GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Doing Plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets, any tips?

Old 07-07-14, 12:10 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Doing Plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets, any tips?

Bought new oem plugs for my 300 over the weekend and am expecting the plug wires and valve cover gaskets to get here Tuesday or Wednesday, I've never done this on our car, and yes I've looked at the DIYs I could find, just wondering if there's any tips you may have, I've read the little plastic connectors to the coil packs I believe often break? I'm wondering if I should just buy some in case so I'm not stuck with a taken apart car I can't drive to get them.. Also wondering whether you need any sealant for the gaskets, a mechanic told me I didn't for a rubber gasket but others have said differently, thank you for any input
Old 07-07-14, 04:51 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Main tip I can give you is get the coil pack connector clips for the harnesses. You will break these if they are not already broken. Take a pic of the wiring setup with your cell phone to make sure you get it back right. The driver side valve cover is a pain in the a$$
Old 07-07-14, 06:10 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Leave the coil packs connected and move them to the side...
Old 07-07-14, 06:52 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to do that Frank and then got a code, forgot number, but referenced bad ignitor. turns out the clips had turned to dust and connection was bad. replaced those and everything has been fine ever since.
Old 07-07-14, 08:44 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not just the plastic clips that connect to the coil packs but the entire wiring harness is likely to crumble. I'd get new clips. There cheap on eBay. I got 6 for about $20, needed only three. My biggest issue was the bits of wiring harness, clips and oil falling into the plug valley. Make sure you clean that valley out as best you can BEFORE removing the plugs least you risk getting oil and plastic in your cylinders (ask me how I know).

The driver side cover is not so bad, you just have to take the Y-tube off first. Do that and the whole job becomes easier. Replace one coil pack and plug set and wires at a time. That way you don't have to worry about getting them confused.

Lastly, there is a recess in the valve cover that the gasket fits up into. Therefore, there is no need for adhesive when replacing them. I replaced mine a couple of months ago; no sealant; no leaks, no problems. The biggest problem I have found with VC gaskets is the tendency to over tighten them (or tighten them out-of-sequence) which causes them to leak. Then people want to put gasket sealer on them to fix the leak..
Old 07-10-14, 02:10 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Not just the plastic clips that connect to the coil packs but the entire wiring harness is likely to crumble. I'd get new clips. There cheap on eBay. I got 6 for about $20, needed only three. My biggest issue was the bits of wiring harness, clips and oil falling into the plug valley. Make sure you clean that valley out as best you can BEFORE removing the plugs least you risk getting oil and plastic in your cylinders (ask me how I know).

The driver side cover is not so bad, you just have to take the Y-tube off first. Do that and the whole job becomes easier. Replace one coil pack and plug set and wires at a time. That way you don't have to worry about getting them confused.

Lastly, there is a recess in the valve cover that the gasket fits up into. Therefore, there is no need for adhesive when replacing them. I replaced mine a couple of months ago; no sealant; no leaks, no problems. The biggest problem I have found with VC gaskets is the tendency to over tighten them (or tighten them out-of-sequence) which causes them to leak. Then people want to put gasket sealer on them to fix the leak..
So is there 6 clips? I'm just going to buy them, I could be mistaken isn't there 3 plug wires and 3 coil packs?
Old 07-10-14, 05:13 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The harness plugs into each of the coil packs. So, you'll need only three clips. But I think they come in packs of six, at least the ones I bought did. You are correct, three of the plugs plug into wires, the other three spark plugs plug directly into the coil pack. Which means you'll only have three spark plug wires as well.
Old 07-10-14, 05:54 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

parts i used a couple months ago

plugs: NGK BKR5EIX11
wires: NGK TE79

useful advice on japanese is to go with ngk/denso (the oem) whenever possible

boots: BECK/ARNLEY 1751064
VCG: BECK/ARNLEY 0361688, 0361689

i just went with what was cheaper at the time-- unknown to me if there's a difference in quality among other brands. i've read felpro is good, ngk/denso is the oem

coil connector: went OEM here, not sure there's an aftermarket supplier for this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-2JZ-GE-Lexus-SC300-Ignition-coil-connector-set-Soarer-VVTi-Supra-/231062820534?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cc6ad6b6&vxp=mtr

Last edited by offbad; 07-10-14 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 10:14 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutt away as much and replace as much of the coilpack connectors wiring and replace it with new for you'll see. It's all going to crumble away as well. And yes, DO USE FIPG with your valve cover gaskets, that's foolish not to. Apply very small amounts around every bolt port, and all corners, and yes that's with gaskets as well. Trust me, do the job right the first time. As the techs do it themselves.
Old 07-11-14, 08:45 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

This was as easy as 1-2-3. I bought the Denso plugs, OEM wires, boots, and valve covers. I had nothing broke on me though, and I just let most of the oil fall into the cylinders(it'll burn off). I used no sealant, after 5 months no leaks. I also changed the PVC, EGR valves with OEM, and a couple of vacuum hoses. Easy.
Old 07-12-14, 04:37 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Thanks guys, my dealer didn't have the connectors so I ordered them, should have it done on Wednesday, lucky there's some nice YouTube DIYs on plugs and valve cover gaskets on an is300
Old 07-15-14, 09:53 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Thanks guys, my dealer didn't have the connectors so I ordered them, should have it done on Wednesday, lucky there's some nice YouTube DIYs on plugs and valve cover gaskets on an is300
Yea the last guy that posted this EXACT same question actually, I posted the links for the connectors on ebay, and the guy that sounds like he's from Russia video he made of IS300/GS300 valve cover gasket replacement. It's actually a very good video he really must have taken a lot of time to record EVERY dang step man... Very cool of him.
Old 07-15-14, 09:57 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

"Derr is forrr bolts, you weil remove.... dis vwon, dis vwon, and dis vwon" hahaha
Old 07-15-14, 10:19 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course I broke all 6 clips on the packs but theyre fine Ill change them down the line. For the driver side valve cover youll need to pull the harness up as much as you can and start wiggling the cover out. It was pretty tough getting it back on as well.

The coolant hoses on the throttle body are a absolute biotch to get off and put back on especially the one at the bottom,

Also be care putting the hoses back on the nipple for the pcv sliced the hose but it was only a little bit so I didnt need to replace it.
Old 07-15-14, 11:07 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Solution to your first problem: make a custom harness, junk a large portion of that plastic that the wires are in, thus allowing full access with zero in your way, and get the heat resistant wire loom and clean it all up. It looks better and makes things much easier to work with. I'll get a photo of what I'm talkin about when I get a chance k. I pretty much kept only the bottom right corner "T" portion should I call it, of the plastic but cut it so the hanger bolt for it is still a part if it to hold it in place. 2nd one, um.... Don't remember it pissing me off lol...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing Plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets, any tips?