GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gasoline difference?

Old 08-05-14, 05:39 AM
iluxaS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gasoline difference?

Hi everybody,
Here is a story. We always fuel our cars at COSCO gas station, it's the cheapest place and on a way to work. Every time I do it I'm resetting the odometer. So at COSCO I'm getting 22-23 mpg and able to travel about 320 miles constantly before empty. A week ago I was out of gas and had to use some other gas station, Exxon I believe, and guess what, I was able to make 370 miles which is 25 mpg and it was a record since I owned the car. I could not believe it and filled up at BP gas station, and sure enough, traveled 250 miles and still have third of the tank left. I'm driving same road, same style, the car is GS400.
What are your thoughts about it? Do they mix it with a donkey pee(that's old Russian expression)?
Old 08-05-14, 07:10 AM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-05-14, 08:09 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've researched this topic high and low. My conclusion is that it makes no difference. Gas is gas. Some companies use a bit more additives than others but they all use the same base gas. Your results may have been achieved due to the weather, your tires, you eased off a bit on the pedal through certain stretches. But it wasn't the gas. Just my opinion....

Last edited by repugnante; 08-05-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 09:18 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

All gas is not created equal and most will produce different fuel economy results. The problem is that the differences in the results are so marginal as to not be any real consequence. But in general I'm with RomiLex: there were probably other factors in play that gave you the improved mileage.
Old 08-05-14, 09:40 AM
iluxaS
Driver School Candidate

The best result this car gave was 24 mpg when we went from upstate New York to Baltimore through the snow storm, driving 40mpg. And now I get 25 driving mix city/highway. I read a lot of Russian forums and I'm always surprised they get poor mpg. They say don't even compare US gasoline with Russian, they change spark plugs every 30000-60000km, so I'm pretty sure the gasoline will effect not only mpg but how clean your engine is...

Last edited by iluxaS; 08-05-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 11:17 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by repugnante
I've researched this topic high and low. My conclusion is that it makes no difference. Gas is gas. Some companies use a bit more additives than others but they all use the same base gas. Your results may have been achieved due to the weather, your tires, you eased off a bit on the peddle through certain stretches. But it wasn't the gas. Just my opinion....
you can't say gas is gas and then say that some companies use more additives than others.

you have to pick one.

you pay more for the pump for those extra additives.
Old 08-05-14, 11:24 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I dont think there is much difference between brands of gas either. The weather and traffic probably account for your mpg differences based on the short term test. Also a higher amount of alcohol in the gas reduces the energy content and mileage on most cars.

Since the Cosco gas is less expensive but possibly lower mileage, you should look at the gas cost per mile instead of miles per gallon to see which brand is the better overall gas deal. In my area the $0.30/gal higher cost of non-alcohol gas (hard to find) which produces higher mpg in my cars is a wash compared to the cheaper E10 gas with a little lower mpg (same $/mile).
Old 08-05-14, 11:26 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by offbad
you can't say gas is gas and then say that some companies use more additives than others.

you have to pick one.

you pay more for the pump for those extra additives.
Read it again.

I said that they all use the same BASE GAS. All companies use additives, some use more than others. But they all come from a very similar source.

YOU have to pick one. Whether it's Shell, 76, Chevron, etc....however in reference to my post, all of these companies are essentially using the same gas. Which is the base gas. If Shell is selling gas at 4.25 per for 91 on one block, the Mobil across the street is going to sell their 91 at the exact same price. What's the difference? They both cost essentially the same but different supplier. Yes, gas is gas. Nobody can tell you which company who manufactures gas is better than the other. The additives that are added, Techron, V-Power doesn't give one an advantage over the other. Because in the end, offbad, it's all about the dollars. Get it?

Last edited by repugnante; 08-05-14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 01:43 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Read it again.

I said that they all use the same BASE GAS. All companies use additives, some use more than others. But they all come from a very similar source.

YOU have to pick one. Whether it's Shell, 76, Chevron, etc....however in reference to my post, all of these companies are essentially using the same gas. Which is the base gas. If Shell is selling gas at 4.25 per for 91 on one block, the Mobil across the street is going to sell their 91 at the exact same price. What's the difference? They both cost essentially the same but different supplier. Yes, gas is gas. Nobody can tell you which company who manufactures gas is better than the other. The additives that are added, Techron, V-Power doesn't give one an advantage over the other. Because in the end, offbad, it's all about the dollars. Get it?
implying shell is the same price as mobil

implying additives don't give an advantage over another

actually, repugnant, you can buy cheaper/crappier gas and fill up more frequently thus negating your overall savings. because in the end, it's all about the dollars-- get it?
Old 08-05-14, 02:32 PM
iluxaS
Driver School Candidate

Anyway, I caught Costco mixing gasoline with the donkey pee and selling it as 93 octane...
Old 08-05-14, 07:18 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

I wish I had a Cheveron near me. I like the idea of Techron fuel cleaner additive over Shells "nitrogen" enriched fuel. But Shell is one of the better gasolines in my area. If im using synthetic oil, upgrading when replacing parts and trying to do services at or before they are due, then I feel its worth my time to choose a great gasoline with additives that prevent carbon build up. Even if those additives dont amount to better fuel mileage I still feel like my car benefits because it stays cleaner.
Old 08-07-14, 05:50 AM
czr73
Driver

I've researched this topic high and low. My conclusion is that it makes no difference. Gas is gas. Some companies use a bit more additives than others but they all use the same base gas. Your results may have been achieved due to the weather, your tires, you eased off a bit on the pedal through certain stretches. But it wasn't the gas. Just my opinion....

Your research is flawed, the man just said he experienced a 50 mpg difference on more then one occasion on the same roadway.

The culprit is the 10% Methanol (and/or other bio fuels) added to fuel these days at only some gas stations. Its cheaper and therefore the savings are pasted down to the consumer. The burden is the lower mpg you get. You get what you pay for. Quit being cheap and give our beautiful 2GS a quality gasoline. Its also healthier for your engine.

Czr =)

Last edited by czr73; 08-07-14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-07-14, 06:33 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

THE GAS IS WATERED DOWN, DUHHHHHH lol
Old 08-07-14, 06:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

its costco, they had to find a way to give you gas for cheaper so they slightly water it down, causing you to get less MPG, I mean you cant seriously expect COSTCO gas to compare to EXXON who basically owns land in the middle east along with BP. Its like getting oil straight from the source no middle man, costco is middleman gas, sort of like the white powder game lol. If you cut off the middle man the product will be much more pure. All costco does is purchase the gas from one of the "big 3" and add stuff to it or water it down to deliver it at a cheaper price. Get it?
Old 08-07-14, 07:10 AM
RoMiLex
Driver

I hope you dont think they really put water in their gasoline. And there are other ways to lower cost outside messing with the product. Costco gasoline may not have the expensive additives that Mobil, Chevron or Shell adds in but they need something in it. Plus they may use a lower costing gasoline shipping supplier. Or they may be taking a hit on profit to promote savings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gasoline difference?