GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

02 gs runs bad and can't figure out why.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-14, 02:57 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 gs runs bad and can't figure out why.

So ever since I bought this GS it has had problems. From the beginning it had this problem that you give it gas and it kind of feels like it is chocking for a couple seconds before it reeves back up and moving. It gets worse when the car is warmer. Before it has missing problem when it's very cold like winter. I changes so many things on this car and non has fixed them. I did plugs, plug wires timing belt,VVTC solenoid Throttle body, checked for leaks and nothing. Now back to a couple months ago a new problem popped up. They could be related though. Now when the car is hot it dies and doesn't want to stay running. I stopped driving it for a couple months because I was tired of putting money on it. Today I put new coils on it and took it for a drive and the chocking when give it gas from slow speed or stop still exist but no sign of wants do die. So I let it sit and run for 15-20 min and all of sudden it start doing the same thing. My brother said black smoke comes out of the tail so it is most likely its ignition since I don't think bad temp sensor could cause the car to run like this. Problem is no Cell code so No idea where to look for and I don't have $2-3k diagnostic tools to check and see what is causing this. Anyone ever experienced this problem before? I don't want to put crank sensor or ignition controlled or even ECU and hope if it fix them. I'm just hoping it's not the ECU because that's a ***** to program and not cheap.
Here are two videos of the car doing this problem.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...ideo_processed
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...ideo_processed
Old 11-02-14, 01:13 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe maf sensor? Prolly not but look into it, Im sure someone with more knowledge can help you
Old 11-02-14, 11:49 AM
bashigs300
Pole Position

Oh yeah I replaced that too . there are not many things left on the car that I can replace. Lol I'm pissed. I want to drive this car but not with the way it is. I don't really want to put more money on to this car either. Just did timing belt and alternator less that 100 miles ago before it acts like this. I wish it had codes so I can know where to look.
Old 11-02-14, 12:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

At this point just bring it to the dealer. It'll cost you, but the other option is to just have it sitting in your driveway rotting away because it isn't working correctly. You've already put hundreds of dollars into the car with no result, it ultimately have have been cheaper to bring it to the dealer in the first place.
Old 11-02-14, 09:27 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ oh my gosh, I was just on the ls1 forum not to long ago and they were saying that people from club lexus have no knowledge about cars and all we talk about is "moar low" and when something mechanically goes wrong "take it to the dealer"

Bashigs, just wait a little before taking it to the dealer. It might be your only option but there are alot of older guys on here that could prolly help you, seriously this site has never let me down iv literally fixed everything on here with the help of these guys. Seriously, just wait a lil before you let the dealer charge you 200$ for diagnostics and 500$ for labor to replace something as stupid as a 10$ vac line, they tried to charge me 700$ to replace my charcoal canister and I fixed it by replacing a evap hose in the engine that autozone gave me for free ....
Old 11-02-14, 11:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Hes waited a couple of months. That's months that your paying insurance and registration on a car you can't use. Why? The "cheaper" option of throwing parts at the car and fixing it yourself isn't always cheaper. If hes thrown this much at the car, and that much money over this long of a period of time, the dealer (or fine, and indie) might be a good choice. Don't get me wrong, the forums help a lot, but a one time big maintenance cost isn't that bad.
Old 11-03-14, 12:27 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Hes waited a couple of months. That's months that your paying insurance and registration on a car you can't use. Why? The "cheaper" option of throwing parts at the car and fixing it yourself isn't always cheaper. If hes thrown this much at the car, and that much money over this long of a period of time, the dealer (or fine, and indie) might be a good choice. Don't get me wrong, the forums help a lot, but a one time big maintenance cost isn't that bad.
Ohh woah, i didn't know its been that long.

Lol yeah take it to the dealer

02SDGS I swear I wasn't pointing my finger at you, I just realized it looked like that. My bad, It was just wierd that I read that post like last week and I saw it happen, not even joking lol

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=264925

Last edited by gsean400; 11-03-14 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 12:29 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

On a side note their are Indy shops that have free diagnostics, try that
Old 11-03-14, 07:19 AM
bashigs300
Pole Position

Well something popped in to my head. Usually if the car is missing, the car would through a code for missing cylinder or even multiple cylinders. Even though the car feels like missing I don't think it's actually missing. It's probably dumping tons of fuel in it . That's why black smoke comes out whenever it wants to die. I have this OBD2 apps that might tell me what AFR on this car is when running. I hope it has option for map and coolant temperature and fuel trim. It could be something as simple as FPR. If I can't figure it out by looking at those then I have no choice but to take it to a shop.
Old 11-09-14, 11:02 AM
IDontCare
Driver School Candidate

Had a problem a while back similar to this. Not sure if it's something that was checked. I'm not a mechanic either, just going by what my mechanic told me. It was a problem with the VVT Camshaft Actuator sticking due to dirty oil. I was thinking my ECU was shot too. Cost me $100 to fix the issue. Problem solved.