GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help removing "safety pad" get to steering tilt-motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 05:50 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing "safety pad" get to steering tilt-motor

I'm trying to remove the under-dash piece (#1 Safety pad, says manual) to get better access to steering wheel tilt motor. Not finding much on it ... I assumed is because is easy, but I'm tired of being "stuck" at this.

Removed #1 under-cover, ignition switch cover and 4 or so bolts from safety pad, but still sticking on right. Thought of prying this piece out (nothing about doing this?) in case a bolt behind it, but what if is a sensitive sensor? Anyone know something - what's procedure, or just pull like heck on it?

Old 10-31-14, 07:00 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The tilt motor is accessible from farther beneath. You do not need to remove that to gain access to the motor.
Old 10-31-14, 08:20 AM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see that you've missed bolts by the ignition cylinder. The cabin temperature sensor is behind the small panel, but that's all.
Old 10-31-14, 09:44 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-31-14, 10:32 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Thanks so much for your time to reply. I'm new to this...first forum of I've ever joined, and you're the first responses (other than another question) I've gotten trying to help. :-)

Its a nice feeling.

I did look at the bolt (very nicely) noted. That bracket didn't seem attached to anything else consequential to moving the (safety pad) panel itself. What I found was a bolt somewhat wedged between the black ("undercover") and gray ("safety pad") panels..on that right corner. I could access prying them apart slightly.

Getting that undercover apart from the safety pad isn't as easy as it looks somehow. Info is limited. Hoping I don't forget how to put everything back. Only have so many hours each evening.

Now I'm down to trying to unhook the wiring harness that connects between the two (tilt and telescoping) motors, to get to the screws in there to remove the tilt motor.

There's just not much detail in here for GS (2nd gens). Stuff all over the place for LS and SC, but guess those are easier.

As I understand it, from the few things I've found...I'm going to take apart (if I'm lucky) and re-grease.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...c-wheel-2.html

Disheartening that the above posted the problem returned after a year, but worth a shot. Not sure what the options are, besides replacing the whole thing as a unit or the tilt motor itself?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Help removing "safety pad" get to steering tilt-motor-mystery-underdash-screw.jpg  

Last edited by johnnyho; 11-15-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-10-14, 10:41 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Ok, I have something relevant to add to our knowledge-base on this topic!

I had read a post in here saying the Lexus "steering system manual" says to use "Molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease" for the steering wheel gears. While it may not be related experiences using standard white lithium grease and things reverting within a year, I had read a post of someone having a dealer do the clean/regrease and still holding up after some time. Also someone that used ball-joint grease, saying it would take a long time to break down and their procedure was still fine sometime later.

I called Lexus dealerships to ask if they sold something like this "recommended grease". First dealer did show they carry a specified grease for the application (disulfide lithium grease) for $70 a tube. Tried another to price-compare (having also inquired with both service departments if they do the service itself - they're not that familiar with here). The next sold the tubes for $65, but then also showed a cross-reference to an alternate, less expensive one. Which turned out to be Napa Auto Parts, part# SL3174...a CV-joint grease made by Stay Lube for around $6 a tube..

My nearest Napa had to have it brought in from the nearest warehouse, same afternoon, sure enough it says its a lithium grease fortified with "moly disulfide"(with some other additives and inhibitors). But at a...what. 130% savings? Keeping in mind it is supposed to be for CV joint applications, it does say "old grease should be solvent-cleaned and air-dried before application".

I'm going to give it a try, soon as I can return to trying to remove the two screws holding the tilt-motor to the shaft (rear upper and front-facing lower, of the motor)...hopefully without stripping out the phillips recess of the screw heads. I'm guessing if I do strip it (may have Loctite) might use a dremel cut off disk to reshape it, for grip, then replace screw from a fastener specialty shop.

FYI it was kindly pointed out to me that of the four screws on the motor, just two needed to remove the motor from the column assembly, then the other two hold the motor itself together. The two to remove from column are interior-facing lower and firewall-facing (rear-ward as facing). Johnno92 was who helped and posted a photo....see page 4 of this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pic-wheel.html

Last edited by johnnyho; 11-10-14 at 10:46 PM.