GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hub Rings... How Long They Last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 04:44 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hub Rings... How Long They Last?

I have a set of plastic hub rings that I purchased brand new back in 2009 and have used them on three sets of wheels. After mounting my summer wheels several months ago, the car does not handle as it normally would. It's a loose feeling whenever I hit a bump or drive over imperfections on the road. Keep in mind that the bumps can be small and I still feel looseness like a wheel is going to fall off. I confirmed that my lugs were all tight and I even tried other lugnuts but that didn't help. My front suspension components such as ball joints, caster arms, steering rack bushings and tie rods were all replaced with new parts within the last year and half or so. With that said I do not suspect that that it is something related to my suspension parts. Right now the only thing that I suspect would be the hub rings.I do have slight vibrations but not enough to annoy me. Was wondering if the hub rings is wearable part such as bushings that would need to be replaced at some point. Remember that these are not metal hub rings.

-G
Old 08-15-14, 05:15 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure that with heat and friction, plastic disintegrates.
Old 08-15-14, 05:46 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't say they "disintegrate"... but they're a wearable item. I tend to replace them once a year since they're so cheap and a relatively painless thing to do
Old 08-15-14, 06:18 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I wouldn't say they "disintegrate"... but they're a wearable item. I tend to replace them once a year since they're so cheap and a relatively painless thing to do
Replace once a year... isn't that overkill? They run around 15 bucks or so for the set but replacing them every year seems like a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-15-14, 06:44 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

how many mm are you running?
Old 08-15-14, 07:16 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by offbad
how many mm are you running?
I'm pretty sure they are 60.1mm

Old 08-15-14, 09:13 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Replace once a year... isn't that overkill? They run around 15 bucks or so for the set but replacing them every year seems like a little too much.

Might be overkill... but $15 and 10 min once a year isn't a big deal to me.
Old 08-15-14, 10:20 PM
shurian
Pit Crew

Get an aluminum hub rings they last for a long time ,dont use this platic ****ty rings
Do it right from beginning!!!
Old 08-16-14, 04:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i think this is a good observation that many people over look and could possibly fix many of the vibration issues... I to have had mince for many years and 3 sets of wheels later. I have noticed some gouges on a few of them but for the most part they look intact.. Granted if there worn on the edges that means there not sitting flush and could cause issues IMO.....
Old 08-16-14, 04:24 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i think this is a good observation that many people over look and could possibly fix many of the vibration issues... I to have had mince for many years and 3 sets of wheels later. I have noticed some gouges on a few of them but for the most part they look intact.. Granted if there worn on the edges that means there not sitting flush and could cause issues IMO.....
I failed to mention this since I did not think it would be an issue. During the time when I use to daily my GS, I was switching between my summer and winter wheels and I recall having to use a screwdriver and mallet to remove my hub rings. Apparently they got stuck to the hub and could not be easily removed. I began using antiseize to prevent it from happening again but my rings do have gouges in them. Again I did not think they are big enough to cause that loose feeling I described earlier. I've also PM'ed Charles over at B2Designs to share his input in this thread since I bought my hub rings from them and curious what his thoughts are. I'll try to remove my wheel this weekend and take a pic of the hub ring.
Old 08-16-14, 04:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

i checked Ebay after reading this thread and the aluminum rings are under $20 shipped... This may or not be your issue but for under $20 its worth a try.. I also feel like the slightest bump can take our alignment out of spec very quickly as this has happened in the past.. also make sure that no wheel weights have fallen off...
Old 08-17-14, 10:29 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't change for aluminum ones. If it's hard enough to take the plastic rings off try taking the aluminum rings off when they've been there a while..
Old 08-18-14, 01:45 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Lutkis
I wouldn't change for aluminum ones. If it's hard enough to take the plastic rings off try taking the aluminum rings off when they've been there a while..

i'm guessing you have the aluminum ones?
Old 08-18-14, 03:40 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i'm guessing you have the aluminum ones?
I have and have had plastic ones. I haven't heard anything good about aluminum rings, quite the opposite.
But each to their own way.
Old 08-18-14, 04:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Lutkis
I have and have had plastic ones. I haven't heard anything good about aluminum rings, quite the opposite.
But each to their own way.
any difference in road and tire feel between the two?

Quick Reply: Hub Rings... How Long They Last?