GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What to do with stock audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 12:52 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with stock audio system?

I've been wanting to do something with the stock audio system because it doesn't sound as good as it could, however I'd like to keep the stock head unit because I want to keep the steering wheel controls.

Is there a way to wire in an aftermarket amp or something? Or is my only option to upgrade the speakers themselves?
Old 10-07-14, 02:49 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

With a little tedious work, yes you can wire an aftermarket deck. You'll have to [dare I say] cut the wires going into and out to your stock amp and find out which wire goes to each speaker. Finding which wire goes to each speaker will be easy, finding which wire on the deck goes to which speaker will be more difficult. I believe theres a schematic on here (possibly in the audio section) that has what each wire does. One thing though you might run across is the decks signal not being enough power (voltage output) to allow the amp to work its full potential, you'll have to find a way to wire an in line booster for that.

Do some searching on here and online, there are devices that can be hooked up your factory wheel controls to any aftermarket deck. But then you'll have the problem hooking up the factory amp to it. Best and funnest bet is to just replace the deck, add an amp and rewire everything... Thats FUN! For me at least
Old 10-07-14, 05:57 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pshhh putting an aftermarket is the way to go and its easy.
Old 10-07-14, 08:35 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

it's not that hard, everything has an aftermarket harness which is basically color matching and plug and play

you can keep steering wheel controls with the right harness
you need LOC harnesses with the stock audio wiring.
Old 10-07-14, 08:58 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by offbad
it's not that hard, everything has an aftermarket harness which is basically color matching and plug and play

you can keep steering wheel controls with the right harness
you need LOC harnesses with the stock audio wiring.
Which harness are you referring to? As far as I know, there was no steering wheel adapter made for the 2001 GS and from what I've read on crutchfield, Adding an aftermarket deck requires re-wiring the amp and swapping out the stock sub and all kinds of expensive mods.

Stop me if i'm misinformed here?
Old 10-07-14, 10:41 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=212

http://www.bcae1.com/loc.htm
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...onverters.html

http://www.bcae1.com/headunit.htm
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-wi...=1218105187871

http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST95-8152.pdf
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JQO8HFc...g-Harness.html

there's a bajillion options out there, and it's not expensive.
Old 10-08-14, 09:23 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Which harness are you referring to? As far as I know, there was no steering wheel adapter made for the 2001 GS and from what I've read on crutchfield, Adding an aftermarket deck requires re-wiring the amp and swapping out the stock sub and all kinds of expensive mods.

Stop me if i'm misinformed here?
You are correct. As far as I've read in the last 10 years, theirs no remote wire on the stock amp, it uses a signal from the stock deck to turn it on. Guys have pulled apart the amp and never found one, thats the main problem, however I do see people hooking up aftermarket decks and succeed And yea, I've read the same issue with the sub not working. Just get an aftermarket deck and bypass the amp then buy a small amp for the stock sub.
Old 10-08-14, 08:40 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol easy my *** their is no harness made for this car, their is no plug and play and u have to bypass the stock amp in the glove compartment, then run your sub to an aftermarket amp, I paid to have this professionaly done, $175 and 7 hours later with a new double din touchscreen and updated navi and i was smiling ear to ear, good lord what a difference

Last edited by DosyBoy; 10-08-14 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 08:46 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DosyBoy
Lol easy my *** their is no harness made for this car, their is no plug and play and u have to bypass the stock amp in the glove compartment, then run your sub to an aftermarket amp, I paid to have this professionaly done, $175 and 7 hours later with a new double din touchscreen and updated navi and i was smiling ear to ear, good lord what a difference
i used a plug and play harness. had to bypass the parking brake setting (so i could use it while in drive) and wire up a few other things.

still had to bypass stock amp though and powering my interior speakers through the HU amp and my 12w7 through my 500/1 in the trunk.
Old 10-08-14, 09:06 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

i honestly don't know why anyone considers this difficult unless you're far inexperienced-- but i literally just bought harnesses, LOC converters, amp wiring kit, and used crimp butt connectors to get all this done. i posted a bunch of relevant links to the proper products and instructions-- there are a multitude of options available

i also used a parking bypass to watch DVDs while driving.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-SONY-PARKING-BRAKE-VIDEO-BYPASS-XNV-660BT-XNV-770BT-XAV-64BT-XAV-622-XAV-63-/150775613638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231aed48c6
Old 10-08-14, 11:20 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your money and time on that piece of ****. Connect the parking brake wire straight to ground and call it a day!
Old 10-09-14, 12:06 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

10 dollars, does the exact same thing-- not a big deal to me.
Old 10-09-14, 12:19 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a temporary fix till after the holidays I will be doing just this. Keeping the stock system while prepping for the future. I was VERY fortunate to have come in contact with one of the top I installers in my city, the guy who sent cars off to competition and everyone knows him. That guy. I asked him just what you did and he stated "keep the stock radio, install a DSP but you will have to install an aftermarket amp and sound proof doors and any other area to your liking. But "dynamating" the doors will improve your sound a lot".
He'll be stopping by Friday.
Old 10-09-14, 09:14 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My head unit has a setting to just turn override parking brake on : ) it's awesome lol
Old 10-10-14, 10:58 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

You seem to be very knowledgeable about this topic, can you post some links to everything I'll need for proper installation except for the new HU(a lot of the links you posted looked like the same harness, except for the instructions pdf)? Also did you need to replace the stock sub and wire in a new sub and amp?

Thank you for your help! It's people like you on this site that give me the confidence to do this process myself.

Quick Reply: What to do with stock audio system?