GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Changed Starter, now car Cranks but wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 09:28 AM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Starter, now car Cranks but wont start.

I have a 1999 Lexus GS300 and the starter was going out. So i decided to drive my car with the defective starter for a couple days while i waited for my part to come in. Everytime.. I would have to CLICK the starter maybe for 10 minutes before it started. (Hammer trick is useless btw.. Well at the time being)

My car is a healthy baby girl with 180k miles on it. It does run healthy, no problems. Before the starter went. You can crank her right up and go.where you need to go no problem. As if fresh out the showroom flor. I finally received my starter in the mail and decided to change it one weekend..

So i disconnected the battery, lifted the car. Went under. Removed the signal wire and the power wire. Replaced the starter and reconnected battery cables. Went to go start the car. And magically the car just turns over and doesn't start. It turns over amazing. Better than what it used to. But to no avail.

Things i have done: READ AND TAKE NOTES.

Tried resetting the ecu via fuse and battery method. Went as far as removing the ecu from the bay overnight. Unlocked the car via fob and manually. Even went as far as setting the alarm off and manually unlocking doors. Car alarm light goes off when you insert key. I've left the key in the ON pos. For 7 min.. Even up to an hour and a half. Checked all my relays. All relays are good.. But im bot satisfied. So i threw them out and ereplaced with new ones of the same spec oem. An old car.. New relays, why not? Checked all fuses including EFI fuse. Fuses are ALL GOOD. including thw ones inside the cabin.. Hmm not happy.. Replaced every fuse from outside the car all the way to the inside.

Got a new maf sensor. And a new ignitor. With all that said and done. I doubt changing the starter will cause the car not the start. Its getting fuel and spark. In fact.. I went to crank again and heard a loud BOOM. Air filter got scorched to nothing. Bottom of the air intake system, where a metal box that sits, got blown to pieces. Strong smell of fuel/oil.

Car might catch a moment and try to start but looses it and keeps turning over. And ever so often you hear that loud BACKFIRE OUT THE INTAKE... Not exhaust..COMING FROM THE INTAKE (ENGINE BAY) not the exhaust. What can this possibly be? Everything works. Windows. Alarm. Radio. Bonnet etc etc.. NO CODES show up on a scan tool. I have however disabled an 02 sensor from the car to install an AIR/FUEL ratio guage.. Car ran perfectly fine without it for half a year with no issues... The air fuel ratio guage reads within (14.5 - 17+) while cranking starting stoichiometric then going rich. Can I please get some help?

I don't think its the immobilizer. I'm leaning more towards Crank sensor. Or cam sensor. But why would changing the starter cause any of that to fail if I HAVE NOT touch anything dealing with sensors? Just the starter. Any info is greatly appreciated. I don't want to keep throwing money at a car that might just have a slight simple fix. Thanks. David

my other only option is the Crank Sensor, and the Cam sensor.. I doubt the motor jumped time, but if it did. How would it jump time While it was OFF, batt disconnected and starter changed. then Reverse Process? Makes no sense.

Since the Key can Lock and Unlock the car, I doubt the key needs to be reprogrammed to the Car.

I wonder if it's the IAC? Clogged?

I've checked ALL MY SENSORS for voltage. everything is good. Grounds are good and REDONE. meaning cleaned and put back in place snug.

I've checked sensor wires for any loose/breaks in the wires with a multimeter. everything checks.

Please help me. Thanks CL

I've posted before. I just dont know how to delete my old post, So if that is an issue I apologize.
Old 08-30-14, 10:23 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

here's a thread that may help you

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ssue-help.html
Old 08-30-14, 06:11 PM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by offbad
Thats my old thread. Im trying to delete that thread. But dunno how.

This is an updated thread.
Old 08-30-14, 07:42 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird situation you have there, but I have a possible solution.
Is it possible that your car has been running rich and that you melted your cats?
It sounds like your exhaust is clogged therefor the car will not start.
Could also be why there was basically a backfire from your intake instead of the exhaust. Maybe try removing an 02 sensor completely and see if that gives you enough exhaust to start the car. Or remove the exhaust at the cats and see if it starts.

