GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Code p0420 & p0430

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 06:16 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Wow I'm so mad I can't believe I got ripped off for $700 they had me believing it was the hugest job and the engine has to come out when meanwhile they just tilted it
Old 01-23-15, 08:17 AM
Cossie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a Exhust leak, in most cases at the point where the Cat meets the pipe.

what is happining is the first O2 sensor gets pulses which will be lean to rich, which will be like a wave, once it goes though the Cat it expects the wave to change to a much smaller wave at the other Sensor, if you have a leak this wave does not syc and it give this error.

you will get another code if the O2 sensors are stuffed.

so this means:

It will not be your CAT the only way to kill a CAT with modern engines is to run leaded petrol in them, so it will not be a CAT issue.
The error is not a O2 sensor error.

so go and fix you pipe
Old 04-22-15, 08:45 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

reading though and my pipe did have a leak... $200 to fix that and it's done... now the code is back. WTF. So I bought the EML327 and here is what the Torque app reads.

Old 04-22-15, 11:12 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

O2 1x2 V shows no activity. I would question that sensor.

You should have a reading for 4 O2 sensors, I'm not familiar with EML327 though.
Old 04-22-15, 11:25 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How many oxygen sensors does the gs300 have? you should see voltages for all of them. hit the throttle, then release it and you should see them jumping. if not, i would question those oxygen sensor.
Old 04-24-15, 07:46 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brainsurge
How many oxygen sensors doe310645808220 the gs300 have? you should see voltages for all of them. hit the throttle, then release it and you should see them jumping. if not, i would question those oxygen sensor.
The GS300 have 4 O2 sensors. 2 on the front cat and 2 more on the real cat. Both cat the dealer call Bank. Bank 1 or Cat 1 is the first 3 pistons and the second Bank is the last 3 pistons. Cat 2 or Bank 2.

Bank1 first O2 sensor is Bank 1 Position 1 = B1 P1.

Back 1 Second O2 sensor is Bank 1 Position 2 = B1 P2.

Bank 2 first O2 sensor is Bank 2 Position 1 = B2 P1.

Bank 2 second O2 sensor is B 2 Position 2 = B2 P2.

Check also this item # on eBay 310645808220 and you can get the idea what are you looking. I hope and this help you.
Old 04-24-15, 08:15 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default potential easy fix

I just had high flow PPE headers installed and got the P0430 and P0420. This is most likely due to the new air flow. There are a couple easy fixes for this, as long as your O2 sensors are not bad:

1. Install O2 sensor spacers. They will reduce the amount of emissions the O2 sensor reads. You can get these on amazon for $10, and you can probably get a 1.5" installed. Mechanics won't tell you this because they are bad people.

2. Reset the ECU. Disconnect the batter for at least 30 minutes. This procedure has solved numerous problems on our cars.

3. Run lots of Seafoam through a vacuum line. I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this, but you can clean your Cat by running Seafoam. I would not believe this myself, but I recently ran a whole can through the PCV valve. When I had my headers installed the mechanic said my cats where crystal clean, and looked like new. He thinks that is from the Seafoam. My car is 13 years old and I could see no other explanation.

Try these before getting ripped off by some bad mechanic. First things first, disconnect the battery and see if that solves the problem. -Lex
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-27-21)
Old 04-24-15, 03:35 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I just had high flow PPE headers installed and got the P0430 and P0420. This is most likely due to the new air flow. There are a couple easy fixes for this, as long as your O2 sensors are not bad:

1. Install O2 sensor spacers. They will reduce the amount of emissions the O2 sensor reads. You can get these on amazon for $10, and you can probably get a 1.5" installed. Mechanics won't tell you this because they are bad people.

2. Reset the ECU. Disconnect the batter for at least 30 minutes. This procedure has solved numerous problems on our cars.

3. Run lots of Seafoam through a vacuum line. I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this, but you can clean your Cat by running Seafoam. I would not believe this myself, but I recently ran a whole can through the PCV valve. When I had my headers installed the mechanic said my cats where crystal clean, and looked like new. He thinks that is from the Seafoam. My car is 13 years old and I could see no other explanation.

Try these before getting ripped off by some bad mechanic. First things first, disconnect the battery and see if that solves the problem. -Lex
Can you tell me the part item number on Amazon that cost you $10.00. I see that before on eBay but I can't found it.
Thanks
Old 04-24-15, 04:36 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
Can you tell me the part item number on Amazon that cost you $10.00. I see that before on eBay but I can't found it.
Thanks
Amazon.com: Dorman 42009 Spark Plug Non-Fouler - 18mm Gasket Seat, Pack of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 42009 Spark Plug Non-Fouler - 18mm Gasket Seat, Pack of 2: Automotive
This is what I used.
I drilled out one of the two spacers using a 1/2" bit. Then fitting both spacers, the drilled one on the O2 sensor and installed it ...
P0420 fixed for about $6.00 and 30 minutes.
Old 04-25-15, 05:06 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankT
Amazon.com: Dorman 42009 Spark Plug Non-Fouler - 18mm Gasket Seat, Pack of 2: Automotive
This is what I used.
I drilled out one of the two spacers using a 1/2" bit. Then fitting both spacers, the drilled one on the O2 sensor and installed it ...
P0420 fixed for about $6.00 and 30 minutes.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-15, 02:48 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBrett

thanks for the advice.

idk why my code went away. It was there and now it's not. weird.
Old 04-29-15, 08:19 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Another thing, seem like my car doesn't like the ELM327 much. It cause problem when ELM327 is plug in before the car start. It won't have any problem if plug in AFTER the car start.

So just can't leave it plug in.

Last edited by worker; 04-29-15 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-02-15, 04:04 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Hi again guys,

This is what I found out yesterday in my baby and probably was the rason that causing the codes in my car. So, Please check your air hoses in your intake manifold and NOT on the Throttle Boby. The Throttle boby only have 2 holes on the bottom and are for the cooland system only, not for air.

The clamp cover the crack on the hose and was undetectable so see the crack on the hose. That can given to many codes like P0300 misfire, air leak, p0430 malfuntion on bank 2 cat manifold. Also, p0420 O2 Sensors. So, before buy parts check this hose and another one very close to this one in U form to see if you have any crack or air leak on it. Simple and inexpensive fix. Lest of $10.00

The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-27-21)
Old 05-04-15, 04:24 AM
Spencerfg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default p0420 again

I've had experience with another p0420 recently. This time I think it might be a fuel issue. We had a new gas station open close to us (Murphy Express), so I tried their gas (premium, of course). Shortly after filling up, the check engine light came on. It read p0420 (only). I changed fuel source and the light went out after a while. Then I tried the Murphy gas again. The check engine light came on again. This time I just let it go ran other fuel for a while. Now it's been a couple of months and no check engine light.

I can't be sure of course, but I'm suspicious.
Old 05-04-15, 07:57 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

passed my inspection and this code is still popping on and off. idk what's going on. thinking of just leave it be.

Quick Reply: Code p0420 & p0430