GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Iphone/AUX install on GS300 - GROM review & tips & tricks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 03:16 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iphone/AUX install on GS300 - GROM review & tips & tricks

Just installed the GROM unit on Saturday. It took me a few hours because I really wanted to take my time and do it correctly. I'm 9.5/10 happy with the purchase.

The handsfree bluetooth calling feature is really nice and the sound quality is EXCELLENT. I mounted my mic right where the rearview mirror is attached to the windshield.

The Bluetooth connects very quickly when I start the car. UNLIKE the Pioneer BT on my other car.

Some tips:

I routed the wires into the center armrest. I just removed the 12V cigarette outlet and used the hole as my access point. No need to drill into anything. I wouldn't need the 12V outlet in there anymore since I now have a 5V USB from the GROM unit as well as the AUX & IPOD connection there. So theoretically I can plug in my Iphone 5S and have direct connection + charging, and use the spare USB to charge another device at the same time.

The mic wire routing was pretty easy, I didn't have to remove the headliner, I just kind of pulled back the headliner with my fingers and stuffed the wire up in there. Hasn't come out and I doubt it ever will.

You MUST disconnect the CD changer from the back of the CD changer. The GROM unit Y's into the harness. I didn't think i had to but if you don't disconnect the CD changer you will get a CD error message on your dash. Once I unplugged the CD changer from behind, the error went way.

My gripes that prevent me from giving it a 10/10. Although I would buy this again in a heartbeat for my other cars if I needed it.

-there's a pop when it's switches to streaming audio. For GROM to correct this they would have to have a 1 sec mute on the unit before it switches over. If you remember the days of installing amps on a car, most manufacturers of head units started doing this, I'm sure its standard nowadays.

-there is some engine noise (ground loop) if the volume is way up (I listen to my music loud) and audio is still playing. The alternator whine ONLY happens when I really gas the car to redline.

My car is a 2003 GS300 with factory Navigation and Mark Levinson. My phone is an Iphone 5S.

Hope this review is helpful to anyone thinking about the purchase.
Old 07-15-14, 01:56 AM
Chankeye
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have any pictures of your install and the GROM unit?
Old 07-15-14, 02:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I inquired about this on ebay for the 400 and the seller wasn't sure.. Would be a great thing to have..
Old 07-15-14, 11:35 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

This is very interesting to me, could you post pics of it?
Old 07-15-14, 01:33 PM
shift2win
Rookie

Nope, no GS400 love, only 2001-2012 year models are supported unfortunately.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Old 07-15-14, 01:34 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

where are the pics??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-14, 09:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I have this in my GS300, and i love it, by far the best thing I spent on the car. The good thing is though you can't even tell its there besides the little microphone. Definitely worth it
Old 07-16-14, 05:31 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Pics of what? You can't see anything! LOL.

The only thing visible is the mic, which I mounted up on the front windshield. I'll see if I can post that when I get a chance.
Old 07-16-14, 05:38 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Update: My streaming bluetooth audio & calling works 100% fine. I bought a 30pin to Lighting adapter so I could physically plug in my Iphone 5S into the GROM unit.

It DOES charge the phone, but that's it. I'll have to get a call into their tech support to see what the deal is. I'll update this post once I find out. Or hopefully someone has info on what I'm possibly doing wrong.

I don't have any old non-lighting Apple products to test it to see if it's my 30pin to 8pin adapter that won't play nice, or if its the GROM unit.

In either case, I'm still happy, but I'd like to be able to use the GROM iphone 30pin cable to get a direct connection.
Old 07-17-14, 05:17 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Anyone here with the GROM unit having trouble when plugging their Iphone directly into the unit? I purchased an OEM Apple lighting to 30pin adapter cable today (from the Apple store), and I do have direct connection audio now. But now that has created another problem.

When a call comes in and switches to the Bluetooth for the phone call, it will NOT switch back to the music playback correctly. The GROM unit will continue to beep until I hit the "FM" button on the dash, then go back to "DISC". SUPER ANNOYING!!!!

Also, the ground loop/engine noise is still there when playing through Bluetooth audio or the direct connection. There ground look/engine noise is NOT present when playing FM radio, so the source is the GROM unit.

02SDGS care to chime in on your unit? What unit you have, what kind of phone, etc. Does your GS have OEM Nav?
Old 07-17-14, 06:17 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Ok, figured out the direct connection issue. The direction connection to your Apple device is really for IPOD only! Yes, it will work on your Iphone, but there is the issue with the Bluetooth calling and audio streaming switching.

So a note to you guys if you have an Iphone ONLY, and no Ipod, just use it as a Bluetooth streaming only. You can NOT have direct connection AND bluetooth calling. No need to buy the Ipod cable.

If you have an Iphone & Ipod, then yes. Direct connection to the Ipod, and BT handsfree to your Iphone.

This is not a dig at the GROM unit, it is an excellent unit and does exactly what it is supposed to do. I'm just finding out some of its design limitations.

I still stand by the original review, and call this an excellent buy.

Happy motoring.... next mod.... Lexus G-Spider wheels! OEM wheels, non staggered so I can rotate, and I am going to plus size the tires slightly to get a lower cruising RPM for slightly better mileage. Taller gearing = slightly worse acceleration, but should get me better fuel economy.
Old 07-23-14, 09:12 PM
natrar11
Driver School Candidate

Hello i'm a long time viewer of this awesome site but decided to register today. I just purchased the grom unit also. Do you hook it up to the cable behind the radio or behind the cd changer. When i hooked it up behind the radio the cd was still playing. I need some help thanks. Your the reason i bought the grom.
Old 07-23-14, 09:21 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I installed it behind the radio. You have to disconnect your CD changer from what I remember
Old 07-23-14, 09:29 PM
natrar11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I didn't disconnect the cd changer. I will try that tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-28-14, 01:58 AM
GS300OC
Rookie

As stated in my post, you MUST disconnect the cd changer. Disassemble the glove box area and unplug the cd changer from behind.

Quick Reply: Iphone/AUX install on GS300 - GROM review & tips & tricks