GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gasoline difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 07:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Gasoline and water does not mix anyways so the idea that gasoline is watered down is nonsense. The additive package in gasoline is a joke when comparing a decent brand of gas to the OMG-the-best-in -the-world gas. You get more benefits by throwing in a bottle of Chevron Techron once in a while. It'll clean your engine far more effectively. In some of my cars, I use to run Chevron/Shell exclusively. When I pulled the injectors out for testing, they all show signs of needing to be cleaned.
Old 08-07-14, 08:11 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

you guys dont know what your talking about. THEY PUT WATER IN GASOLINE AND USE A CHEMICAL TO BIND THE TWO TOGETHER. surfactant is a fusel oil, something like amyl alcohol or pentanol to bind the water with the gasoline. My friend used to own a gas station, TRUST ME, I know the dirty secrets, They either use water or more then the amount of ethanol then they are supposed to, they cut it with SOMETHING always to lower the cost.
Old 08-07-14, 01:29 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Guys please lets stay on topic with this one. We don't need any more explanations on the gas industry.

thanks
Old 08-07-14, 01:53 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

quality of gas is the topic though... I think its good information that everyone should know.
Old 08-07-14, 10:45 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

1) COSTCO =/= COSCO unless it does?

2) Donkey pee costs more than base gas. Heck Evian water costs more than base gas, which leads to:
3) The additives (can be) just as important than base gas.

4) cost does not correspond with quality. If you believe this, check out these video: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=premium+hugs

5) Anyway, costco is now toptier; that may be a mind blower for some of the previous posters who thought it was inferior

Last edited by raytseng; 08-07-14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 05:23 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I dont think its inferioir, Ive never used it BUT based on what the OP was saying it only made sense to assume the gas is of inferior quality. But maybe it was all in his head? OR they could be lying and saying its 93 when its really 89. Ive seen that before plenty of times...
The following users liked this post:
Tierod (07-28-21)
Old 08-08-14, 05:24 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I never even knew costco has gas, is that ALL costcos? I didnt see a gas pump in Costco brooklyn?
Old 08-08-14, 03:44 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright well since there's an open topic on gasoline, I might as well post this here, Issue: I run 91 Gasoline always, I lent my mother my GS300 k, a few times actually, and when she fueled up, she filled it with 89, she returns the car to me with a cell light lol... I asked her simply what had possibly happened, anything I should be aware of? Then I noticed the fuel, so I drove through it, didn't really mean to intentionally, just didn't have time to diagnose the light, fueled up again but with 91, dam light turned off. Same thing happened again! Let her use it, and she fuels up again with the same garbage from arco, light comes on, that's when I thought the whole fuel thing, anyhow sure enough, light turns off when I put 91 back in. I just need to diagnose the code and see what the hell it may have to say. It HAS TO be this fuel, there's no way it's just coinsedence that it just happens to come on when 89 arco donkey **** is put into it. Bizarre huh?
Old 08-08-14, 04:46 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if it trips a knock sensor with lower octane. I always wondered what would happen if i ran the lowest octane. Ive always ran 93. Too chicken to try.
Old 08-08-14, 05:25 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I never even knew costco has gas, is that ALL costcos? I didnt see a gas pump in Costco brooklyn?
It varies, just like tires, foodcourt, pharmacy, optical.
You can go to costco.com and use their "find a warehouse" and they have checkboxes to click the services you want to filter by.
Old 08-08-14, 07:39 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Alright well since there's an open topic on gasoline, I might as well post this here, Issue: I run 91 Gasoline always, I lent my mother my GS300 k, a few times actually, and when she fueled up, she filled it with 89, she returns the car to me with a cell light lol... I asked her simply what had possibly happened, anything I should be aware of? Then I noticed the fuel, so I drove through it, didn't really mean to intentionally, just didn't have time to diagnose the light, fueled up again but with 91, dam light turned off. Same thing happened again! Let her use it, and she fuels up again with the same garbage from arco, light comes on, that's when I thought the whole fuel thing, anyhow sure enough, light turns off when I put 91 back in. I just need to diagnose the code and see what the hell it may have to say. It HAS TO be this fuel, there's no way it's just coinsedence that it just happens to come on when 89 arco donkey **** is put into it. Bizarre huh?
I would tend to agree with you that it must be the gas. Although I have used lower grade octane gas in my 300 with now issues whatsoever.
Old 08-08-14, 08:16 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Yea it's a trip, I even used to run 87 in this one and it never popped a cell, but that was quite some time ago when I didn't really care about my 2jz's hahaha. I'm almost tempted to do a few gallons of 89 again so I can read what the code can possibly be... I'll do it and lol watch I'll record the whole process with my cell phone. Pulling in with no cell light on, then I'll fill gas and record the start up and light come on hahaha you'll trip how it's just really that sensitive... It shouldn't be and that's what's tripping ME out... Haha
Old 08-09-14, 02:24 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RoMiLex
Wonder if it trips a knock sensor with lower octane. I always wondered what would happen if i ran the lowest octane. Ive always ran 93. Too chicken to try.
Car without a doubt pings on 87, I can honestly tell just by starting my car and a few seconds of it running whether it's got 87 or 91 in it the diff. Is so bad.... But 93 huh? Nice, tops we get is 91. But on the subject of Costco gas, hell yea that gas is sewage.. It's probably same as Arco lol.. Just bought in bulk ha... I've got a costco near by that has a gas station, unless I'm traveling far, I honestly just don't use it... But there's also many people that can't tell the difference between say, Arco, and Chevron. Mobil and shell....to me that's just crazy.. But I don't want to start a heated debat so I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-09-14, 06:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
you guys dont know what your talking about. THEY PUT WATER IN GASOLINE AND USE A CHEMICAL TO BIND THE TWO TOGETHER. surfactant is a fusel oil, something like amyl alcohol or pentanol to bind the water with the gasoline. My friend used to own a gas station, TRUST ME, I know the dirty secrets, They either use water or more then the amount of ethanol then they are supposed to, they cut it with SOMETHING always to lower the cost.
I would agree with you 100% on the gas theory but we need to see some proof to be sure this is the case.. I would also agree that there is a reason why Costco/Sams etc have lower gas then anyone around plus they don't advertise until you fill up at the pump and see the price... The Government is no dummy lol, They created cheap gas at a lower price to attract more people = more money in the crooks pockets... There's always a reason behind everything..
Old 08-09-14, 02:42 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Costco gas is on the low end compared to chevron.

Quick Reply: Gasoline difference?