GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400, noisy and clunky drivetrain.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 12:51 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like it must be the cluster - my reasoning?

- You have speed and temp on the scan tool, obviously the ECU is reading the sensors and they work.

- You have the odometer working - the cluster must be receiving the signal
Old 09-21-14, 05:30 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe the vibration is a bad harmonic balancer or torque converter?

Have you checked that all the accessories are good?

Did you change the timing belt? Is it lined up correctly?

IS the vibration a misfire?
Old 09-21-14, 05:32 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PTYGS400

The transmission keeps making the whining and slight grinding noises at low speed (Park, neutral, reverse, and first two gears). There is nothing I can do about it, so I am going to take the plunge and install the one that came with the car and see if its in better shape.
Are you CERTAIN that it is the transmission?

You might try pulling the serpentine belt and see if the noise disappears.
Old 09-23-14, 08:41 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angus

- You have speed and temp on the scan tool, obviously the ECU is reading the sensors and they work.

Exact same reasoning angus. All fingers crossed....
Old 09-23-14, 08:47 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the vibration is a bad harmonic balancer or torque converter?

Have you checked that all the accessories are good?

Did you change the timing belt? Is it lined up correctly?

IS the vibration a misfire?

I am suspecting torque converter.
The timing belt was replaced, and I double checked the marks. Still could be off. But the engine is smooth at idle and up to 1800 rpm. Its also making good power. Mmmmm.
Missfire? No, I`ve thought about it, but no, not breaking up, the thing pulls hard. You have a point here angus.... Something could be fishy with the timing belt. The accesory belt removal is also a good idea. Thank you!
Old 09-23-14, 08:50 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Are you CERTAIN that it is the transmission?

You might try pulling the serpentine belt and see if the noise disappears.
Man, I would swear the "cat" is under the front seats inside the tunnel. Pulling the belt is a good idea anyways.
Old 10-06-14, 04:41 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I have been very busy latetly and haven`t had much time to work on the GS. Nevertheless..... Good news!, I replaced the gauge cluster with another one from ebay. All fingers crossed and.... Voila! All gauges are alive!

Having operative gauges changes the driving experience quite a bit. Now I have one less thing to worry about and I can focus my full attention on the vibration issue. I still have the low oil light and check engine lights on (Iīll be replacing one of the O2 sensors tonight). Now that I have a tach and speedo I also have better means to evaluate the behaviour of the vibration.

It`s pretty much vibration free up to 1800 RPM (55 MPH in OD). Anything past 2000 RPM you get vibration, no matter what gear, even park or neutral. After 4000 RPM you can hear it inside the car. I avoid pushing it past 2500 for now. 75 MPH in gear vibrates, in neutral (idle), no vibration. In one ocasion I kept vibrating at 70 MPH with the engine at idle (Neutral). It gets confusing. Maybe the source is multiple.

This is the plan of attack:
1- Verify cam timing. (Wouldn`t I get a code from the intake cam position sensors?)
2- Replace the JDM transmission with the transmission that was in the car when I bought it.

Thank you for reading my thread....

P.S.: One last thing, last weekend I bought a 2001 GS300 NA-T, Platinum edition, with some body damage. The car is silver, 37K miles, smoke GS460 wheels, Stand Alone ECU, Intercooler, big Injectors, etc etc. It`s at the body shop right now. I started the engine and its smooth as silk. My GS400 is so Green in envy...
Old 10-07-14, 07:19 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking good. Slowly getting there. The miles can be adjusted on the new cluster if that's important to you. There are places or even mobile ECU techs that do this.

Or you can swap just the movements, if in fact the fault is contained within the actual individual gauges.

As for the new car, haha you're hooked. Be careful. Before you know it, you'll have another one.

Keep us posted on the transmission progress.
Old 10-08-14, 07:02 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Looking good. Slowly getting there. The miles can be adjusted on the new cluster if that's important to you. There are places or even mobile ECU techs that do this.

Or you can swap just the movements, if in fact the fault is contained within the actual individual gauges.

As for the new car, haha you're hooked. Be careful. Before you know it, you'll have another one.

