue. I've searched through this site and I can't find a descriptive, accurate DIY on this subject. I need your help, please. I'm trying to replace the fusible link for the alternator in my GS430.

The problem I have is simple but two-fold. Either I cannot find the four release clips or I don't know how to operate the release clips to separate the white part of the fuse box, which the fusible link is bolted to, from it's black exterior housing. I've unbolted the fuse box from car itself. I've also removed the 200A cable from the fuse box. Yet, and still, I can not get the fuse box to part. It will not shake. It will not shimmy. It will not move a millimeter! It seems fused to the exterior housing.

Over the last three days, I've spent 12 hours trying to get this accomplished. I'm mentally and physically exhausted. However, I'm determined to do this myself! You guys are my last but best resource. I could really use your (plural) experience(s) and expertise. To that end, I'm including a few images to help the effort. Whatever I need to do please let me know. Do I need to pry the small white clips from the tall black clips? Are there more than four black release clips? Is there a bolt I've missed? Which direction do I pull to release the clips? Do I release the clips at on time or individually? In which direction does the exterior of the fuse box separate from the white section? Please, please help if you can. I would be very grateful for any grace and assistance you extend to me.

Thank you for your time and consideration. May God continue to bless you and keep you.

Vincent
Attached Thumbnails 01 GS430 Alternator Fuse Replacement. Please help!-img_2573.jpg   01 GS430 Alternator Fuse Replacement. Please help!-img_2574.jpg   01 GS430 Alternator Fuse Replacement. Please help!-img_2576.jpg  
Old 11-03-14, 10:21 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

i replace my alternator fuse about a month ago, it took 2 of us to release all the clips at the same time, they were really tight and u need a lot of leverage to get the white inner part separated from the black plastic. a couple of long flat head screw driver would make the job easier for you. by the way after we were done the plastic cover that goes on top of the fuse box wouldn't fit in properly. well good luck
Old 11-04-14, 06:22 AM
BLAXCGS430
Driver School Candidate

Good Day:
Thank you, islexusred. Your guidance is well appreciated. It's funny but I tried this with another gentleman. We simultaneously separated the long black clips from the short white ones on both ends with screwdrivers. Then we tried to lift the white inner part of the fuse box from the black exterior. We could not budge it. Should we have separated the small white pieces from the black clips with screwdrivers, then reposition the screwdrivers and press the black clips backwards to release them? Am I correct, are there just four black clips that need to be released? You spoke of leverage to separate the inner part from the black plastic. How much leverage and what tool(s) did you use to separate it? Is the inner part lifted in an upward direction from the black exterior? Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate you and the time you've spent posting a response. All my best to you and yours.
Old 11-04-14, 02:23 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need quite a few THIN flat tip screw drivers. The small ones with magnets on the ends are just about the right size. Also, the harness that comes out of the end of it will have a zip tie and a ***** load of electrical tape on it that will need to be removed so the wires can slide through the black outter case when the white inner case is released. Trust me....I feel your pain. My GS had a blown fuse and some idiot had just pinched the two burnt ends together.

The thin white "tabs" need to be pushed away from the black tabs. You can wedge the small screw drivers into the slot between the white/black tabs and leave them there. There should be 2ea tab sets on each ends. The ones in the middle that are actually reversed tabs just align the two halves during reassembly. See photos below

The 2 white tabs need to be depressed towards each other

White tabs need to be depressed towards the blue/purple relay. Wedge screw drivers in between black/white tabs. Should be inserted roughly 1/2-3/4" to release the locks
Old 11-04-14, 07:19 PM
BLAXCGS430
Driver School Candidate

Good Day:
Wow! I can't thank you enough KeyKeeper! Your description was simple, excellent and to the point. Here's how I know...I installed the fusible link before I read this. In fact, I just finished about an hour ago, flashlights and all!!! Your description included everything that I did with one exception. I removed the three relays near the fuse puller before I attacked the clips near them. That was the only way that I could get deep enough to release the clip nearest the "blue" headlight relay. The opposite clip was the easiest of the four to release. Once there, I was able to wedge the white, inner part of the fuse box up and away from the black exterior by wedging a screwdriver underneath the white part from underneath where the headlight relay rests. I reinstalled fuse box using the two exterior bolts to the car to do so. The two parts of the fuse box separated neatly from there with a lot of leverage. I deformed the exterior black part of the fuse box a little but I'm OK with that. I will turn the key in the morning after I reinstall the new battery. I didn't want to inconvenience the neighbors. Hopefully the remote will work and deactivate the theft system. The ignition will turn over and I will have a cheesy grin on my face! Thank you all so much for all of your help. I'll repost tomorrow to inform you if she's "alive." Thanks again. All my best to everyone who viewed my post no matter if you were able to help or not. Stay well.
Old 11-05-14, 12:40 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the key on when you connect the battery, the alarm wont go bonkers.