GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lack of response in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 06:39 AM
ArtyJay242
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of response in transmission

I don't have money right now to check codes wondering if you guys can help find out what may be the problem.

I have a 98 lexus gs 300 and the drive gear and reverse are so some-timing in order for the drive to work. I would have to warm up the car a little bit in order for it to go otherwise it would just sit there in drive not moving, I also would have to rev it up for it to move. Once the car has been driving for a while it doesn't take that long for it to get going. The reverse also doesn't work unless the car has been driving for a while. Sometimes the reverses works right away from a cold start but the drive doesn't.
Old 10-06-14, 08:21 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your tranny is slipping! Its like the clutches aren't catching. Have you ever change the fluid?
Old 10-06-14, 09:19 AM
ArtyJay242
Driver School Candidate

I just went to check the fuel level, it actually is low. I went under the car and noticed that the transmission fluid is leaking I recently changed my transmission filter because the above problems were happening. Also I've been putting in the wrong transmission fluid in for a about month because I couldn't find the one recommended could this also lead to the problem.
Old 10-06-14, 10:08 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

I believe so. Did you install the transmission pan with a gasket? Because I've read that the gaskets would cause leaks by uneven pressure points when tightened. You'll have to remove gasket, and apply I think its called "gasket maker" on the pan and then install; I think Toyota/Lexus dealerws sell them or you can get them online. Maybe someone here can clarify more on it because it basically seals the pan to the tranny. Also please use the correct fluid Toyota T-IV, since it low you'll have to get maybe about 7-10 quarts. Oh I realize that your in Bahamas, are there Toyota/Lexus dealers over there?
Old 10-06-14, 11:02 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

its DEFINITELY your fluid, drain and refill the tranny fluid at LEAST 4-5 times and the problem will go away unless it is somthing more serious which I highly doubt since these transmissions are pretty bullet proof
Old 10-06-14, 11:10 AM
ArtyJay242
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
I believe so. Did you install the transmission pan with a gasket? Because I've read that the gaskets would cause leaks by uneven pressure points when tightened. You'll have to remove gasket, and apply I think its called "gasket maker" on the pan and then install; I think Toyota/Lexus dealerws sell them or you can get them online. Maybe someone here can clarify more on it because it basically seals the pan to the tranny. Also please use the correct fluid Toyota T-IV, since it low you'll have to get maybe about 7-10 quarts. Oh I realize that your in Bahamas, are there Toyota/Lexus dealers over there?
I've used the actually use the gasket maker I guess it didn't come out right. Yes we have a Toyota/Lexus dealer over here but they are very expensive.

Originally Posted by DMPesso
its DEFINITELY your fluid, drain and refill the tranny fluid at LEAST 4-5 times and the problem will go away unless it is something more serious which I highly doubt since these transmissions are pretty bullet proof
Thanks for the info i hope it is my fluid because i really don't want to pay for a rebuilt or new transmission. I will fix the leak and try a transmission fluid flush with the right fluid.
Old 10-06-14, 01:46 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

you cant use gasket maker on the tranny you need the ORIGINAL OEM GASKETS, buy the fluids and gaskets from the dealer but have the job done elsewhere. You may also use Sewell to order the parts as they are the cheapest and they give discounts to ClubLexus members
Old 10-06-14, 01:49 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by ArtyJay242
I've used the actually use the gasket maker I guess it didn't come out right. Yes we have a Toyota/Lexus dealer over here but they are very expensive.

Thanks for the info i hope it is my fluid because i really don't want to pay for a rebuilt or new transmission. I will fix the leak and try a transmission fluid flush with the right fluid.
no no dont even think about a rebuild, these trannys act funny and do exactly what you are describing when the fluid is old, low, or the solenoid needs replacement. but regardless dont think its the tranny itself, this isnt a honda/acura.
Old 10-07-14, 05:14 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DMPesso
you cant use gasket maker on the tranny you need the ORIGINAL OEM GASKETS, buy the fluids and gaskets from the dealer but have the job done elsewhere. You may also use Sewell to order the parts as they are the cheapest and they give discounts to ClubLexus members
Really? I remembered reading on here that they've use the gasket maker without any problems while others used gaskets and had leaks. I don't know.

OP, try again with a new OEM gasket and when tightening the bolts, torque them to specs in sequence to apply even pressure on the gasket, that should prevent leaks. Like what my teacher told me, you tighten loosely you get leaks, to tight you will still get leaks. When using gaskets, torque bolts on parts where fluid will flow through.

Yeah I have family in Bahamas, and they told me everything is expensive over there. Use Sewell (I forgot to mention that) for the discounts. Hopefully you fix your problem.