GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help? TPS/APS ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 11:17 AM
Brotherbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I'm back and not any wiser but I have spent a few hundred and not solved my problem. Hey It's probally a bunch less than going to the dealer..

Car now has 130K on it.

Update- parts replaced-
1- All 4 O2 sensors with Denso O2s
2. TPS
3. APP
4. Fuel filter on the pump.
5. Spark plugs.
6. Cleaned VVT filter

Car drives fine most days but every so often it hesitates badly or hesitates and dies , when it happens it will throw these codes.
po133
po153
po2195
I was also getting a TPS code but when I replaced the TPS and APP those went away.

I'm thinking fuel pump? The car is not a fast car -it preforms much like a V6 camry?? Its smooth , its nice but it does not seem to have the amount of GRUNT it should? Where can I tap the fuel pressure at and test it? What should it be?

What about the throttle control motor? Is it the culprit? How do you test it?

I have a small Actron code reader and a multimeter so I'm willing to test them if I can find out how?

Thanks for you input and advice!
BB
Old 12-29-14, 12:00 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

To confirm, you replaced the ENTIRE gas pedal APPS SENSOR? The part alone costs around 200 but is very easy to replace. Mine was doing that cutting out while turning when I needed a new APPS. (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor). If your positive you replaced that and the TPS which is also very expensive. Then I would say it has to be your battery terminals and connections. Make sure your battery terminals are secured on very tight and have no wiggle room and make sure they are clamping the entire battey post. One of my terminals was loose on the post and I was driving like that for months always wondering why my car suddenly lost power or would feel faster some days more then others and why I would get 150 miles per tank city driving. When I tightened the terminals the car feels like a new car again. MUCH more responsive. This car will act VERY funny if the battey isn't up to par. It is a highly computerized sensitive vehicle. The cutting out while turning is usually the APPS or battery for sure
Old 12-29-14, 12:12 PM
Brotherbob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DMPesso
To confirm, you replaced the ENTIRE gas pedal APPS SENSOR? The part alone costs around 200 but is very easy to replace. Mine was doing that cutting out while turning when I needed a new APPS. (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor). If your positive you replaced that and the TPS which is also very expensive. Then I would say it has to be your battery terminals and connections. Make sure your battery terminals are secured on very tight and have no wiggle room and make sure they are clamping the entire battey post. One of my terminals was loose on the post and I was driving like that for months always wondering why my car suddenly lost power or would feel faster some days more then others and why I would get 150 miles per tank city driving. When I tightened the terminals the car feels like a new car again. MUCH more responsive. This car will act VERY funny if the battey isn't up to par. It is a highly computerized sensitive vehicle. The cutting out while turning is usually the APPS or battery for sure
I appreciate the reply - YES I have replaced the TPS about 70 bucks and the APP about 240 bucks, yes.
I will however go over my battery connections right now!

Any input on fuel pump or Throttle motor?

Thanks!
BB

Checked battery- good and tight charging 14.2 V battery less than a year old.

Last edited by Brotherbob; 12-29-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 12:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brotherbob
I appreciate the reply - YES I have replaced the TPS about 70 bucks and the APP about 240 bucks, yes.
I will however go over my battery connections right now!

Any input on fuel pump or Throttle motor?

Thanks!
BB

Checked battery- good and tight charging 14.2 V battery less than a year old.
I'm not familiar with the fuel pump and that's definitely not it. Never heard of anyone HAVING to replace it. The throttle motor however I have heard of causing your exact problems. the plate in the TPS stays closed and cuts off the gas to the engine. But If you replaced the TPS isn't that replacing the TPS motor? I thought those were the same? What part did you replace that was ony $70? As far as I am aware you were supposed to replace the entire TPS Assembly which is a couple hundred as well.

That should definitely be the problem. I have heard of that issue before and I'm lucky I haven't had that one (knocks on wood)
Old 12-29-14, 01:32 PM
Brotherbob
Driver School Candidate

Ok I found this test for the fuel pump and I'm with in spec.
Click the image to open in full size.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...#ixzz3NK7cOGWh

Click the image to open in full size.

Mine read .50 OHMs

So my pump is good.....

Anyone know of a test for the throttle control motor?
Old 12-29-14, 05:54 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Someone should chime in soon about how to test it. But based on your symptoms Im 99.999% positive it's the throttle motor sticking closed. My mechanic told me about this problem a while ago, the TPS lets the engine cut out. Search it on here you'll find a lot of threads about this. What part of the TPS did you change if not the TPS motor?
Old 12-29-14, 06:01 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

are u sure it wasnt a p0420? normally 420 codes are signs of a new cat is needed. clean your throtle plate and maf sensor first. sounds carbon build up sticking up the throttle plate. spray carb clean or brake kleen on rag and wipe it down. dont spay directly into throttle body. car might start idle hunting after intial start up or may die at first. might have to keep rpms up until computer relearns idle position. this would be my first attempt.
Old 12-30-14, 02:08 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Oh yea, forgot to mention try cleaning the TB first. Doubt that will fix it. It usually isnt going to get stuck closed because it's dirty. But you never know it's worth a try!
Old 12-30-14, 02:10 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Make sure you post on here what fixes your issue so anyone else searching this issue can find this thread to save them a lot of money! I hate when people take advice and it fixed their problem and they just dissapear lol.
Old 12-31-14, 07:16 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have the entire throttle body complete with all sensors.

180 shipped if you need it.
Old 12-31-14, 07:29 AM
Brotherbob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aliga
i have the entire throttle body complete with all sensors.

180 shipped if you need it.
Known good sensors?Gimme a email buddy brotherbob@charter.net

Cleaned TB , MAF, and Had the CATS checked -all good.

BB
Old 12-31-14, 07:38 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brotherbob
Known good sensors?Gimme a email buddy brotherbob@charter.net

Cleaned TB , MAF, and Had the CATS checked -all good.

BB
mine is good, complete with tps, apps, etc, no need to calibrate. just install
Old 12-31-14, 07:48 AM
Brotherbob
Driver School Candidate

Done deal bubba email and PP coming your way.
BB
Old 12-31-14, 07:50 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

got it, thanks, removing now.
Old 01-02-15, 05:53 AM
czr73
Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
NOOOO!!! DONT! and I repeat DONT buy the cheap universal O2s, its only gonna cause MORE problems. I have heard so many horror stories about them. Your BEST option would be to find out which DENSO part number your car uses and order them from AMAZON! Denso is OEM so they will work perfect. The O2's should do the trick, if not its most likely the TPS, or it CAN be the APPS (Accellerator Pedal Position Sensor) IF your car has one. I know the 430s have one, not sure about the 300? My car wasnt dying but the pedal would lose connection with the car like how you are describing. Your problem is sounding more like a TPS but its weird that your CEL is completely unrelated because TPS wont throw a catalyst code...

I concur, the O2's are one of thee most sensitive sensors in any car, buy OEM, don't be cheap.

Quick Reply: Please help? TPS/APS ?