GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Who's running high wattage HID lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-14, 08:11 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who's running high wattage HID lights

Need new fogs. Right now I am running 6000k fogs, and was thinking of going up some watts since I come home from work late and I go down a 3 mile long road with no street lights or houses. What's the highest I can go without melting the housing? I want to switch to 4300k
Old 08-31-14, 10:27 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you meaning the kelvin rating, or actual watts as in 35/55W?
Old 08-31-14, 11:56 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kelvin is a measurement rating for the color, I think what you meant was the wattage. The 55w should be a lot brighter but personally I'd stick with 35w. 55w for fogs is a bit of overkill IMO, it'll cause a large amount of glare.
Old 09-01-14, 01:03 AM
SZA
Pit Crew

I had 35w 3000k fog light HIDs and they looked more green than yellow. 55w is the standard on my cars for crisp color.

I was looking on alibaba.com and talked to a few sellers on there. They have 75w and 100w hid kits available in all kelvin ratings.

I just haven't bought a set yet because like the OP, I am not sure where the melting point is for the housing.
Old 09-01-14, 06:26 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're talking about HID in fog light housings I don't have much to add as only my low beams are HID. However, I just replaced my oem fog light bulbs. I did a lot of research and was blown away by the results! I bought the 4000k Philips Clearview Ultra 9006's. The yellow from the fog light housing is so much more vibrant and bright now.

I didn't take any pics but I installed only one for a second for reference and I couldn't believe the difference over the oem side.

Keep in mind if you intend to keep the yellow the brightest regardless if you are running HID or Xenon like me in the fogs you want to stay at a Kelvin of around 4000-4200. This range is PURE WHITE which will emit the true color rather then skewing it with a different/higher Kelvin bulb. Also, the higher the Kelvin, for example 7000 will emit actually less lumins (candlepower) and will also emit a purple light...and a purple light behind a yellow fog housing will look like garbage IMHO.

Stick to around 4000 kelvin range if you want you fogs to look brilliant yellow (if you have the yellow housing type). As for low /hi beams my preference is around 6200 kelvin as it emits a greenish, mostly blue hue of light. Higher up from here becomes more blue but less lumins followed by purple with even less lumins. Good luck!
Old 09-02-14, 02:58 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I was talking about wattage. I broke the yellow caps out when I got the car and installed my 35 watt 6000k Aftermarket HIDs. I NEED really bright fogs for the road I go down. I wanted to switch to 4300k strictly for visibility purposes. I don't drive with my fogs on during the day or at night in the city. But I take a back road to my house after work and its really in the middle of nowhere. Just this year iv almost hit 5 coyotes and the last thing I wanna run into is a pack of javelinas. Those things arnt afraid of anything and weigh a ton. I just need bright white high wattage HID lights but I don't want to melt the housing
Old 09-02-14, 08:40 AM
SZA
Pit Crew

^ Dude, just get a set of 55w 3800k-4300k kit and call it a day.
Old 09-02-14, 12:13 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A retrofit in the headlights is gonna do 10 times more for your night vision than brighter fog bulbs....
Old 09-02-14, 01:25 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I 100% agree with what Kyle Harty said about doing a headlight retro to PROPERLY increase nighttime vehicle lighting. It's unnecessary to run a 55w HID foglight but if you want better fogs, you should look into doing a fog light retrofit as well. You shouldn't really even need to run your fog lights unless you're driving in foggy conditions.
Old 09-02-14, 03:27 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
A retrofit in the headlights is gonna do 10 times more for your night vision than brighter fog bulbs....
^^^^ this... once i finished my LS430 retrofit I ended up covering the fog lights with black tint since they were pointless at that point to me after the retrofit. Maybe if I also ran an HID kit down there i'd feel different.

I was using a 55w kit that I already had with 35w Philips Ultinon Bulbs in the LS430 retrofit. Light was insane, never had any issues with the bulbs running on a 55w kit, and no issues with melting, peepling, bubbling of the retrofit with the 55w kit.

Almost everyone will say its bad to run 35w bulbs on a 55w kit... I did it for about a awhile and kept the lights on all the time during the day... no issues at all. However, with such a small space in the fog lights i think you may find some problems with a 55w kit down there... dunno. Seems like SZA might have been running some without issues???
Old 09-02-14, 09:53 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup, my LS460's render the foglights (even with quad projectors) irrelevant. LS430's output is better and wider but even the 460's will light up 6-8 lanes and/or ditches even and bright. A good retrofit will easily be one of your favorite mods if you drive in the country at night.
Old 09-03-14, 12:30 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Although thats a great idea. Retrofits are outa the question. I like my stock look. It's not something I personally would do. I like my lights at the moment and it gives me good visibility. I feel like if I get more clear lights like the 4300k and get em a little brighter it would be perfect.. It looks like 55watts are the next step up? Sorry I don't know alot about HID lights. The guy I bought them from said they would come out clear but instead they came out with a blue tint. I just want more clear brighter lights. Is anyone running 55w HIDs in they're fogs?
Old 09-03-14, 12:43 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
I broke the yellow caps out when I got the car
I like my stock look.

You might as well install projectors (retrofit) in the original housing. It's as stock as your modified fogs are now.
Old 09-03-14, 11:19 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lutkis

You might as well install projectors (retrofit) in the original housing. It's as stock as your modified fogs are now.
My cars appearance is pretty much bone stock. I don't even have my 20s on it anymore. If you call the broken caps a "mod" then it's one that most people don't even get to see cause I don't use my fogs during the day or night, just down that road. The retrofit sounds nice but IMO I think it would look a tad fugly if that's the only mod on my bone stock GS.
Old 09-03-14, 11:22 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

then it's one that most people don't even get to see cause I don't use my fogs during the day or night
The retrofit sounds nice but IMO I think it would look a tad fugly if that's the only mod on my bone stock GS.
But then again, would that be seen either if not looked very closely (not to mention people who don't know how it really should look like)? Especially if you use the stock housing.

Quick Reply: Who's running high wattage HID lights