GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

just picked up a completely stock 98 gs400, 87k, should I upgrade the suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 09:53 PM
justdance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just picked up a completely stock 98 gs400, 87k, should I upgrade the suspension?

planning on putting some reasonably sized larger rims on their, and upgrading the brakes. nothing fantastic, just make it look a little better and stop a little better over stock.

my question is, I have NO desire to attempt to turn it into a super performer, or take away from the smooth ride, so should i upgrade the suspension? is upgrade on this forum always synonymous with performance? is their a middle ground where the quality is better for occasional "spirited" driving, yet it will improve handling, and reliability, and last as long, or close to, oe parts, but most importantly, RETAIN the smooth ride.

I know larger rims will make it slightly harsher, but I am only going to go with 18/19 sized wheels, and I was thinking upgrading the shocks/struts might compensate, or even still improve ride quality over the stock set up.

the car rides flawlessly now, with new tires, it is just stock, and does not look how I want it to.

kinda in a quandary here. advice greatly appreciated. I am current reading every single build thread and advice thread I can find.

car is immaculate.
Old 07-09-14, 10:31 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

here bro.

http://www.carsdirect.com/aftermarke...-disadvantages

http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...-tire-size.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_suspension
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A26A163A1.aspx
Old 07-10-14, 03:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the forums.... Before suspension i probably would change all the fluids, check brakes, balljoints, then go from there... PM me with any questions...
Old 07-10-14, 10:47 AM
rofflehous
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running 19s with a 235 35 19 pilot sport and Megan lp coils.

While my ride isn't horrible it certainly isn't stock.
If you want to keep a stock feel I'd suggest some lowering springs and a size 18 with some more meaty tires.
I didn't understand the difference the tires made but they make a big difference as far as road noise and feel are concerned.
Old 07-10-14, 04:59 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justdance
planning on putting some reasonably sized larger rims on their, and upgrading the brakes. nothing fantastic, just make it look a little better and stop a little better over stock.

my question is, I have NO desire to attempt to turn it into a super performer, or take away from the smooth ride, so should i upgrade the suspension? is upgrade on this forum always synonymous with performance? is their a middle ground where the quality is better for occasional "spirited" driving, yet it will improve handling, and reliability, and last as long, or close to, oe parts, but most importantly, RETAIN the smooth ride.

I know larger rims will make it slightly harsher, but I am only going to go with 18/19 sized wheels, and I was thinking upgrading the shocks/struts might compensate, or even still improve ride quality over the stock set up.

the car rides flawlessly now, with new tires, it is just stock, and does not look how I want it to.

kinda in a quandary here. advice greatly appreciated. I am current reading every single build thread and advice thread I can find.

car is immaculate.
It is about due for the 90k mile service. If everything else is OK, I'd probably start with that. Even though yours runs great now, these cars are known for lower ball joint issues. That would be next on my list. They have been known to fail with no forewarning. After those items, then perhaps I would start looking to upgrade things. Although, I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-10-14, 05:03 PM
justdance
Driver School Candidate

its getting full 90k service, fuel filter, ball joints, whatever else looks suspect in the mean time. previous owner was meticulous. all fluids are new. hes on here I think.

I will read the threads linked.

I am more looking to learn about upgrading without sacrificing ride quality. I dont want to lower it at all. I know it goes against the grain, but I figure more meat for the bigger rims.
Old 07-10-14, 06:25 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you upsize wheels id definitely lower it. I'm on df210 springs with a coil cut and I couldn't be happier, well once I install RCA kit to close up the wheel gap, I couldn't be happier but that's me. Rides great stock shocks still and 18 inch wheels. Sounds like df210 springs would suit your needs. I got the ones for the v8 for the higher spring rate. GL and congrats!
Old 07-10-14, 06:26 PM
rofflehous
Driver

I wouldn't go much larger because your going to turn your car into a monster truck. Possibly just some 17-18 inch wheels
Old 07-10-14, 08:25 PM
robbaric
Driver School Candidate

My gs400 is lowered on eibach springs and oem 17's with Bridgestone 245/40/17
Thanks to previous owner BA_gs400 (Allan)
Rides good imo

just picked up a completely stock 98 gs400, 87k, should I upgrade the suspension?-forumrunner_20140710_232500.png
Old 07-10-14, 09:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justdance

my question is, I have NO desire to attempt to turn it into a super performer, or take away from the smooth ride, so should i upgrade the suspension? ... RETAIN the smooth ride.

car is immaculate.
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice find at 87K. It's a great car for ride/isolation from the road. I find it doesn't do well on high speed sweepers. Too much body roll and vague steering.

18 inch helps to fill out the wheel wells and won't do too much to screw up the ride.

Here's a cheapo fix that might make you happy. I did this on my 96 Camry. Not interested on spending anymore on my ride right now but... KYB GR2 shocks/struts if your car's bobbing around too much.

It really depends on what you're after. I do spirited driving too. I like the stock ride but there's times when I really want the extra crisp and sharp handling.

Not too many options unless you want to spend big bucks. The car was meant to be a cruiser.
Old 07-10-14, 10:02 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

90k + balljoints. While theyre in there, have them check the power steering pump hose to see if it shows signs of leaking. That leak will cause your alternator to go out. Common problem with 98-00 GS400. It just recently shorted mine out. Wouldve saved myself some money if I had just taken it in when I first noticed some fluid leaking out from under my car. It was more like a few drops here and there, but I brushed it off.
Old 07-10-14, 10:07 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Def. Agree! First things first. Making sure the car is up to par thus far, lower Ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, all that fun stuff. Good thing is, it's all very cheap and well worth it. Prior to doing my entire suspension over haul I made sure to take care of the motor first though. Did the timing belt, water pump, VVTI pulley rebuild (DIY), new plugs, valve cover gaskets, cam seals and crank shaft seal, the whole nine yards, which is also cheap, you can buy the "Timing belt kit" that comes with pretty much everything you'd want to replace when doing to timing belt, because most of the parts, are acceptable only when you remove all the parts you must in order to do the timing belt anyhow, look through the kits and find the best one, there also very cheap. Go through your oils, at the milage your at, is suggest def. Doing a full Trans flush since your still pretty low, will def. Save that Trans in the future or avoid any issues down the road for sure. Motor oil, diff. Oil, and yea, car will suprise the hell out of you after that. And if you want when doing your suspension overhaul, pick yourself up some coilovers to compliment the new wheels you choose to run, I'm currently on 18's and my car is smooth as hell.... I went with BC coilovers with 12/10 spring rates. When I finished all that, with ALL the bushings, the reward, was priceless. Good luck. There's tons of DIY'ers all over this forum. ANYTHING you need help with, don't hesitate to simply type in whatever it may be into that search bar ^^ up there. Trust me, whatever your question may be, it's been asked in every way possible, you'll see, try it. Haha. Cheers.
Old 07-30-21, 06:23 PM
UZS160GS
Driver School Candidate

I know this post is super old BUT that looks amazing man. I plan to keep mine till the wheels fall off and she’s in great shape still. This is literally the look I’m going for. Im gonna get a spoiler now and tint the tail lamps as I had planned. The look great with a deep red in it. I felt compelled to compliment this. Cheers.