GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just ordered some parts/stance questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 12:08 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just ordered some parts/stance questions

Just ordered up Daizen front control arm bushings, steering rack bushings, TRD front and rear sways, and about to order up some Megan EZ coil overs, and the Sage/exact RCA for the rear. What else should i do as far as a suspension revamp>??

A few questions:
Just so you know, Im about 4 fingers from the rim (giggidty) in the front, and 3 fingers from the rim in the back right now on my TEIN CS coil overs. I pretty much want to be right on the rim with the EZ setup and RCA's

Anybody have a hook up on some EZ coil overs?
How about on Sage or Exact RCA's? Are these worth it?
Anybody looking for some TEIN CS coil overs in great condition?

Random question about my stance. I want to widen my stance a bit. Im:

19 x 11 +25 in the rear
19 x 9.5 +22 in the front

At first i was thinking of spacers all around to get me to +5 all around.

or 10mm or 15mm spacers on the front only.T hat would keep it very aggressive and a bit even.

Is this a good idea? I will be rolling and pulling my fenders to match the change so don't worry about that part. i just want to make sure I'm not messing with something that will cost me later. i just want that even wide aggressive look. i can post a pic of how I'm sitting now for reference. I will do that a little later.

THOUGHTS?
Old 08-08-14, 04:16 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, if you plan on running that low I'd invest the extra little bit into a better coilover [than the Megan's] with a higher spring rate.
Old 08-08-14, 04:45 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to bump your spring rate if your going that stanced.

This is from personal experience.
Old 08-08-14, 07:28 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Personally, if you plan on running that low I'd invest the extra little bit into a better coilover [than the Megan's] with a higher spring rate.
I was hoping to get Megan's with a custom spring rate. But it sounds like it's not going to work. Option b was some BCs set to 8k or so. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
You need to bump your spring rate if your going that stanced.

This is from personal experience.
True. What is a good rate for that? 8k/8k?
Old 08-08-14, 08:05 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
I was hoping to get Megan's with a custom spring rate. But it sounds like it's not going to work. Option b was some BCs set to 8k or so. Thoughts?
I believe the spring rates for the Megans are around an 10/8... If you're planning on having next to no clearance between the fender and the rim/tire, I'd run an 18/14, an 18/16 or even higher. I'd also highly recommend the Swift springs if the coilover brand you choose is able to offer them as an upgrade.

For visual reference, these are of my front/rear clearance. I'm running Fortune Auto 500-series with 16/12 Swift springs, if I wasn't going air, I'd send them back to be valved for either an 18/14 or 20/16 and drop the car another quarter to half-inch.

Last edited by NorthStyle; 08-08-14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 10:09 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrHimbert

True. What is a good rate for that? 8k/8k?
that's to low. megan's are 10/8 i believe. im currently on BCs short struts and swift springs with 18/16 to achieve my height.
Old 08-08-14, 11:33 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Whoops had it backwards lol. Any good vendors to work with? I don't have my coilovers hook up anymore :/

With those specs you have, are you running rca's? Or camber kit? Or would that not be worth buying ?
Old 08-09-14, 06:55 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Check out the venders classified on the forum.
All mine is natural camber (stock arms). It really depends on what your going for, so i couldnt say if its worth buying or not.
Old 08-09-14, 11:44 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1UGLYGS
Check out the venders classified on the forum.
All mine is natural camber (stock arms). It really depends on what your going for, so i couldnt say if its worth buying or not.
I definitely like the style you have. As low as yours would be fine, i would just add some spacers to poke and do a nice roll and pull for a wider looking stance.
Old 08-09-14, 03:03 PM
gsbs300
Driver

My comment got deleted??? It was the first comment "pm sent"
Old 08-09-14, 05:14 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsbs300
My comment got deleted??? It was the first comment "pm sent"

Lol really? I didn't see it, and definitely didn't delete it.
Old 08-11-14, 11:28 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's to low. megan's are 10/8 i believe. im currently on BCs short struts and swift springs with 18/16 to achieve my height.
I got Megans EZs with custom spring rate 12f/10r but a higher spring rate with BCs would stiffin up suspension. You can call megan customer service for highter spring rate but that would void your warranty with them. My current spring rate keeps my warranty intact.

Old 08-11-14, 02:17 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
I got Megans EZs with custom spring rate 12f/10r but a higher spring rate with BCs would stiffin up suspension. You can call megan customer service for highter spring rate but that would void your warranty with them. My current spring rate keeps my warranty intact.
spring rate isnt the only factor tho. Your strut needs to be valved to the correct spec for the spring or your struts won't last long. Hence why megan probably doesn't honor the warranty.

From what i recall, you have a little bit of play with the spring rates +/- 2 (not 100% sure), but i would highly recommend getting your struts valved for the correct spring rate.

Last edited by 1UGLYGS; 08-11-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 07:09 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spring rate isnt the only factor tho. Your strut needs to be valved to the correct spec for the spring or your struts won't last long. Hence why megan probably doesn't honor the warranty.

From what i recall, you have a little bit of play with the spring rates +/- 2 (not 100% sure), but i would highly recommend getting your struts valved for the correct spring rate.
that's exactly why I'm still covered. megan racing LP's are 12 kg/mm up front and 8 kg/mm in the rear. Just one up it to 14f 10r if your strapped for cash. You can void your warranty and get the spring rate you want to but I wouldn't reccommend that.
Old 08-11-14, 09:13 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
that's exactly why I'm still covered. megan racing LP's are 12 kg/mm up front and 8 kg/mm in the rear. Just one up it to 14f 10r if your strapped for cash. You can void your warranty and get the spring rate you want to but I wouldn't reccommend that.
If all Megan is doing is swapping the springs without revalving the struts then it's a really half-assed way to sell a product. Not only that, but the ride (although bearable to some) won't be nearly as good as it would had they done it properly. The fact that they're not willing to warranty the coilovers with higher spring rates that they are swapping prior to sending them to you (while BC, Fortune, Stance and PBM all do) should raise flags. Honestly, just save up the extra $3-400 and go with a different company.

Jjust my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Just ordered some parts/stance questions