GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

waz up guys the motor on my steering wheel losing power

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 05:04 PM
chico55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waz up guys the motor on my steering wheel losing power

Waz up lexus owners, I have a 2000 gs 300 crystal white and my steering wheel motor is dieing since motor is running out of power.sometimes wen I turn my car on the steering wheel doesnt move or go down to positon, then later on in the day I hit the side black power button downwards and it move fine...where can I buy the motor to replace it? Is there a DIY thread..at lex auto in miami Fl where I go, guy told me it costs about 250 to 300 to fix.thanks for ur help.
Old 07-30-14, 06:33 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one PM me I can make you a DIY along with it so you can install... Simple really
Old 07-30-14, 06:45 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chico55
Waz up lexus owners, I have a 2000 gs 300 crystal white and my steering wheel motor is dieing since motor is running out of power.sometimes wen I turn my car on the steering wheel doesnt move or go down to positon, then later on in the day I hit the side black power button downwards and it move fine...where can I buy the motor to replace it? Is there a DIY thread..at lex auto in miami Fl where I go, guy told me it costs about 250 to 300 to fix.thanks for ur help.
before you replace anything find out exactly what the problem is. did you look at the worm gear, maybe it just needs to be greased.
Old 07-30-14, 06:48 PM
chico55
Rookie

I havent done nothing yet..but its a bit slow to go down ect ect...they told me the motor on it might b goin bad.sorry but how do I pm u?
Old 07-30-14, 06:50 PM
chico55
Rookie

Btw wats the worm gear?
Old 07-30-14, 06:53 PM
chico55
Rookie

I hope it only needs to b greased...the people at LEX auto in miami Fl specialize in lexus and charge cheaper than stealership for anything..I go there to do most of my work
Old 07-30-14, 07:20 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

you will have to open up the steering column and check to make sure the mechanical parts are clean and that grease has not hardened.
Old 07-31-14, 02:26 AM
Chankeye
Driver

I turned off the self adjusting feature of the steering wheel in the "customize" menu using a techstream to avoid this issue later on down the road. My wheel doesn't tilt up out of the way every time i take the key out now, should help save wear and tear on the electric motor. Once you get this repaired i suggest you do the same, and same to anyone else that still has it functioning. Good luck with your repair!
Old 07-31-14, 06:29 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Guarantee you greasing it will solve nothing.... They go bad, whether you buy and have that place install it, that's your choice, I'm just telling you the fact of the matter. Try greasing her up, but does that sound like a logical explanation to why it ends up working a bit later? Or sometimes? They go out... It's not a big deal and if you DIY it's cheap as hell. But try greasing it for *****s.... Even if it doesn't work, well at least you now know how to do something you didnt before! Right?!
Old 07-31-14, 08:07 AM
chico55
Rookie

Ty for ur helps guys...the steering wheel wen I put give it doesnt go down at all..so I drive that way and then mayb 1 hr later I try to move it down and it works fine then and for a couple of days, and during the day u can c how steering wheel slowly goes up like its running out of power.
Old 07-31-14, 08:10 AM
chico55
Rookie

Like for ex: today in the morning I got in my lex turned it on and steering wheel didnt move at all and I move lef side button on steering wheel and it didnt want to go back down or move..and still til now its stuck and doesnt move..ill try it once again wen I get in car.
Old 07-31-14, 01:41 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Wow that is pretty odd..... Dam... Well if you end up wanting a new motor I've got one I'll sell to you for peanuts. 100% working order, and won't be going out on you either.
Old 07-31-14, 02:06 PM
chico55
Rookie

Yup..its weird and it worked again today..it went down.put yes ty ill let u noe.
Old 08-06-14, 09:30 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

That's just weird as hell.... Hey well if it continues to big you, dude you pay for shipping, put down a down payment, I can just send you the one I have, try it, if it doesn't fix anything, Just send it back I'll return ur cash... If it works, cool, keep it. Just trying to be a nice guy for once bro lol, I don't need the money don't think that... The way things should be around here in the club right? Rather then it being filled with a buncha poodle punk *** young B*****s that just talk *****... Sorry not saying it is, just saying..... Lol.... Yea there's a few, but the ones that aren't are real ****'s and you can tell which ones are by the simple short yet respectable posts they leave. Cheers!
Old 08-07-14, 12:35 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
That's just weird as hell.... Hey well if it continues to big you, dude you pay for shipping, put down a down payment, I can just send you the one I have, try it, if it doesn't fix anything, Just send it back I'll return ur cash... If it works, cool, keep it. Just trying to be a nice guy for once bro lol, I don't need the money don't think that... The way things should be around here in the club right? Rather then it being filled with a buncha poodle punk *** young B*****s that just talk *****... Sorry not saying it is, just saying..... Lol.... Yea there's a few, but the ones that aren't are real ****'s and you can tell which ones are by the simple short yet respectable posts they leave. Cheers!
There you go op. Can't get a better deal than that.

Quick Reply: waz up guys the motor on my steering wheel losing power