GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drift builds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 02:14 PM
YourHero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drift builds?

I was looking into making a luxury drift car and noticed that the Toyota Aristo or Lexus GS300 was used by Max Orido for a stint. I don't know much about Lexus as a whole and was curious if this was still a good drift platform to work off of. I have done some research but I always am looking to opinions of other drivers and enthusiasts. I know that the sc300 is almost always preferred but I don't exactly understand why. Also the is300/Altezza is just a bit out of my price range for a project car.

Is the aftermarket for a 2nd Gen good? I'm assuming it's like all other Toyota's where the parts are plentiful.

Is there anything I should be weary about or look for when buying?

All responses are much appreciated.
Old 07-28-14, 02:29 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course you can put a 2JZ-GTE or an LSx inside the GS, but remember.. The GS is like a whale. It's going to be heavy. There are a couple of memebers on here that slide their GS, do some research!
Old 07-28-14, 02:34 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

What do you even have to do to turn a GS or SC into a drifter, i'm curious...? People must love spending money because dumping so much into a used car is insane, but I guess if your going to be insane, no better old car then a 2GS, at least the 2 most important parts of the car are bulletproof (engine and tranny). Can't say that about any other car on the road really....
Old 07-28-14, 03:45 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DMPesso
What do you even have to do to turn a GS or SC into a drifter, i'm curious...? People must love spending money because dumping so much into a used car is insane, but I guess if your going to be insane, no better old car then a 2GS, at least the 2 most important parts of the car are bulletproof (engine and tranny). Can't say that about any other car on the road really....
Is this real life?
Old 07-28-14, 07:46 PM
YourHero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by armanitran
Of course you can put a 2JZ-GTE or an LSx inside the GS, but remember.. The GS is like a whale. It's going to be heavy. There are a couple of memebers on here that slide their GS, do some research!
Yeah, I was looking through it and it's tough but doable. I might just have to say no to the whole idea. It requires a lot more work than I thought.

Originally Posted by DMPesso
The biggest issue is the suspension in big cars. The engine needs to have power but it's about weight transferring.
Old 07-28-14, 08:05 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so confused...
Old 07-28-14, 10:12 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

you did research? dude look harder, tons of people drift these cars, it all comes down to how much you wanna spend. there is even a drifting section the forum
Old 07-29-14, 01:03 PM
YourHero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
you did research? dude look harder, tons of people drift these cars, it all comes down to how much you wanna spend. there is even a drifting section the forum
I'm sorry, I am looking at multiple cars and this was a question that I didn't find the answers to. It's not as common as you think it is, every thread there is on a drifting GS it's always IS or SC is better banter or just rhetoric. Why do you bother posting if everything is already online you just need to look harder?

As for the drifting section, I felt it was better suited for the car specific forum. I could have the answers filtered to owners/enthusiasts.
Old 07-29-14, 04:22 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YourHero
I'm sorry, I am looking at multiple cars and this was a question that I didn't find the answers to. It's not as common as you think it is, every thread there is on a drifting GS it's always IS or SC is better banter or just rhetoric. Why do you bother posting if everything is already online you just need to look harder?

As for the drifting section, I felt it was better suited for the car specific forum. I could have the answers filtered to owners/enthusiasts.
do you have drifting experience? if not, buy a 240...go beat it up and put it into the tire wall at your local track a few times before you go trying to drift a GS. you can crash that thing all day and not feel it too bad when it comes to your finances....cant exactly find a GS rolling chassis for 300-800 dollars like you can with a 240. .02
Old 07-29-14, 06:15 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
do you have drifting experience? if not, buy a 240...go beat it up and put it into the tire wall at your local track a few times before you go trying to drift a GS. you can crash that thing all day and not feel it too bad when it comes to your finances....cant exactly find a GS rolling chassis for 300-800 dollars like you can with a 240. .02
I was just about to say this... but even an E30 (or E36) BMW, or an NA Miata can be had for pretty cheap nowadays and parts aren't too expensive in the event you wreck.
Old 07-29-14, 07:49 PM
YourHero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I was just about to say this... but even an E30 (or E36) BMW, or an NA Miata can be had for pretty cheap nowadays and parts aren't too expensive in the event you wreck.
Yeah I've looked at those platforms as well. The reason I'm asking about the GS is because I found a killer deal and am contemplating jumping on it.

As for experience yeah, I've got some. I started on an MR2.
Old 07-29-14, 10:55 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

it can be done. just more expensive. Get ready to reinforce everything, and create some power to make up for the added weight as well. Not to mention getting a nice rear end together and no skimping. Suspension is of course a huge deal but again, what will you do for power? you have to boost it, or run v8. The stock 2jz doesn't have enough power to throw this heavy car around. there is a lot that goes into it, but i would focus on suspension first.