GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another shake thread...my mechanic and I are stumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 08:46 AM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another shake thread...my mechanic and I are stumped

So, I have the most obnoxious shake in my car. It typically starts in the rear, then works its way forward and into the steering wheel. Notice I say typically. This is where it gets tricky. Sometimes it's only in the steering wheel, sometimes it's not in the steering wheel and I only feel it in my feet in the front, and sometimes it feels like the whole car is on an acid trip. For the most part it only happens on the highway. However, sometimes it will shake at 70, sometimes 80, sometimes 65, sometimes not at all. It is very unpredictable and VERY annoying. So we started to try and fix it.

Started with road force balance and checking tire pressure. Nothing. Then replaced LCA #2 bushings with FIGs (LCA #1 bushings still look okay) and steering rack bushings (also FIGs), road force balanced again, checked TP again and did an alignment. Nothing.

Then we thought "AHA! We know what it is! It MUST be my F***ING wheel spacers!" Re-torqued spacers (Ichiba hubcentric spaces 15mm front, 25mm rear) and wheels to factory spec (actually to 80 ft lbs, factory is 76). Nothing.

We have no idea what is causing this bizarre shake. My mechanic says it's like nothing he has ever felt before. He thinks it may be that the drive shaft is off balance, which from what I understand can be a pricy fix. Any suggestions on what to try next? It doesn't feel like motor mounts (does not shake at all at idle) and my LCA #1 bushings looked fine. We're stumped. I hope the Club can help.

Thanks,

Geigs

Last edited by BigGeigs; 09-02-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:55 AM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Also FYI, it's not the rotors. I've got slotted and cross drilled rotors and they are smooth as butter when braking.

Last edited by BigGeigs; 09-02-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 04:38 PM
Iparkcars
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of tires are you running?
Old 09-02-14, 06:24 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you spun the tires to see if they are actually round?
I know it sounds ridiculous to ask, but in my experience about 90% of the time when I spin a front wheel/tire while mounted to a car, the tire is not round.

No amount of road force balancing will overcome a tire (or tires) that are not round.

I have never had shaking issues with my GS - the joys of custom made wheels (and excellent quality tires), I suppose.

The wheel spacers are definitely not helping, hub-centric or not. Do you need them to clear big brakes, or are you doing it for looks?

Have you ever replaced the front lower ball joints?
Old 09-02-14, 08:05 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Iparkcars
What kind of tires are you running?
Sumitomo Tour Plus LSW's. First time ever with these tires. They could definitely be the culprit.

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Have you spun the tires to see if they are actually round?
I know it sounds ridiculous to ask, but in my experience about 90% of the time when I spin a front wheel/tire while mounted to a car, the tire is not round.

No amount of road force balancing will overcome a tire (or tires) that are not round.

I have never had shaking issues with my GS - the joys of custom made wheels (and excellent quality tires), I suppose.

The wheel spacers are definitely not helping, hub-centric or not. Do you need them to clear big brakes, or are you doing it for looks?

Have you ever replaced the front lower ball joints?
I have not spun the tires on the car. It seems silly but it totally makes sense. I am on the stock 17" chromes wheels (had 19" Maya ST5's, car road like crap, bent the rims too many times, sold them). Wheel spacers are for looks only, and no I have not replaced the front lower ball joints. At almost 170k miles it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them.
Old 09-02-14, 08:18 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Scratch that. I just texted my mechanic (he's a good family friend) and he did double check the tires on the car to make sure they're true.
Old 09-03-14, 05:21 AM
czr73
Driver

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
Also FYI, it's not the rotors. I've got slotted and cross drilled rotors and they are smooth as butter when braking.

My shaking began when I installed drilled and slotted rotors and new ceramic pads.

After reading many forums herein, what helped my shaking go away is properly torqued my lugnuts to 76 ft lbs "while the car is lifted", very important, and installing bigger hub centric rings. Im running TSW 20"'s wheels. The inside diameter is 60.1 and the outer diameter is now 74.3

Still, there are many other things that could require adjustment in your car. I believe that this phenomenon in the 2GS is the biggest flaw in the 2GS design as it affects most every owner.

Keep searching these forums, there is plenty of good intell on the symptoms your having. I suggest you search: "steering tensioner adjustment". That little 1/16 of an inch turn makes a huge difference. You'll see.
Old 09-03-14, 10:30 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't promise that the lower ball joints will cure the vibration, but definitely replace these ASAP.
They are a known issue on the 2GS and are really a maintenance item, especially on the earlier 98-00 cars. I replaced mine at about 120K as a precaution.

If you need further convincing:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...with-pics.html
Old 09-04-14, 12:27 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

What type of wheels and tires do you have?

Tires make a real difference.

If you have some fresh balling tires, then I suggest you check your ball joints and tie rods.
Old 09-04-14, 12:30 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuanville
What type of wheels and tires do you have?

Tires make a real difference.

If you have some fresh balling tires, then I suggest you check your ball joints and tie rods.

Damn! Slow Internet only loaded the first post and didn't see the replies!
Old 09-04-14, 06:13 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Ordered Megan Racing Motor Mounts and MOOG LBJs. Hopefully this will clear things up a bit.
Old 09-05-14, 12:31 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your wheels could be slightly bent - I had all 4 of my wheels straightened and the cadr rides like butter
Old 09-05-14, 04:39 PM
Beaugs4
Driver School Candidate

Also check for rust buildup between the hub and wheel.. this could cause the shaking your talking about if there is enough rust and the wheel isn't seated properly. Just use a wire brush or sandpaper to get rid of it.
Old 09-06-14, 12:50 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is when I had spacers, I had the exact SAME problem. I took them off and the problem went away
Old 09-06-14, 03:00 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Try using some other set of wheels. And if it still does, it's not your tires/wheels or the other way around

Quick Reply: Another shake thread...my mechanic and I are stumped