GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SOS! Please Help, GS400 running VERY ROUGH

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 12:26 PM
azndriver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your needles check this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ed-needle.html
Old 08-26-14, 06:01 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azndriver
For your needles check this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ed-needle.html
Thank you azndriver, I will try that procedure and report back.

Last edited by PTYGS400; 08-26-14 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-26-14, 06:14 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Fuel quality test

Hello folks, FYI, the fuel quality theory has been eliminated. This morning I needed gas for my Yamaha WR426 (high output, high 12.5:1 compression motor). A few days ago, when inspecting the fuel tank and filters on the GS400 I took a one gallon gasoline sample.
I thought, what the heck, this is a good chance to test this gasoline (just hoping not to gum up a carburetor that is a pain to remove and clean up). The bikes tank was almost dry. I put half gallon of the GS400 sample gasoline. The bike ran flawesly. Bottom line: gas in the tank is good enough.

It´s 8 pm, I am going vaccum leak hunting. I´ll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-26-14, 09:56 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Default August 26th Update

Vaccum leaks hunting....

Jeff Tsai suggested that my resonator could be cracked. I plugged all the hose ports and filled the thing with water. There is a tiny crack on the bottom. I can repair it later, however, I don`t think it`s meaningful.

While inspecting the resonator/intake tube I noticed that the gasket that seals the intake tube on the throttle body was out of position. There was hope, not much but some hope.... I installed it nice and tight and gave it a try. Rough, rough running. Nothing has changed. I let it run at around 1000 rpm with about 25% throttle for a couple of minutes. Once every few seconds the intake goes pop pop. And sometimes it stalls even with the throttle open 25+%. When it stalls you can hear the intake backfire. I put a wrench under the throttle cable so I could go to the engine bay with maf cleaner and spray the intake and injectors looking for changes in RPM. Spraying around bank #1 makes no difference, but it does respond to spraying bank #2. One of the times it stalled with a pop/"sneeze" I saw smoke coming from bank #2. (Same bank that leaked smoke last night during the cigarette test).

I wasn`t planning on working too long on the car tonight, but I really wanted to know more about this terrible vacc. leak in bank #2. I decided to take the whole manifold out. Removed all the hoses, wires, fuel rails etc. The lower intake manifold is held by 10 12mm-head bolts/nuts (5 on each bank). Here is the most important finding of the day: while removing them, I found out that most of the #2 bank bolts were loose. Not so on the #1 bank side. There is hope again.... But I am too tired, and it will take me about one hour or more to put it back together. I´ll leave it for tomorrow, but before, I will smoke the intake manifold again and make sure the thing is really air tight.

Good nite and thank you for following my story...

Last edited by PTYGS400; 08-26-14 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 05:39 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow man you've have a busy weekend! Nice to see some real troubleshooting going down and not just whining because we haven't fixed it for you yet.

All those bolts loose is a good lead and if the entire bank is not air tight, then yes that's a big issue.

Let us know how that goes and hopefully we can put this thing to bed!

Good luck!
Old 08-27-14, 07:18 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I've been watching this thread and wish that I had something of value to add to it, but I'm glad that there's finally a lead on this.
Old 08-27-14, 08:23 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

just went through all 3 pages and maybe i missed it but have you ran a scanner on the OBD 2 to see if you pull any codes? I like Jeff's idea of the clogged Fuel filter... it can happen... What about fuel injectors?
Old 08-27-14, 01:39 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
just went through all 3 pages and maybe i missed it but have you ran a scanner on the OBD 2 to see if you pull any codes? I like Jeff's idea of the clogged Fuel filter... it can happen... What about fuel injectors?
Thank you guys for the replies and interest. Yes, the only code I have seen is P0300, Random Missfire. All sensors seem to be reporting fine. Fuel injectors will be taken to a lab for cleaning and testing if I still have issues after curing the massive vaccum leak. BTW, I haven`t paid for the starter wire replacement yet... and today I got a text message from the mechanic... "your invoice is ready" Ha! I replied "lower intake manifold was loose, do you know how many hours I have worked solving this??"

