GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Auto leveling light came on????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 10:31 AM
evolon5150
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto leveling light came on????

I bought a set of headlights from a club member. I installed them and now the auto leveling light in my dash is on? Have anyone here experienced that? I double checked all the plugs and leveler? I even tried to reset the ECU, but no luck? Does anyone here might know what could have caused this? So now i'm stuck driving with the light on my dash on all the time. Thanks in advanced for any help. Please someone help me out.
Old 04-01-04, 11:29 AM
ligflava
Driver

does your autoleveling still work? the warning light might be on plainly because one or both of the autoleveling motors is no longer functional.

good luck.
Old 04-01-04, 11:58 AM
evolon5150
Pole Position

Auto leveler doesn't work. They don't move at all. I had to adjust them manually. The light in the dash comes on about 5 sec after I start the car. How could I check to see if the motors are any good?
Thanks
Old 04-01-04, 12:13 PM
ligflava
Driver

so this is what i would do to see if the motors are shot. the car is off. key is out. park facing a wall. first, turn your lights on (not the auto setting). then lock your car by pressing the alarm twice. that should turn the headlights off (but the switch is still on). now put the key into the ignition and start the car. do you see the lights turn on and the the light projected on the wall move?

if the pattern doesn't move, which means the motors are not moving, it might be a good idea to check the connections for the autoleveling motors (i'm not too sure where they are, but look around the headlight underneath the hood).

good luck!
Old 04-01-04, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if the autoleveling doesn't even work when you turn on the car and headlights, my only thought is that the computer or the motor is dead. both doesn't work or just one? if one, then it's the motor, if both, then i have to bet on the computer
Old 04-01-04, 02:17 PM
evolon5150
Pole Position

Thanks for all the fast replies, The lights come on but no movement at all on both headlights? My auto leveling system worked before the headlight swap.
Old 04-01-04, 04:57 PM
chrisgaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by ligflava
so this is what i would do to see if the motors are shot. the car is off. key is out. park facing a wall. first, turn your lights on (not the auto setting). then lock your car by pressing the alarm twice. that should turn the headlights off (but the switch is still on). now put the key into the ignition and start the car. do you see the lights turn on and the the light projected on the wall move?

if the pattern doesn't move, which means the motors are not moving, it might be a good idea to check the connections for the autoleveling motors (i'm not too sure where they are, but look around the headlight underneath the hood).

good luck!
I didn't even know I had auto-leveling headlights until I tried this. That was a neat trick. I guess I should go back and read more of the manual, aye? Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-01-04, 09:50 PM
lv2000
Lead Lap

i would try the motors and the brain unplug it all and try plugging it back in if u have a friend there take out the motors and cycle the key they should move if not the brain might be bad did u drop it when swapping ???? i have extra motors if u need them pm me
Old 04-01-04, 11:26 PM
evolon5150
Pole Position

I actually can hear the motor trying to adjust but nothing is moving. I didn't drop the headlight. I was very careful when installing.
Old 04-02-04, 12:24 PM
ligflava
Driver

are you sure what you hear is the motor? it might be the master cylinder pressurizing (an electronic motor pressurizes the master cylinder, located in front of the driverside portion of the engine compartment), which occurs when you start the vehicle. unless you're right by the headlights when the motor is moving, i doubt you'd hear the autoleveling motors moving especially with the engine noise.

rominl might be right, it could be the autoleveling brain, since both sides appear to be nonfunctional.
Old 04-02-04, 03:18 PM
evolon5150
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure its the motor in the headlight because I'm not starting the engine. The key is turn only on the on position, never started when testing the headlights. The light in the dash will come on shortly after I hear the motor stop. Well thanks for all the input on my situation. I think I just might have to take it in to get checked out.
Old 04-02-04, 06:24 PM
ligflava
Driver

do you see the light pattern moving when you hear the motor move?

at any rate, good luck, and let us know the outcome!
Old 06-01-04, 04:36 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ligflava
are you sure what you hear is the motor? it might be the master cylinder pressurizing (an electronic motor pressurizes the master cylinder, located in front of the driverside portion of the engine compartment), which occurs when you start the vehicle. unless you're right by the headlights when the motor is moving, i doubt you'd hear the autoleveling motors moving especially with the engine noise.

rominl might be right, it could be the autoleveling brain, since both sides appear to be nonfunctional.
Sorry to get off topic, I wanted to post a new thread up.....but I decided to do a SEARCH first.

Is that what the sound is??????

I constantly hear a pressurizing sound on the driverside. But I hear this constantly (even when I'm driving). It's more like the sound a robot makes when it moves its arm or something.....a robotic/pressureized sound that last about 2 - 3 seconds.

Anyway, back on topic. I never knew that I had auto-leveling either! Do 400s come with them or do only 430s come with them? I remember reading through the manual, but I don't think I read anything on auto-leveling. Cool.
Old 06-01-04, 05:24 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Anyway, back on topic. I never knew that I had auto-leveling either! Do 400s come with them or do only 430s come with them? I remember reading through the manual, but I don't think I read anything on auto-leveling. Cool.
So long as you have the OEM HID headlights (GS300, GS400, GS430), they all have the autoleveling function. Upon initial start up, you'll see the headlights do a diagnositc--it initially drops the beam to the ground, then levels it forward.

However, if you retrofit a non-HID GS with the OEM HID headlights (direct replacement), you won't have the autoleveling function as the non-HID cars don't have the right hardware for the autoleveling detection, and the headlights will remain in a fixed position (not necessarily bad if you don't weight your trunk down too much).
Old 06-01-04, 08:54 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Seattle -- I just sent you a PM.

e-man

Quick Reply: Auto leveling light came on????