GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil leak? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 12:52 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak? Please help

145,XXX MILES. So I drive a 2003 gs 300. I've had the car for about a month now. I'm not a mechanic but I know some stuff. The car has no leaks under. It's just in the spot of the pic. So if it's an oil leak I'm guessing it's barley starting. Please help me I want to fix this problem before it becomes any worse. Thank you all in advanced.
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak? Please help-image.jpg  
Old 08-11-14, 12:53 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Old 08-11-14, 12:57 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

About how much will it cost to fix this. Is it something I can do my self or is it complicated and I'm better off taking it to a mechanic
Old 08-11-14, 01:37 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it may be coming from your valve cover gasket. I don't know how much labor will cost you but if you have little mechanical skills, anything is possible.

I changed mine out last week, it wasn't too bad but I wrenched on these 2J's ever since I can remember. you are going to have to remove the throttle body and part of the intake manifold to remove that intake side valve cover off. While your at it, check your VVT-I pulley, mine is leaking and these are common to leak

There's a DIY somewhere around here on removing spark plugs/ignition coils, read up on that and it will give you an idea how the job is going to look
Old 08-11-14, 01:57 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Originally Posted by 6SOARER
Looks like it may be coming from your valve cover gasket. I don't know how much labor will cost you but if you have little mechanical skills, anything is possible.

I changed mine out last week, it wasn't too bad but I wrenched on these 2J's ever since I can remember. you are going to have to remove the throttle body and part of the intake manifold to remove that intake side valve cover off. While your at it, check your VVT-I pulley, mine is leaking and these are common to leak

There's a DIY somewhere around here on removing spark plugs/ignition coils, read up on that and it will give you an idea how the job is going to look
Thank you so much I really appriciate it. All my friends own 2jzs so I'm pretty sure they will help. Thanks again
Old 08-11-14, 01:59 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Originally Posted by 6SOARER

I'm a little short on money. Do you know about how long would be safe to be driving with this leak? I'm doing it asap though
Old 08-11-14, 03:14 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

You'll be ok, the worst that will happen is oil will get in the sparkplug valley and may cause misfire and obviously your motor will get dirty.

Clean what you can with simple green and lightly tighten the valve cover bolts, factory torque is 74 in. lbs.
Do not over tighten the bolts, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn

I won't go more than 6 to 12 months, enough time to research and DIY, then you can pay yourself $100. an hour instead of someone else.
Old 08-11-14, 07:18 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the valve cover gasket to me too. Here is a DIY video.

Old 08-11-14, 09:13 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Looks like the valve cover gasket to me too. Here is a DIY video.

Thanks, ima give it a shot and do it my self.
Old 08-11-14, 10:12 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

I took off the vvti cover and the main cover and yes it's the gasket. I'm going to have to replace the intake gasket and the exuast gAsket. There's oil down in the sparkplug are. Im going to clean that and go ahead and replace the sparkplug a as well. What should I look for in the vvti pulley. And what else should I replace once I have all this tooken apart?
Old 08-11-14, 10:14 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Kinda hard to see but yea the spark plug area has a lot of oil
Old 08-11-14, 10:15 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Old 08-11-14, 10:18 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Yea because your valve cover gaskets are toast. There will probably be a pool down there once you get it all opened up. I found acorns, all sorts of weird stuff in there don't know how it got there lol, but it looks like new now. You going to do your timing belt? Or should I say is it time for it? If so, this will be the time to do it, along with your cam seals and crank shaft seal, water pump the whole 9yards. It's not much more work believe me.
Old 08-11-14, 10:20 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Oh and one more thing, you see that last photo you posted? You see the clip next to the letter G? Make sure you take a heat gun to it before trying to take it off otherwise it's toast. 90% of the time... They get cooked by the engine heat and crumble when trying to unclip em. There's 3
Old 08-11-14, 11:08 PM
Marklopez
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Oh and one more thing, you see that last photo you posted? You see the clip next to the letter G? Make sure you take a heat gun to it before trying to take it off otherwise it's toast. 90% of the time... They get cooked by the engine heat and crumble when trying to unclip em. There's 3
Alright thanks for the heads up. In not sure when it was changed last so of course it will be time. I'm going to look into more DIY's. And I'll find the time next week. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil leak? Please help