GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Immobilizer or bad key

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 06:42 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immobilizer or bad key

after a week of struggling with this car (99 gs300) I finally figured out that I was a alarm related issue.

after changing my fuel pump I realize I had to reset the immobilizer. finally got the car running but after 20 minutes it cut off out of nowhere and I had to end up resetting it again. it cut off on me while I was driving. anybody know what's causing this issue and why it is cutting off and why does why do I have to keep resetting it thank you in advance

Last edited by freshmoney; 11-01-14 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 11:11 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your security light turn off when you put the key in the ignition, it should turn off immediately when you insert the key - without turning it.
Old 11-01-14, 06:12 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by angus
Does your security light turn off when you put the key in the ignition, it should turn off immediately when you insert the key - without turning it.
No it doesn't turn off when is in. It continues to flash
Old 11-01-14, 07:29 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Got it running again and made it to work. It was parked and when tried to start it the security light would not turn off. Tried the same thing as before leaving the key in the on position for 6 mins and it didn't work. Tried it three times and nothing. Light still flashing
Old 11-01-14, 07:37 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Car is throwing a P1633 LEXUS - ECM Malfunction ETCS Circuit code
Old 11-01-14, 07:44 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

You need to find a locksmith who can reflash your ECU.
Old 11-02-14, 08:29 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Going to try it this week
Old 11-02-14, 04:54 PM
freshmoney
Driver

You need to find a locksmith who can reflash your ECU.
Called the locksmith today and and was told if ecu is not seeing the key and its throwing codes he said 99% of the time its a bad ecu. He said to save my money on the flash. And get a new ecu. Any way to find out if my ecu is bad.
Old 11-02-14, 11:51 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by freshmoney
Called the locksmith today and and was told if ecu is not seeing the key and its throwing codes he said 99% of the time its a bad ecu. He said to save my money on the flash. And get a new ecu. Any way to find out if my ecu is bad.
Unfortunately you might have to find someone with a ECU you can try, it won't actually start but what you can do is this ( I just did this to test and ECU I have here)

1) Plug the ECU in from a known good car.

2) Use the key from the known good car

3) Verify the security light is flashing - then start to push the key into the ignition - it probably won't go in and you don't need it to go more than 1/8" (USE CAUTION) because you do not want your key to go in more - nor do you need to.

At about the 1/8" point, you should immediately see the security light go out (if it's a master key, if it's a valet key it needs 2-3 sec.) and if you are in a quiet garage you'll hear clicks from under the hood - this should verify that your ECU is no good.

If you cannot find a ECU to borrow, then you'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy a used ECU, either with a key or have it flashed.
Old 11-03-14, 05:41 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Unfortunately you might have to find someone with a ECU you can try, it won't actually start but what you can do is this ( I just did this to test and ECU I have here)

1) Plug the ECU in from a known good car.

2) Use the key from the known good car

3) Verify the security light is flashing - then start to push the key into the ignition - it probably won't go in and you don't need it to go more than 1/8" (USE CAUTION) because you do not want your key to go in more - nor do you need to.

At about the 1/8" point, you should immediately see the security light go out (if it's a master key, if it's a valet key it needs 2-3 sec.) and if you are in a quiet garage you'll hear clicks from under the hood - this should verify that your ECU is no good.

If you cannot find a ECU to borrow, then you'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy a used ECU, either with a key or have it flashed.
I called lexus corporate and they offered me the free ECU lost key program. I pay for one key they give me the a key free and I also pay for labor and programming. Lexus Corp quoted in the high $200 range I towed the car to the dealer and when I got there they were more around $500 for everything. Car is there now gotta call tomorrow and see if I can get them to get the dealer to adjust the price a little.

I'm not sure if the dealer is going to diagnostic car or anything to see if that is the issue. aused ECU from ebay would run me about $150 I would still have to get it reprogrammed. it would be a little cheaper but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thingI do plan to keep the car for some time
Old 11-04-14, 01:36 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

I called lexus corporate and they offered me the free ECU lost key program. I pay for one key they give me the a key free and I also pay for labor and programming. Lexus Corp quoted in the high $200 range I towed the car to the dealer and when I got there they were more around $500 for everything. Car is there now gotta call tomorrow and see if I can get them to get the dealer to adjust the price a little.

I'm not sure if the dealer is going to diagnostic car or anything to see if that is the issue. aused ECU from ebay would run me about $150 I would still have to get it reprogrammed. it would be a little cheaper but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thingI do plan to keep the car for some time
Well on one hand it is good to see that Lexus is still allowing this service.

I would definitely say that you could have bought an ECU with key used for about $300 or less, I have seen them.

However, the thing is that you may have some other issue with the car and taking it to lexus should be able to isolate that.

If it does not go over $500 and you get 2 keys out of the deal then I would say that all in all it's not terrible.

I would STILL buy extra keys from ebay and program them for spares.
Old 11-04-14, 01:37 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

It's your choice wether to save money and try to DIY or just stay at lexus and get it fixed but I just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-LEXUS-GS300-ECM-ECU-ENGINE-COMPUTER-W-MATCHING-KEY-89661-3A423-/171380493373?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e712cc3d&vxp=mtr
Old 11-04-14, 02:14 PM
freshmoney
Driver

It's your choice wether to save money and try to DIY or just stay at lexus and get it fixed but I just found this:

98 Lexus GS300 ECM ECU Engine Computer w Matching Key 89661 3A423 | eBay
To my understanding I would still have to go to Lexus to program used ecu. Car is already there. To much work to tow it back to replace ecu myself and tow it back to Lexus to program. Not many options. Starting to wonder if its just a bad key but it does throw a ecm malfunction. And yesterday it would not connect to read codes at all.
Old 11-04-14, 09:01 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

To my understanding I would still have to go to Lexus to program used ecu. Car is already there. To much work to tow it back to replace ecu myself and tow it back to Lexus to program. Not many options. Starting to wonder if its just a bad key but it does throw a ecm malfunction. And yesterday it would not connect to read codes at all.
Your ECU malfunction (code) is not the ECU - that is a traction control code - ETCS code.

You can buy the ecu with keys, plug it in and go - of course there's a couple "hoops"

You'll have a couple choices:

- Since the new key will not fit your ignition, you'll have to fix that, the first way is assuming you have a key with a valid transponder chip - you need to do the programming sequence and use the first key as your first key you insert - then you can insert your "old" key at the second last step - it would learn your old key's chip.

- If that fails, you can cut open your key and switch the chips.

- if you are scared or something, you can take your new key to a locksmith shoe can clone it.

- you could also cut open the new key and tape the chip inside the dash - this will make your car have no more immobilizer.

Like I said, you need to decide wether $500 or so will break you, if not then maybe just suck it up and pay.

You could do all this work right in the lexus parking lot - if you need further help, give me a PM, I can walk you through it.
Old 11-05-14, 01:53 PM
freshmoney
Driver

They still haven't come up with a total for the key I have to pay for. Lexus corp says they dont control dealer service fees so I would have to pay what they charge. Just going to suck it up and pay it. Ecu doesn't come in till Monday.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer or bad key