GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Farewell Club Lexus.. I've joined BMW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 01:49 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lemme be the immature one by saying it straight forward, BMWs are hot garbage. Like Jordan shoes. Your just paying for the name. Lexus has and will forever be AHEAD OF ANY GERMAN VEHICLE ever made. Case closed. Good luck to anyone switching to BMW. Let us know how high the repairs so we can laugh in pity.

P.S. Good luck with that rock hard leather ☺☺
Old 08-10-14, 02:08 PM
PinkBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new car! Looks good!
Old 08-10-14, 03:59 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Lemme be the immature one by saying it straight forward, BMWs are hot garbage. Like Jordan shoes. Your just paying for the name. Lexus has and will forever be AHEAD OF ANY GERMAN VEHICLE ever made. Case closed. Good luck to anyone switching to BMW. Let us know how high the repairs so we can laugh in pity.

Tell him how you really feel lol
Old 08-11-14, 12:32 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well reliability and maintenance wise yeah, bmw and mercedes make a lot of higher performance cars and nearly always beat out lexus in track comparisons, almost all the reviews on older lexus I've seen they always mention how they don't handle like German cars, but lexus appears to be upping their performance across the lineup last couple years, there's gotta be a reason they always say bmw is the benchmark. I'll stick with lexus though because I'm not rich and could never bring myself to buy a used euro car, I'd be way too afraid of the repairs
Old 08-11-14, 05:33 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dunno, i agree with Ice350, i'd definitely like to add a a BMW to the collection, sure. But i don't think i could just outright replace my GS with one after some horror stories i've heard. To each their own, though.
i still think their exterior is quite appealing (though still not a fan of that color interior).
Old 08-11-14, 09:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol. I"m sure I'm contributing to a big gigantic thread drift since the OP was just letting people know he was moving on.

There's a lot going on at one time with these cars and it happens to all meet up with a 20-something craze about cars from the 90's.

So really it's a ffw nostalgia about a car that signaled performance and Japanese Yakuza bad boy styling and profiling. VIP tray tables, curtains and gigantic wheels slammed to the ground... some of these folks will have different priorities five years from now.

Looking at these cars.... there's a thread about how they should be instant classics and just give it time because they are the ultimate sedan. Other threads reflect disgruntled German car owners who land at a Lexus dealership and of course vice versa.

This one happens to be about a Lexus owner who's heading over to the spinning propeller logo. People don't always think with their bank account.
Old 08-18-14, 11:17 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS

Well reliability and maintenance wise yeah, bmw and mercedes make a lot of higher performance cars and nearly always beat out lexus in track comparisons, almost all the reviews on older lexus I've seen they always mention how they don't handle like German cars, but lexus appears to be upping their performance across the lineup last couple years, there's gotta be a reason they always say bmw is the benchmark. I'll stick with lexus though because I'm not rich and could never bring myself to buy a used euro car, I'd be way too afraid of the repairs
Let's keep it real. Where on the street can you "perform" with these cars? No where. It's speed limit everywhere in US. With that being said, the BMW guys can keep they're high performance problem riddled cars. I'd rather take a slightly "lower performance" that'll LAST 20 YEARS LONGER lol. I'm in a 2001 GS430 and I smoke new and old BMWs, Audis, Benz, SS, etc ALL THE TIME. No mods whatsoever. Just oil change every 3k
Old 08-18-14, 05:26 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You want the ultimate driving machine get a miata with no power steering nothing can beat low curve weight . For daily driving stick to lexus
Old 08-19-14, 05:57 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

Why in the hell would anyone want a piece of garbage Mazda miata over a BMW which is a excellent incomparable to Mazda German engineered vehicle built for PERFORMANCE not reliability. Mazda is a piece of crap any way you look at it and why would anyone want no power steering if they had a piece of crap Mazda!? That car is so light I can fart next to it and it will fly off the road

Originally Posted by sam12345
You want the ultimate driving machine get a miata with no power steering nothing can beat low curve weight . For daily driving stick to lexus
Old 08-19-14, 06:04 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

You may smoke a few 328s/528s and 530s off striaght line but our 430 don't have **** on a bmw 540 or anything actually comparable as far as engine size. And if you were racing them taking turns a bmw will be gone on our 430s with the quickness. Even a 330 would probably smoke a gs430 if many turns were involved. I'm no bmw lover by any means but I drove many cars and not too
Many cars can keep up with bmws when it comes to high speed, turns, and acceleration relative to engine power, they red line like nothing. They're built for power not effortless cruising like a Lexus. You can't really compare the two. And that's why they break down so easily because nobody drives bmws like they do a Lexus. People abuse bmws. But even pampered bmws fall apart way faster then an abused Lexus. That's why we all love Lexus!

Let's keep it real. Where on the street can you "perform" with these cars? No where. It's speed limit everywhere in US. With that being said, the BMW guys can keep they're high performance problem riddled cars. I'd rather take a slightly "lower performance" that'll LAST 20 YEARS LONGER lol. I'm in a 2001 GS430 and I smoke new and old BMWs, Audis, Benz, SS, etc ALL THE TIME. No mods whatsoever. Just oil change every 3k
Old 08-19-14, 09:43 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Overheard here from a BMW service tech: "Never own a BMW out of warranty."

And

Overheard from an independent European repair shop in my town: "BMWs keep me in business."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That said, I would love to be a BMW owner. I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm weak. Afraid.
...or B - M - TROUBLE YOU!!!
Old 08-19-14, 12:17 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lmao ***** that bothers me the most on this forum is people go straight to the racing topic, where the hell are u guys constantly racing and performing these tests at!? U sure as hell don't work for road and track, most of y'all got baby seats in the backseat lol , BMW is inferior to Lexus, I would never in my life get one, I got 3 buddies and a brother who work for Benz/BMW they will tell u they are trash, I will never abandon my 400 for any other car other than a Lexus. Period.
Old 08-19-14, 12:19 PM
Ar1st0
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the BMW, you bought it just when it starts to fall apart. My friend owns same year 5 series and pays a minimum of 1,000 on repairs every 3 months or so.
Old 08-19-14, 12:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

OK folks, let's draw this thread to a close since it's strayed far away from wishing Sonny well with his new ride.