GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Could my throttle body be the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 12:57 AM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are all TPS related codes. I'd dry everything off. Make sure no oil is on anything and see what happens. If the problem persists, get a new TPS.
Old 07-25-14, 04:52 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update
Old 07-27-14, 09:36 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleaned out the connections again and reset everything i could. still the same issues. from what I'm reading it could be the TPS motor. The weird part is that i was moving the TPS around, the voltage values did not change. The idle jumped up high, gave me a code for Intake temps or something. this car is tripping me out. more than likely just going to take it to a garage. Im over guessing.
Old 07-28-14, 05:47 AM
gsbs300
Driver

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
I cleaned out the connections again and reset everything i could. still the same issues. from what I'm reading it could be the TPS motor. The weird part is that i was moving the TPS around, the voltage values did not change. The idle jumped up high, gave me a code for Intake temps or something. this car is tripping me out. more than likely just going to take it to a garage. Im over guessing.

I mean,when you said you have to throw your foot halfway into it to get it to move that sounds exactly like what my car was doing,I ended up reusing the tps but everything else throttle related was replaced.my idle would go all over the place until I got the tps dialed in.on top of everything my fuel pump went at the same time so I was thrown for a loop for 2-3 days(not saying that's your problem just sharing experience)if I where in your scenario and everything was working fine with no problems before you tore it down
I would not be buying any parts.i know you said you've checked checked and rechecked everything,but if it was smooth before then it must be human error.hope you fix it, good luck to your sir
Old 07-28-14, 09:10 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsbs300
I mean,when you said you have to throw your foot halfway into it to get it to move that sounds exactly like what my car was doing,I ended up reusing the tps but everything else throttle related was replaced.my idle would go all over the place until I got the tps dialed in.on top of everything my fuel pump went at the same time so I was thrown for a loop for 2-3 days(not saying that's your problem just sharing experience)if I where in your scenario and everything was working fine with no problems before you tore it down
I would not be buying any parts.i know you said you've checked checked and rechecked everything,but if it was smooth before then it must be human error.hope you fix it, good luck to your sir
Yeah i agree. Im hoping it was like the o2 issue and just a pulled wire somewhere. I, Just going to break it all back down again, and slowly and carefully put everything back together. I will take pics of a couple points that are of interest, but yeah it doesn't make sense that it was working before and now all of a sudden hell. I will update soon. thanks for all the comments. lets see how this goes.
Old 07-28-14, 11:41 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

so having same issue, and I can sympathize with you.. i had taken to dealer last week and had them do a fuel service cleaning out all carbon from throttle body. From recomendations dealer made I took to my mechanic and I had a transmission flush done as the tranny was jerky from first to second, the transmission service seemed to fix that. And then yesterday replaced the battery (sale at Sears). These are things done. in the last week. The throttle body stuff was done over a week ago, and I've driven car a good 300 miles plus since then. Same issue as of today on highway driving 60 and traction light on and beeping shaking a bit from drivers side for about 40 seconds and then back to normal. Then again pulling into the house traction VSC light and beeps. Also no Check Engine Light is on. and seems to be in limp mode where car slows it self down..

Any ideas be appreciated.
Old 07-28-14, 12:06 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
so having same issue, and I can sympathize with you.. i had taken to dealer last week and had them do a fuel service cleaning out all carbon from throttle body. From recomendations dealer made I took to my mechanic and I had a transmission flush done as the tranny was jerky from first to second, the transmission service seemed to fix that. And then yesterday replaced the battery (sale at Sears). These are things done. in the last week. The throttle body stuff was done over a week ago, and I've driven car a good 300 miles plus since then. Same issue as of today on highway driving 60 and traction light on and beeping shaking a bit from drivers side for about 40 seconds and then back to normal. Then again pulling into the house traction VSC light and beeps. Also no Check Engine Light is on. and seems to be in limp mode where car slows it self down..

Any ideas be appreciated.
Sounds pretty damn spot on to the same thing as me. Once i run through everything today i will update this again.