Hopefully that helps.
Old 08-31-14, 01:42 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Man it sounds like you spent a lot of time and money on parts. Perhaps its time to give in and take it to a shop or dealer
Old 08-31-14, 01:27 PM
teeekuuu
Driver School Candidate

Are you really sure its not the immo though ? I had a similar problem a couple of days ago... Does the red light near the steering wheel, with a key picture flash when you put in the key ? It should stop flashing when you put the key in. If it doesnt stop, you can disable an gs300 immo by switching the ignition on for 6 minutes, then taking the key out and lock/unlock doors . At least thats what helped me.

Im not sure about the BOOMs and whatnot, but I don't know how long you ran the starter for too
Old 08-31-14, 04:00 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LALEX1
Weird situation you have there, but I have a possible solution.
Is it possible that your car has been running rich and that you melted your cats?
It sounds like your exhaust is clogged therefor the car will not start.
Could also be why there was basically a backfire from your intake instead of the exhaust. Maybe try removing an 02 sensor completely and see if that gives you enough exhaust to start the car. Or remove the exhaust at the cats and see if it starts.

Hopefully that helps.
I'm with him ^^^ I can't see any other reason why your car would back fire out the intake unless your exhaust was clogged. I wonder if you melted your maf sensor when that happened.
Good luck!
Old 08-31-14, 09:08 PM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. guys, it's weird how replacing the starter can cause it to do this?

I'll go about removing the 02 sensors to see if that will help and will report back to you.

Quick Question, if the cats are clogged/melted can the car still turn over perfectly fine?
Old 08-31-14, 10:00 PM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

Video of what it's doing

Old 08-31-14, 10:08 PM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LALEX1
Hopefully that helps.

LALEX1, no My car wasn' runnign rich. The Air Fuel reading when it was Drivable was between 14.5 - 14.8 at cruising speeds. and Normal Driving Condition. WOT Conditions will read as low as 10's. And Foot off the Pedal & Coasting will read upwards of 15.1 - 17.0+

So all that is figuring Normal in my head.

I'm going to hook my boost gauge up to my car and see what kind of Vacuum readings I am having while cranking, to hopefully rule out any, if possible, leaks.

Car is NA. Non boosted. I'm only using the boost gauge for vac readings.

I have a brand New OEM Crankshaft Position Sensor here ready for install. But im going to check for leaks again. to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time. Like little breaks, or cracks that I CAN'T see. I want to do a leakdown test. but dont want to waste money on that if thats not a major issue, considering once again, that the starter was the only thing changed at the moment and battery disconnected.

I also appreciate all the help CL. I'll keep you guys posted on everything.
Old 09-01-14, 09:35 AM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

Replaced the crankshaft position sensor this morning.

Disconnected battery, loosened belt. Loosened bottom nut under alternator. Removed top bolt. Pulled alternator out to the side.

Unplugged the sensor. Took out 10mm bolt. Replaced sensor. Wired it back in.

Installed alternator. Installed battery.

Sitting here for 6 minutes with key in on position for 6 minutes. Hearing some crazy stuff going on under the dash. And went to lock and unlock.. Put key in ignition. And still no start.

What is the weird noise under the dash I'm hearing?
Old 09-01-14, 08:11 PM
dkillrstr
Driver School Candidate

FIXXXXEDDD

Something in the back of my head told me to put a whiteout line on the corner of the accessory belt. Bump the starter to c which way it goes. And sure enough.. Motor was turning COUNTERCLOCK WISE.... Installed OEM syterter and she fires right on up and purrs like a kitten. She is one happy GS.

And THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS AT LEAST HELPED ME LOOK into the situation. Thanks again!!!

And for future reference.. BE CAUTIOUS WHEN BUYING FROM THIS SELLER. this is where I got my replacement starter from.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/engineelectr...p2047675.l2559
Old 09-01-14, 08:24 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

so how much did you save buying the starter on ebay versus say from sewell lexus.

and how much did you spend buying other parts trying to fix the problem?

lol glad it's fixed.