GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone remove there exhaust manifold

Old 07-13-14, 08:30 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone remove there exhaust manifold

Having issues with my O2? I was replacing it then i run into more issues.. anyone have remove their exhaust manifold without running into more issues? is it easy to remove? ..
Old 07-13-14, 09:54 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've removed mine in 20 mins. It's not hard if you have all the right tools such as an O2 sensor socket and power tools.
Old 07-14-14, 07:36 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Your exhaust manifold? Very simple.. I don't think you need anything more than a 14mm deep socket, maybe an extention, small one for ease, and maybe a 10 or 12mm wrench.. Actually,
The picture to the right corresponds with the first set of instructions on it's left and goes down.. Prob. Don't have to mention that but so your not confused. Here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone remove there exhaust manifold-image.jpg  
Old 07-14-14, 07:38 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

One more..
Old 07-14-14, 07:41 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

And your done. Sorry not sure why Mobil version only uploads one photo at a time it's really a pain in the a**... anyhow... Good luck
Old 07-14-14, 12:38 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys by his sig I think he has a 4.3.

These are a wee bit trickier than the I6. I would hope you can fix what ever it is with the O2 before having to remove one or both headers.
Old 07-14-14, 12:41 PM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Which Oxygen Sensors are making Problems and what Codes? Did you read the live-data of the sensors via obd?
Old 07-14-14, 11:52 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

you are correct.. 02 GS430
Originally Posted by GSJake
Guys by his sig I think he has a 4.3.

These are a wee bit trickier than the I6. I would hope you can fix what ever it is with the O2 before having to remove one or both headers.
already got the O2 Sensor out.. but the previous mechanic i think he welded the O2 sensor.. i had a hard time removing it.. but when i was trying to install the new O2 sensor it left some residue on thread

Originally Posted by VIP161
I've removed mine in 20 mins. It's not hard if you have all the right tools such as an O2 sensor socket and power tools.

thank you for the info.. I just want to make sure i don't have to remove my engine holder and have to lift up my engine a few inches just to get out the exhaust manifold.. I have seen reposes on other thread that you need to unbolt the engine support
Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Your exhaust manifold? Very simple.. I don't think you need anything more than a 14mm deep socket, maybe an extention, small one for ease, and maybe a 10 or 12mm wrench.. Actually,
The picture to the right corresponds with the first set of instructions on it's left and goes down.. Prob. Don't have to mention that but so your not confused. Here ya go:
thank you for the diagram
And your done. Sorry not sure why Mobil version only uploads one photo at a time it's really a pain in the a**... anyhow... Good luck
Bank 1 Sensor 2.. read the code but do not remember them..
Originally Posted by brainsurge
Which Oxygen Sensors are making Problems and what Codes? Did you read the live-data of the sensors via obd?
Old 07-15-14, 01:10 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure you don't have to remove your exhaust manifold, If your concern is you can't install the new 02 sensor because the thread is damaged. All you have to do is buy a rethreader and clean out the threads. Trust me I doubt the previous owner welded the old 02 sensor on.
Old 07-15-14, 12:33 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

im probably the best person to answer this question as i just replaced my entire exhaust manifold on my 01 430 because it was cracked and leaking air making an annoying farting sound. Before that I changed my O2s and NO you do NOT need to remove the manifold to change them. Everything is easily accessible from below the car and the rears i believe you need to remove the floor liner. You ONLY need to remove the manifold is your changing the manifold gaskets NOT for O2 sensors. And to do that you need to tilt the engine out of the car its not that big of a job but its pretty annoying. Last but not least you MUST MUST MUST use OEM O2 sensors no matter what the price is. Find out which Denso part number it is and order them from amazon. All lexus does is sell you the same one Denso sells with their name on it for double the price. with OEM O2s you are guaranteed to have no more issues...
Old 07-15-14, 01:57 PM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get some Denso Sensors on ebay, the #2 Sensors are quite easy. Had mine changed a couple of months ago on my 01 gs 430. you don't need to remove the floor liner, just pull it back from the front until you feel the cable, then find the plug near the middle and the clamp on the floor.
For your thread problem, its propably just a worn thread, get a rethreader.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-tools-12230-Oxygen-Sensor-Thread-Chaser-/281359314625?hash=item4182526ec1&item=281359314625&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtrHowever, make sure your y-pipe is in a good condition, mine was completely corroded.
Old 07-15-14, 09:00 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Oh man my bad, dammit and I took all the time to finding that on ALLDATA, sniping, and posting for it to not even be the same car... Lol! Let me see about the 430,...... ...... dam I want a 430! Must be so sick!
Old 07-15-14, 09:14 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man my bad, dammit and I took all the time to finding that on ALLDATA, sniping, and posting for it to not even be the same car... Lol! Let me see about the 430,...... ...... dam I want a 430! Must be so sick!
Until you realize how difficult putting headers on this thing are... Makes me miss my S14 when I have to work on the GS...
Old 07-15-14, 09:17 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Here's a technicians note: Bank 2 sensor 1, 2 HINT:
-Before installing oxygen sensor, twist sensor wire COUNTER clockwise 3 and a half turns.
- After installing oxygen sensor, check that sensor wire is NOT twisted. If it is twisted, must remove the sensor and reinstall it.

Don't know if that applys to you but maybe it's twisted hence why it's still bringing up the code? Hence why they put this Technicians side note?
Old 07-15-14, 09:28 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Maybe this is more appropriate for your application huh? Hahaha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone remove there exhaust manifold