GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

performance on gs400

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 07:41 AM
nick02895
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance on gs400

Ive had my gs a few years and am ready to start upgrading have 4k to spend but have suchnanhard time finding parts and knowing whats best with what any pointers looking to start with the basics lookingnforna true dual exhaust if possible not worried about emessions just looking to do it right figuer k&n cold air intake but if have any other suggestions on intake my main question is really about computer systems and which would be the best for my moneys worth. Any general performance experience and advice is needed also had a question about getting a posi rear end ive heard supra tt but dont know if its only compatible with the gs300 any specifics on how to get posi . Thanks gs brothers

Last edited by nick02895; 07-20-14 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 07:58 AM
russellg
Driver School Candidate

10K to spend? I say upgrade to a newer car!
Old 07-16-14, 08:46 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure why you are having such a hard time finding parts for this car. The aftermarket is flooded with stuff for the GS.

But l am inclined to agree with russell. 10k to spend? Why not buy a newer car with less issues?? You could even sell your GS and put that on top of the 10k you already got and get something even better. Or keep both cars. I simply wouldn't dump 10 grand on a 14+ year old car. But that's just me.
Old 07-16-14, 11:11 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ieds-98-05-35/

2nd gen classifieds would be a good place to start.
Old 07-16-14, 02:24 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, there isn't a lot performance-wise available for the GS400/430s. For intakes you have the K&N and SRT (there may be more available, but those are the first that pop into my head), PPE makes headers, Magnaflow makes a Y-pipe, and beyond that most of the exhausts perform the same outside of looks and sound.

If you really have $10K to blow, instead of investing in bolt-ons your money would be better spent searching out a supercharger kit (if you want to keep the V8) or just going with a 2JZ swap. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-16-14, 06:46 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V8 sucks, with SRT intake+ecu, and ppe headers, it's enjoyable, but if you want real power just GTE it or get a different car

Edit, big heavy VIP style wheels+tires are not helping either on these weak *** V8s

Kind of can't wait till mine breaks but I do enjoy the V8 sounds in the meantime. Plus you can flex on car noobs it really seems to impress them lol

Last edited by Ava92; 07-16-14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 04:14 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ava92
V8 sucks, with SRT intake+ecu, and ppe headers, it's enjoyable, but if you want real power just GTE it or get a different car

Edit, big heavy VIP style wheels+tires are not helping either on these weak *** V8s

Kind of can't wait till mine breaks but I do enjoy the V8 sounds in the meantime. Plus you can flex on car noobs it really seems to impress them lol
You say weak *** V8s but I differ. Stock GS4 versus a GS3 with a bone stock GTE isn't a complete night and day difference. Here's my thought process. A '96 bone stock Supra TT will run the 1/4 mile in 13.2/13.3. Now, swap that into a much heavier GS with a much sloppier auto transmission and you'll probably run 13.6 in the 1/4 mile versus a 14.1 for a stock GS4. Still quicker but not complete night and day to claim weak *** V8s. I agree that once that GTE swap is done its a lot cheaper to make a lot more power but one can still throw FI on GS4 also...although probably at twice the cost but it will still be a powerful car.

Oh, btw my previous setup with I/H/E/Neo/high stall TC/Supra 3.73 LSD allowed me to get neck and neck on a few occasions with 13.3 1/4 mile rated cars such as Charger SRT8 & 300 SRT8 cars; heavy cars but both came with over 400hp from the factory. The proper bolt-ons wake up the GS4 and help put that power down to the ground.

There are pros and cons to every setup. Also, keep in mind that if both cars are FI'd (GS4 and GS3) the GS4 will be able to build boost quicker and have the torque available much sooner due to the larger engine displacement - if cars are at the same power levels. A while back I ran a Dodge Neon SRT-4 with my previous setup (later found he had over 400whp in that tiny car) and up to 70-80mph I was ahead from a dig. He had at least 140whp more than me but yet with my mods (especially the high stall TC) I was able to kill him off the line and by a good margin through 60mph due to my torque coming on sooner even though he was making more than me. Sure, after 80mph he blew right by me but this is a night and day power difference especially since it's a much smaller, lighter car.

There are members on this forum that have 2JZ swapped cars with 460/470whp and are just dipping into high 12 second 1/4 mile times. I know that an SCd GS4 with 400 - 450whp will do similar; such as Speedaddic or RMMGS4s car.

Just supporting my opinion that the V8s aren't weak...it's all relative. All options are great but yes, the swap is the cheapest bang for the buck. I thought about a swap at one time but then I thought I already have a V8 and want a rare enough setup so when I bring my car to shows and such it really turns heads. I kept my engine and decided to supercharge it; a more expensive route and less room to grow versus a turbo setup but it's much more rare than a swap - not everything is about racing here.

