GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some proper pics of my rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 07:35 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the compliments fellas. I will work on getting some video up soon.

As far as the old 1UZ TT set up, my main issue that I was always trying to perfect was the transmission. I went through so many set ups, none of which 100% satisfied me. Two built stock tranny's, a built TH400, another built TH400 with Geear Vendor OD unit, then the V160 mated up with a clutch that sucked ***. Then the V160 with a custom flywheel and clutch that was more streetable but couldnt hold the power. The F'n money I spent on tranny set ups is rediculous.......thus the trying to mate parts up where they dont necessarily belong. They all worked, just not how I wanted them to.

This time around.....none of that ****.....bolt it up and roll! The only thing I need to worry about now is a streetable clutch that can handle the power, which so far I have. I cant really explain it, the car just feels right now. By the way, this is the non VVTI 2JZ that some folks say is a PITA to mate up electronically....I have no issues with it, but Im also running a stand alone obviously.
Old 07-17-14, 07:44 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

By the way, when I said the pics dont do the engine shots justice, there are some detials that dont jump out at you unless you are standing there looking at it for a minute. FREED does some nice fabrication and their welds are a thing of beauty.....yes, welds are a form of art work to me! lol

The intake manifold is custom made by them, the power steering res is custom made by them, the catch can and stock ECU box up where the battery used to be was custom made by them, etc, etc.....nice little touches that they take the time to do. My old set up had the ECU just thrown up there with some damn velcro. I had valve covers and most of the piping ceramic coated, most of it in the chrome- ceramic. You never have to polish that **** like you do an actual polished pipe. I was going for simple, clean, with a touch of bling that is easy to maintain and keep up. There are still a few items i need to keep polished, but minimal.
Old 07-17-14, 08:53 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show AND lots of go. Very nicely done! Would definitely love to see some vids of this.
Old 07-17-14, 02:14 PM
HANS0L0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chankeye
E85 actually burns slower and colder...thats why you can run more boost and timing with e85 when compared to unleaded gasoline. Unfortunately you have to run almost twice the amount of E85 to get the proper AFR's, hence why you go through a tank faster.

To the OP, your car looks great. Would love to see some video to hear that sweet engine.
Ah... I had it reversed. Thanks for the friendly correction.
Old 07-17-14, 02:18 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so nice Jeff
Old 07-17-14, 02:47 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

so nice Jeff
thanks bro, your car has always been one of my favorites, so I appreciate the compliment

Im still trying to figure out if I dig the carbon fiber or not, otherwise Im happy with how it came out, at least for now!
Old 01-09-15, 12:49 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So how is this beast holding up ? What's it looking like now, I seen you sold the wheels. ( don't know why )
Old 01-09-15, 01:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
So how is this beast holding up ? What's it looking like now, I seen you sold the wheels. ( don't know why )
Yes inquiring minds want to know...
Old 01-09-15, 04:50 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

she's holding up great.....running strong as hell with zero issues. As far as the wheels go, I have no idea why I did that, and i'm having sellers remorse already. The messed up part is I had put my Trafficstars and HRE's up for sale.....kinda thinking I would let the set go that sold first and keep the other. The guy who came to look at them bought both sets....now my **** is sitting on jack stands!

So yeah, didnt quite work out like I had planned....its all good though, i have something lined up. I wanted to go down to 19's anyhow, more options for sticky tires and a little more sidewall for grip. I will miss those HRE's though.

Thanks to that deal, I did go out today and pick up some wheels for my LS460 I just bought. Im changing focus for a minute and hooking that one up. Wheels, suspension, lip kit, exhaust......etc...etc.

GS is running like a beast though.......
Old 01-09-15, 06:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

yea I really liked the HRE's. they flowed really well with the GS
Old 01-10-15, 06:23 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

yeah I know.....part of it was I had them for a long time......needed a change. I always need a change with the GS just to keep my damn interest. Ive owned this car 10x longer than any other car ive ever had before. I think ive had like 10 other cars during the ownership of the GS. Gotta keep my self interested......
Old 01-10-15, 08:47 PM
lildorsey1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump

Do anyone knows if its possible to just Change water pump without removing harmonic balancer and pulley??
Old 01-10-15, 10:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

AWESOME !!!
Great to see 2GS still going strong........
Old 02-10-15, 09:37 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Just checking by to see if you posted pics with the 19's yet :-)
Old 02-10-15, 05:07 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
Just checking by to see if you posted pics with the 19's yet :-)
Not yet, gotta get her out of the garage and cleaned off a bit....wasn't happening today with the ice. I did manage to start the car and let it run a bit....first time in a month

Quick Reply: Some proper pics of my rebuild