GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HALO HEADLIGHT - Good or Bad? Pro & Con?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 12:15 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ava92
It's not bad at all, not sure about where you live but here tons of drivers have ghetto-rigged HIDs, and half of THOSE are lifted trucks, so it's not really a big deal at all
^^^^ he's missing it
Old 09-03-14, 12:23 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

looks like cheap ebay garbage, imo
Old 09-03-14, 02:20 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got used to it but what about the oncoming traffic lol. [/QUOTE]

Oncoming traffic on the left side? maybe i have it wrong? i thought RHD is when the beam rises on the right side. personally i had to get used to the brightness of the projectors and i like the rise on the side since most people have to lower their headlights so they dont blind oncoming traffic. the rise lets me see signs really far away and also mountain passes and deer since where i live i drive long faster roads out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-03-14, 02:50 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3KID
You got used to it but what about the oncoming traffic lol.
Oncoming traffic on the left side? maybe i have it wrong? i thought RHD is when the beam rises on the right side. personally i had to get used to the brightness of the projectors and i like the rise on the side since most people have to lower their headlights so they dont blind oncoming traffic. the rise lets me see signs really far away and also mountain passes and deer since where i live i drive long faster roads out in the middle of nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Both you and Ava92 are missing the point, which is this: In most countries that whose vehicles are left hand drive (aka North America, most of Europe, parts of Asia, etc.), you drive on the right side of the road... therefore, the pattern of the headlight beam is angled slightly higher to the RIGHT as to provide visibility towards the edge of the road and to NOT blind/glare/etc oncoming traffic. Now take this concept and reverse it for countries who drive RHD cars on the left side of the road (the UK, Japan, New Zealand, Australia,etc.)...

So, what you're doing is driving with headlights whose beam pattern is the opposite for the roads on which you're driving. Hence, although YOU don't notice it or believe that your headlights are lighting up the road better (which technically they are, however improperly)... the RHD headlights that you're driving on LHD roads are most likely blinding people driving in the opposite direction.

This is what we were referring to about you guys not having a clue.
Old 09-03-14, 03:26 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
^^^^ he's missing it
Shrug. my friend has dailied some ebay halo RHD ones for over a year and no one flashed him once. Sure it's not optimal, and not something I would ever run in my car, but with the amount of retards running around with HIDs in halogen housings, nobody is going to be blinded by these RHD ebay projectors.

And to northstyle, yes obviously I realize that the pattern is different in RHD cars or I wouldn't have posted anything

The 3rd set linked in the OP are not really that blinding to oncoming traffic, the main problem is he can't see street signs very well

Last edited by Ava92; 09-03-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 03:56 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Well I don't mean to sound like I know better because I really don't In fact I appreciate any corrections I read because that's the real reason I joined CL is to learn our cars but I chose to give input based on the fact that I own one of these product in comparison to those who don't, which is the majority
Old 09-03-14, 11:04 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So there are a few person in this thread who knows they're doing it wrong and still keeps doing it wrong because "everyone else is doing it too"?
That's ridiculous tbh.

Luckily we have here this thing called law and these people called police who controls morons like that.
Sure there are some individuals who get away with it but it sounds like it's more like a rule than exception in there.

RHD headlights on a LHD car is not the same as xenon kit on a halogen housing.
Even if the xenon kit does dazzle oncoming traffic it's not that bad as RHD lights because RHD lights are pointed towards the oncoming traffic.

Do as you please, but you guys shouldn't intentionally advice people to buy the wrong kind of headlights no matter how "cool" they are (which these 3 aren't).
Old 09-04-14, 12:15 AM
pnoychclt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXOVE
Hi,
I just wonder if any of you have any experienced with these aftermarket Halo Headlight?
Are they good / reliable? Do you have any problem at all?
Appreciate if you could share your experiences. Thanks
I do have experience with aftermarket Halo Headlights...not the proudest time of my life by the way.

They are alright, if you can stand the look, its all a matter of opinion for looks... Reliability is based on if the company made a good product and if you do the wiring correctly.