Lucky if there's currently 50 supercharged V8 GS4s in the entire country. GL to the op.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 07-17-14 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-17-14, 12:44 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
You say weak *** V8s but I differ. Stock GS4 versus a GS3 with a bone stock GTE isn't a complete night and day difference. Here's my thought process. A '96 bone stock Supra TT will run the 1/4 mile in 13.2/13.3. Now, swap that into a much heavier GS with a much sloppier auto transmission and you'll probably run 13.6 in the 1/4 mile versus a 14.1 for a stock GS4. Still quicker but not complete night and day to claim weak *** V8s. I agree that once that GTE swap is done its a lot cheaper to make a lot more power but one can still throw FI on GS4 also...although probably at twice the cost but it will still be a powerful car.

Oh, btw my previous setup with I/H/E/Neo/high stall TC/Supra 3.73 LSD allowed me to get neck and neck on a few occasions with 13.3 1/4 mile rated cars such as Charger SRT8 & 300 SRT8 cars; heavy cars but both came with over 400hp from the factory. The proper bolt-ons wake up the GS4 and help put that power down to the ground.

There are pros and cons to every setup. Also, keep in mind that if both cars are FI'd (GS4 and GS3) the GS4 will be able to build boost quicker and have the torque available much sooner due to the larger engine displacement - if cars are at the same power levels. A while back I ran a Dodge Neon SRT-4 with my previous setup (later found he had over 400whp in that tiny car) and up to 70-80mph I was ahead from a dig. He had at least 140whp more than me but yet with my mods (especially the high stall TC) I was able to kill him off the line and by a good margin through 60mph due to my torque coming on sooner even though he was making more than me. Sure, after 80mph he blew right by me but this is a night and day power difference especially since it's a much smaller, lighter car.

There are members on this forum that have 2JZ swapped cars with 460/470whp and are just dipping into high 12 second 1/4 mile times. I know that an SCd GS4 with 400 - 450whp will do similar; such as Speedaddic or RMMGS4s car.

Just supporting my opinion that the V8s aren't weak...it's all relative. All options are great but yes, the swap is the cheapest bang for the buck. I thought about a swap at one time but then I thought I already have a V8 and want a rare enough setup so when I bring my car to shows and such it really turns heads. I kept my engine and decided to supercharge it; a more expensive route and less room to grow versus a turbo setup but it's much more rare than a swap - not everything is about racing here.

Lucky if there's currently 50 supercharged V8 GS4s in the entire country. GL to the op.
My thoughts exactly. Check out TTurboPimp 1UZFE TT build. He was making 569rwhp with his TH400, which he said to rob roughly 30% on the dyno. I love my 1UZ-FE and I wouldn't call it a "weak *** V8" either.
Old 07-17-14, 07:03 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Sure with enough money you can make any engine fast. I'm not hating on anyone who chooses to stick with the V8 but I think we can all agree the $/HP ratio is a lot better on a GTE.

That doesn't mean I can't appreciate all the nice V8 builds out there, just giving my perspective.

Here people can buy a JDM aristo for $6-7k and the GTE swaps themselves are probably cheaper than they are in the US too. So it's partly a regional thing
Old 07-17-14, 09:28 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I had 10k to blow on my GS, I would probably be one of few to buy this!

https://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=169
Old 07-17-14, 09:47 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by russellg
This ^^^^ you will regret blowing 10k on your car especially if your first thoughts are an exhaust and intake. 10k to blow is more like custom 3 piece setup, bbk, body work, kit, paint or all on a swap and tune plus more cash for the surprises.

You might get taken for an expensive lesson and then when you sell it later you'll have a hard time being okay with the result of that.

Upgrade with money left in savings, save it all, or just buy your intake and exhaust and save the other 9k. Don't blow it all bro. You'll go broke trying to keep up with some of these builds. Just do a lil at a time.

.......... but if your are all in on spending it I'd recommend spending time in the build threads and learning from those who have gone there. Pick their brains and it'll save you money and stress.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 07-17-14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 06:28 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

4 words: Day Trading Penny Stocks.
Old 07-18-14, 06:38 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the "Weak *** v8" comment.
Old 07-20-14, 11:01 AM
nick02895
Driver School Candidate

I know I woudnt spend 10k unti, getting deep inti the motor just been looking into build threads and ways of building the car up before getting supercharged such as cam injectors and internals just looking to do it right and result in a 400hp car obviously bave to start somewhere like exhaust I can only find a obx rscing header and was thinking of running strsigh pipes or borlas just accumulating parts and then doing build and see where it takes me
Old 07-20-14, 11:26 AM
nick02895
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by russellg
This is what I get on a gs forum??

Quick Reply: performance on gs400