GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 Lexus gs430 charcoal evap fuel vapor canister??

Old 07-12-14, 12:38 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2001 Lexus gs430 charcoal evap fuel vapor canister??

Hey guys,

My name isJohn. Im actually 1 day new to the forum.
I was wondering about a couple of things?

The replacemenet OEM part # for a charcoal canister for a 2001 Lexus GS430 is
OEM#77740-30273. My first question, anybody know where I can get my hands on a new charcoal canister for the cheapest amount of money possible seeing my car has 110,000 miles. The dealer is asking like $800, and the cheapest I found it was on ebay for about $550. Is there any possibility I can get it cheaper than the $550. Just cause, it is so NOT worth that amount of money.

Second question, if I was to replace the fuel vapor solenoid would that have any effect just cause I need to get an inspection sticker by the end of August.

From what I have read on About.com,, they would say remove the canister, disconnect the vacuum hoses and then re-install it. That would get rid of that check engine light?...Anybody know how true that is?...would it work?....or would a solenoid replacemenet just fix the problem.

I honestly don't want to shell out a BIG $550 for a fuel vapor canister. Its so not worth it man

Thanks guys,
have a great weekend!

John S
Boston, MA
Old 07-12-14, 02:53 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I would

Just check your evap lines, I have a 2001 lexus gs430 also. I was told by 2 mechanics that I needed a new canister as well, I did some investigating in my engine bay and the evap lines right next to the leak tester( I think that's what it's called) came loose from it being really old plastic. I can't help to much with where, and what places have the best price for the canister but if your just going by the check engine light codes and it says canister I would look into loose evap lines and maybe even have a leak test done to see where it could be leaking. If its only leaking from the front chances are you have a loose/cracked hose. you dont want that 550$ canister to turn into 800-900$ repair after labor. So check the lines befor you go spending that much if you haven't already, I replaced my hose after I saw it had popped off, and my check engine light went away. It popped off again and it took less then 10 miles for the check engine light to come back on. I clamped it down this time and it has not came back on for almost 1 year now
Old 07-12-14, 07:32 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...30273&_sacat=0
Old 07-12-14, 10:03 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Just check your evap lines, I have a 2001 lexus gs430 also. I was told by 2 mechanics that I needed a new canister as well, I did some investigating in my engine bay and the evap lines right next to the leak tester( I think that's what it's called) came loose from it being really old plastic. I can't help to much with where, and what places have the best price for the canister but if your just going by the check engine light codes and it says canister I would look into loose evap lines and maybe even have a leak test done to see where it could be leaking. If its only leaking from the front chances are you have a loose/cracked hose. you dont want that 550$ canister to turn into 800-900$ repair after labor. So check the lines befor you go spending that much if you haven't already, I replaced my hose after I saw it had popped off, and my check engine light went away. It popped off again and it took less then 10 miles for the check engine light to come back on. I clamped it down this time and it has not came back on for almost 1 year now
same here. i had the code that says the canister. it turned out to be the evap tube. it was old and brittle and snapped. 20 bucks at the dealer and the code was gone.
Old 07-12-14, 11:50 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a GS300. The same may or may not be true for a 430, but frequently the solenoid on the canister on these cars go bad and the canister doesn't have to be replaced. I would at least try that before I bought a canister since it's one-tenth the price. But first, like everybody else has said, I'd look for a loose vacuum line.
Old 07-14-14, 02:30 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by gsean400
Thanks so much!, Ill be looking into that, from what I gather it could either be a bad solenoid based on what you guys have said or bad evap lines. Thanks so much you guys...YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST man

Take care!

John S
Old 07-14-14, 02:31 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
I have a GS300. The same may or may not be true for a 430, but frequently the solenoid on the canister on these cars go bad and the canister doesn't have to be replaced. I would at least try that before I bought a canister since it's one-tenth the price. But first, like everybody else has said, I'd look for a loose vacuum line.
Thanks so much!, Ill be looking into that, from what I gather it could either be a bad solenoid based on what you guys have said or bad evap lines. Thanks so much you guys...YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST man

Take care!

John S
Old 07-14-14, 02:32 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Take care!

John S
Old 07-14-14, 02:33 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much!,

You guys are so helpful man
Appreciate it you guys
God Bless!

John S
Old 07-14-14, 02:55 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

any chance you may the OEM part # for a fuel vapor solenoid for a 2001 LEXUS GS430. THE OEM # for the charcoal canister is 77740-30273. If you wouldn't happen to know, any way I could figure it out? Any info would be help, cause I don't mind at all doing the research

Thanks,

John S
Old 07-14-14, 02:58 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

Just out of curiosity,this goes for everyone. If I happens to be those bad evap hose lines which Im hoping they are. How do I find replacement evap hose lines?
Will any hose line/tubing do or does it have to be a specific type? , in other words would the dealer have them available if I was to ask for replacement evap hose lines?

Thanks guys,
John S
Old 07-14-14, 03:00 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

Just out of curiosity,this goes for everyone. If I happens to be those bad evap hose lines which Im hoping they are. How do I find replacement evap hose lines?
Will any hose line/tubing do or does it have to be a specific type? , in other words would the dealer have them available if I was to ask for replacement evap hose lines?

Thanks guys,
John S
Old 07-14-14, 03:03 PM
johnsilly
Driver School Candidate

If it happens to be bad evap hose lines, in terms of replacement evap hoses, will any type of hosing/tubing do or do you need to go to the dealer and buy a specific set of evap hose lines pertaining to the canister (OEM #77740-30273)

Thanks again,
John S
Old 07-14-14, 07:39 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is on of the evap lines, I'd just take it to any auto parts store i.e. Autozone, O'reilly, Pep Boys, and get a replacement.There is really nothing special about them (that I am aware of).
Old 07-14-14, 07:47 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

My $0.02:

I use 6mm thick wall Si vacuum tubing in cool blue color from local shop if its the same size. It used to be ~$1/foot. But...any NEW hose will probably last many years IMO.

BUT...for 99 RX300, local dealer told me VSV (AKA solenoid), was NOT available separately. So....mail ordered it from part number from Lexus of Roseville IIRC. Still not cheap....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Lexus gs430 charcoal evap fuel vapor canister??