I had a ton of problems with mine and did a half *** job. End Result = worked alright for a good year, but looked terrible in person. Also, I can say that they felt cheaply made.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I would get either stock headlights or retrofitted stock headlights. I know it's a lot of money but the end result is what it is.
Old 09-04-14, 01:31 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

do a retrofit with the q45 projectors.
Old 09-14-14, 06:29 PM
LEXOVE
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for sharing your views. I certainly respect each & everyone opinion.
Old 07-27-23, 01:21 AM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These old threads are some funny reads. 🤣 A decade ago it was "Don't do it, they look tacky" "Just retrofit them" NOW EVERY CAR COMES WITH SOME SOUGHT OF LED HALO, OR LED STRIP WITH PROJECTORS. A decade later the 2nd Gen is still strong and the halo headlights come with projectors, and better bowl reflectors to accept LED bulbs. Your car will look dumb without upgraded halos integrated into the headlight system. Also the halos are so bright these days that there's no need for the ugly DRL... Don't get me started on my Euro style led taillights 🤣, or my 3 way switchback fogs that change from 6k white, 4k cool blue, and 3400k amber Oooouuuwee those fogs are so pretty...PS: Don't get mad at me bumping this post
Old 07-27-23, 12:04 PM
firelizard

Received 420 Likes on 335 Posts

Subjectively, aftermarket halos and projectors still look tacky on the 2GS. Some are worse than others.

Brand new OEM HIDs are the top flex, especially if they're Sport Designs.
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 12:41 PM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
Subjectively, aftermarket halos and projectors still look tacky on the 2GS. Some are worse than others.

Brand new OEM HIDs are the top flex, especially if they're Sport Designs.
Lol. No one uses Hid anymore. They are inferior to LED bulbs #1, #2 they are bulky systems, #3 they draw too much power, and take awhile to operate at optimum performance. Now I do agree the Sport Designs are unique, but a Flex 🤣🤣🤣. A 2nd Gen GS flex is a Black Pearl Luxury Line body kit, Veilside, or even a Vertex body kit, Weds wheels, things of that nature. But OEM headlights that are NOT led, and projector upgraded are NOT a flex... But to each it's own.
Old 07-27-23, 03:56 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I already regret wasting my time to respond, but whatever. What was the point of bumping this?

Outside of all that BS about appearances, light output to the ground (and not in oncoming drivers' eyes) matters more than trying to look cool. For as long as those Spec-D headlights have been on the market, you would think a proud owner of them would post evidence of their practical light output and put that up against LS430 projectors if they were so confident about how great they are.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the nonsense about looks. For every unsourced claim that halos are highly sought after, I can make an equally unsourced claim that there are people who hate LEDs of any kind on modern vehicles and find them to be blinding, glare-inducing, and ubiquitously overdone and unimaginative. It's not good to live in an echo chamber.
Old 07-27-23, 11:01 PM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Originally Posted by 8M6
I already regret wasting my time to respond, but whatever. What was the point of bumping this?

Outside of all that BS about appearances, light output to the ground (and not in oncoming drivers' eyes) matters more than trying to look cool. For as long as those Spec-D headlights have been on the market, you would think a proud owner of them would post evidence of their practical light output and put that up against LS430 projectors if they were so confident about how great they are.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the nonsense about looks. For every unsourced claim that halos are highly sought after, I can make an equally unsourced claim that there are people who hate LEDs of any kind on modern vehicles and find them to be blinding, glare-inducing, and ubiquitously overdone and unimaginative. It's not good to live in an echo chamber.
Spec D??? Maaaaaaan. No brother these are OEM straight from Lexus, that were professionally retrofitted with 3.5 inch projectors, 4 SOLID unbroken ( meaning not 30 leds to make a ring ) Halos which can be pulled out and replaced with ease, also my system is auto leveling. I'll show through pictures ( although my windshield dirty, and the camera distorts taking pictures of a light source ).

This is to disprove your blinding people. You can see the clear cut off from left to right lol

This is on an incline, to once again disprove your blinding theory, and to show the auto- leveling

These are just the halo rings, which is distorted. They are definitely not a blog of light like I'm the picture.

Low beams, halos, and fogs ( 6k white )

Driving, low beams, halos, fogs ( 3400k amber ). Once again you can clearly see the SUPERIOR cut-off of the beams and the proper leveling.

Now this is BLINDING! I'll never use high beams, because of the superior headlights and Hikari led bulbs being enough on just low beam. Just tell me you're sorry 😞 🤣🤣🤣

Quick Reply: HALO HEADLIGHT - Good or Bad? Pro & Con?