On the positive side, this intense troubleshooting adventure has been a Lexus GS400 technical crash course. First time I ever worked on a GS, and in less than a month, I have left almost no stone unturned. After I get all the ghosts out, she´ll be fully mine....
Life is funny, when I was shopping for the 1UZ motor, I almost bought a 2JZ-GTE (I am a long time turbo fan, experience with rotaries, road racing, stand alone programming, etc) but didn`t because I didn`t want to thinker with the swap. I confess feeling some remorse now and then, but this is the path I chose and will go through all the way.

Thank you, thank you once again.

Old 08-27-14, 01:48 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PTYGS400
I confess feeling some remorse now and then, but this is the path I chose and will go through all the way.
Angel... Hermano...

Don't have any regrets. The 1UZ is legend and everyone should experience it at least in one car they own in their lifetime. 2JZ's are all fine and dandy. I have one in my SC (love it too) but had a 1UZ in my former GS400 with a full complement of mods. I love my 2JZ but that 1UZ... I will miss it. There's plenty to be said for a nice simple NA V8 with intake and exhaust. Gave me goosebumps every time I started it up.

Enjoy it. It will be worth it in the end.
Old 08-27-14, 10:06 PM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Talking Victory!

From last night´s episode of this saga... Trying to find the vaccum leak, I found loose bolts on the lower intake manifold. I tightened them up but it was too late to finish the reassembly.

Today...

Got more cigarettes and smoked the intake again. Still lots of smoke coming out from bank #2.
Got the whole intake manifold out. And found a bolt nut sitting between the head and the intake. What a nice "spacer"!!!, the perfect size to keep the intake manifold from seating on the head. On the plus side, I am glad it didn´t fall into the intake port....

Removed the nut, put the whole thing back together and....

I am so happy, it`s been lots of work, many hours, many late nights, a lots of hard thinking.
Thank you guys for all the support, It really makes a difference to me having knowledgeable people giving me ideas and valuable information.

I still have issues to solve.... the gauges, the hard wired fans, alignment, shifter rod adjustment, low oil light going on and off. But thats all minor stuff. My engine purrs like a kitten!

Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails SOS! Please Help, GS400 running VERY ROUGH-cam00753.jpg   SOS! Please Help, GS400 running VERY ROUGH-cam00755.jpg   SOS! Please Help, GS400 running VERY ROUGH-cam00762.jpg  

Last edited by PTYGS400; 08-28-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 01:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

how in the world can a bolt get loose and end up inside the manifold? Was the manifold off before?
Old 08-28-14, 05:15 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
how in the world can a bolt get loose and end up inside the manifold? Was the manifold off before?
It was off to swap the starter and work on the starter electrical by a third party.

As they say, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Angel, congrats. Finally, the payoff! At least is was a free fix without having to shell out cash for anything expensive or even worse having to pull the motor or something. That is an ENORMOUS vacuum leak. Obviously that is pretty gross negligence by your starter guy. It's a shame, but in this business I see stuff like that a lot and I am paid to find and fix mistakes made by others.

You lost a lot of time but you learned a lot and confirmed all the right things with your car so not all is lost.

Congrats again! Even tho you're not done with all the other stuff, you're well prepared for it.
Old 08-28-14, 07:59 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Wow, congrats! It's crazy how a slight bit of negligence from one individual can cause a world of problems for another. I hope that other mechanic wasn't planning on charging you much at all!
Old 08-28-14, 09:19 AM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I've been watching this thread and wish that I had something of value to add to it, but I'm glad that there's finally a lead on this.
Thank you!
Old 08-28-14, 09:20 AM
PTYGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Wow, congrats! It's crazy how a slight bit of negligence from one individual can cause a world of problems for another. I hope that other mechanic wasn't planning on charging you much at all!
Very fine and wise words, very well said.

Quick Reply: SOS! Please Help, GS400 running VERY ROUGH