Keep us posted on the transmission progress.
Thank you Jose. The miles dont really matter right now.
The new car... ahhh! Going back to my turbo roots! Remember my regreats? Now I dont have to choose between V8 and 2JZ.
Attached Thumbnails GS400, noisy and clunky drivetrain.-img-20140922-wa0020.jpg  

Last edited by PTYGS400; 10-08-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 06:55 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Default CEL Update

Replacing the Bank 2 Sensor 1 seemed to tame the CEL for a while. After about 45 min of freeway driving, it came back! This time I got a new code. P0441. This morning, suspecting simple things like a bad vaccum hose or loose gas cap, I went to work. I switched the two hoses that go from the engine to the evap system. It seemed to work, No CEL today. I still have the low oil light on. It turns off after the engine starts, and comes back on after around 20 seconds. This JDM engine seems to be burning no oil, so if this light keeps giving me trouble... I`ll just remove the bulb.

Another picture of the turbo GS300....
Attached Thumbnails GS400, noisy and clunky drivetrain.-img-20141009-wa0000.jpg  
Old 01-06-15, 03:36 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Any updates?

I too am chasing a rattle type sound in my car, it ONLY appears at 1100rpm and nowhere else, sounds like it's in the bell housing, I also suspect the tq converter.

As far as your driveshaft noise/play - I have the exact same thing but I have no clunking or vibration like you.

I have also JUST gained a new noise - a high pitch whistle...
Old 01-06-15, 06:55 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any updates?

I too am chasing a rattle type sound in my car, it ONLY appears at 1100rpm and nowhere else, sounds like it's in the bell housing, I also suspect the tq converter.

As far as your driveshaft noise/play - I have the exact same thing but I have no clunking or vibration like you.

I have also JUST gained a new noise - a high pitch whistle...
If interested I have a brand new OEM Lexus torque converter for sale. In case you need it. Search for it in the classifieds.
Old 01-06-15, 09:15 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Anytime I experience any clunking or groaning of the drivetrain, very first thing I check is the motor/tranny mounts.

My motor mount was completely split at 100K miles. It caused all kinds of problems that made me think it was a suspension/brake related issue when it was all due to the split passenger side mount.
Old 01-09-15, 04:02 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Anytime I experience any clunking or groaning of the drivetrain, very first thing I check is the motor/tranny mounts.

My motor mount was completely split at 100K miles. It caused all kinds of problems that made me think it was a suspension/brake related issue when it was all due to the split passenger side mount.
Common in the GS4 - mine are new.
Old 07-09-15, 07:53 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Post July 2015 Update.

Hello guys, its been a long time. Here the update.
The vibration has nothing to do with the driveshaft or rear axle. Not torque related either. Itīs totally RPM related. The engine/tranny make a moaning noise at low speed (idling and up to maybe 25 mph). Here is what has been done:
1- Timing belt synchronization was checked. Results: nothing wrong here. All is perfect.
2- Transmission and torque converter replaced with a Lexus/Toyota remanufactured unit. This tranny looks Brand new in every way (case, bolts, stickers, etc). Results: the moaning noise and vibration is EXACTLY the same as before!

Pending tests.
1- Starting the engine without the accesory belt and testing with another balancer (on my desk now)
2- Making sure that all the pins in the ignition coils are in the right position. (Some of the connectors were replaced).
3- Crankshaft inspection. This is the most extreme diagnostic I have heard from people who has been asked about this issue.... broken crankshaft! The theory is that the crank could be broken in the middle and getting some pistons out of phase. A slant fracture would not let the parts spin a whole turn but would cause vibration and noise (thrust bearings under a lot of load).
This kinda makes sense. The engine vibration is not always the same. Sometimes light, sometimes heavy. It gets worse if you make hard accelerations. When heavy you can hear the dashboard vibrate at over 2500 rpm. On the highway, when vibration was really obnoxious (bothersome even at 2000 rpm), I would alternate from "D" to "N" several times until I got it to get light. Thatīs why I was convinced it was something with the transmission.

I hardly drive the car anymore. What a waste!

Quick Reply: GS400, noisy and clunky drivetrain.