It has to be a loose wire or something. I don't see our cars having these issues and no CEL. Just doesn't make sense. As one of the fellow CL members previously said. Human error is easily overlooked and could be the issue. Its happened plenty of times so I'm praying i Fd something up instead of something failing.
Old 07-28-14, 12:13 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

what's odd is mine has worked fine for a week... now all of a sudden it's doing this.. all of last week it drove perfect infact gave me better gas mileage too.. i appreicate your input.. seems we are having same issue.. these cars drive so great i hate it when issues arise though lol..
Old 07-28-14, 12:15 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
what's odd is mine has worked fine for a week... now all of a sudden it's doing this.. all of last week it drove perfect infact gave me better gas mileage too.. i appreicate your input.. seems we are having same issue.. these cars drive so great i hate it when issues arise though lol..
yeah mine drove fine for a few miles, then all of a sudden out of nowhere this started happening. thats why i think i pulled a wire or pinched one or something. So I'm just starting completely over and pulling the plugs i just put in and everything. Might as well retrace it from the beginning.
Old 07-28-14, 03:35 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

So i double checked everything, again. Even went all the way as to clean the spark plugs, the wires, took off the y-pipe to the intake manifold, throttle body off, cleaned and sprayed everything with electrical cleaner. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary. But i took my time, and re-traced my steps.

Pretty much the same thing is going on. No real reaction to hitting the gas, still in limp mode, With traction control lights lit up.

Only difference between last time and now is that that now when i move the TPS the idle goes up and down. Before it wasn't doing anything.

A couple things i noticed. The intake with the little lid to the filter off is a little loud. ***** if i know.

Secondly, I can hear the TPS motor sort of ringing, constantly.

What trips me out is that again, if anything was failing i would get codes right? not just traction lights for no reason......i was reading a few other threads, and maybe the motor is going bad? when i took the TPS off i was able to move the throttle body butterfly valve. Not sure if that means anything.

Im still blown away by this. no codes. and in full limp mode.
Old 07-28-14, 03:37 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Or there is a short somewhere....has to be.....fml
Old 07-28-14, 05:34 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

went to clean the APP sensor. couldn't get it fully off, so i sprayed some electronic cleaner......now I'm getting a p0122 for that sensor, and the motor revs out to 3.7k-4k and sits there. Im about to install a grenade in this thing.
Old 07-28-14, 06:20 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

You guys wow wow, first off don't just start taking sensors off and random things and start spraying them out... I've gone through this exact same issue A FEW TIMES! And each time was a different issue that brought up the same codes, pointing at the same stuff, when in fact, it wasn't. First off the TPS has to be installed correctly checking it's voltage to calibrate accordingly. But, first off, oil in the plug ports could also be from the plug seals themselves which is very common, but a bit of work to replace. But for the VSC On/VSC/Off light being on, the following could be, were my! Issues. My battery was trash, and turned out my alternator was bad as well, once I changed those both, solved my problem for over a year. Now I don't care if you think your battery is good, or if you just purchased it, because check it out, I had just bought my battery too, and when someone told me I was reluctant to consider, and it ended up being so. These battery's can be shelved for god knows how long, but if put into a car with a garbage alternator, well then that's just a road to success for failure lol. Then a year or so later it came back, I installed a new TPS sensor, issue went away but not for long. It came back, in the end, what ultimately solved my issue was when I tried swapping out my entire throttle body with another I had, everything went away. Before I did so, I replaced the dam motor, I replaced almost everything that could be replaced on the TB it's self. I've got a huge thread on it but I believe it's on lexusownersclub let me take a look.
Old 07-28-14, 06:24 PM
JimBobNC
Driver School Candidate

I recommend a bluetooth scanner that talks to your android device. Google: "elm327 obd2". There are prices under $10 on amazon. It provides real time monitoring and freeze frame data. The app "Torque" is popular for reading the info from the bluetooth scanner.
Old 07-28-14, 06:35 PM
JimBobNC
Driver School Candidate

MH: Another point to consider. I see your car is 1998. I believe the throttle system you describe is similar to mine. (2002) This is a fully electronic fly-by-wire system. The TPS takes position readings from your pedal position. There is a throttle motor that turns the butterfly in the throttle body, as commanded by the ECM. Everything is mounted on top of the engine, so a cable is necessary to the pedal. As a secondary consideration, there is partial movement of the butterfly through the pedal linkage. In case of a flooded (with gasoline) condition, this allows the driver to crank the engine, supplying air with the throttle wide open. In no case should the engine be expected to perform without an operating throttle motor.

Quick Reply: Could my throttle body be the culprit?